Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I continue to pursue a career in law ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am considering what career options to pursue and have wanted to go into a career in law, it seems from what I have seen that due to my A levels my chances to get one is low. Also its just not possible for me to fund the LPC myself, especially if even after the course I may not get a TC. I got 3 Bs at A level in History, Eng lit and Economics and am currently sitting on a first in my law LL.B degree from the University of Law. Should I start seriously considering another career path?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasBlank709)
    Also its just not possible for me to fund the LPC myself, especially if even after the course I may not get a TC.
    Generally not the best idea anyway.

How far through your law degree are you?

Have you applied for/ done any vac schemes or other placements?

What sort of firms are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Generally not the best idea anyway.

How far through your law degree are you?

Have you applied for/ done any vac schemes or other placements?

What sort of firms are you thinking of?
    I'm in third-year atm I haven't done any vac schemes but I have done some of the pro bono that the uni offers. I would be happy to wait a year or so and strengthen my cv with more work experience and other placements, my bigger concern is that due to my A levels and not being at an RG university I will always be filtered out of those applications. I would be delighted to work at a regional firm but honestly, I would take any TC.

ReputationRep:
    There are firms, even city ones, who won’t filter you out with 3 Bs, and a first shows you’re bright. Chambers have a list of firms and their academic requirements...

The other question, were there any extenuating circumstances? Would you be eligible for any diversity initiatives? E.g. are you the first in your family to go to university, did you get free school meals?

I know of a guy who did poorly at school, went to a lowly ranked uni (St Mary’s) but then got the highest first they’d ever had there. He now has a TC at a leading US firm...but his grades were poor because he worked through school and college to support his family...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.