Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Need some advice on that next step? Whether your choosing your A-levels and BTECs or looking for a graduate job, thinking about doing an apprenticeship or thinking about dropping out of uni, our experts are on hand to share their pearls of wisdom.

This Q+A is for you if.....
    • I've signed up for A-levels, but now I am thinking that might not be right for me and want to consider other options... what are they?
    • I'm not sure if uni is really for me. But I am applying anyway because I think I should probably go.
    • I want to drop out for uni.... should I?
    • I think I might want to go into work or perhaps an apprenticeship but I'm not sure where to start or what to do next.
    • I want to go for a job or apprenticeship but I have no interview experience... getting into uni might be easier but I don't really want to go. How can I prepare?
    • I'm quite an anxious person, I don't know if I'll be OK at uni. I really want to go but I don't know if I'll cope.
    • Uni feels like a big regret. I'm struggling to settle in, I still haven't really made any good mates.
    • I've heard getting a graduate job is really hard, how do I get one?
    • I'm struggling to get a job following graduation, what am I doing wrong?

Submit your question here and our experts will be online Monday 20th November 4-6pm

Introducing our experts:

Sheffield Hallam University

Dr Phil Bloor, Head of the Admissions Service
    My team processes all the applications for our undergraduate courses, including our degree apprenticeships and our full time degree courses. I have a wide knowledge of routes into higher education, gained over my fifteen years spent working in University admissions.

National Apprenticeship Service

Ben, IT Advance Apprentice
    I started my apprenticeship at 18 and now an IT Degree student studying Digital and Technology whilst working full time at 21. Currently I'm working as an IT Project Manager; delivering new products to software upgrades for the Banking Corporation.

Hayley, Civil Service Fast Track Apprentice
    Throughout sixth form I was unsure of what career path I wanted to take, all of my peers and teachers pushed me to go to university as it was the traditional route to take after A levels. However, with having no concrete idea of what career I wanted, I worried that going to university may narrow my career path in the future. I wanted a route that would enable me to gain experience and qualifications without a big price tag.

Therefore, I looked into and applied for apprenticeships; as it showed me a different path to achieving success. Gaining practical and relevant experience contributing to a qualification and obviously earning whilst learning really appealed to me.

Since starting my apprenticeship at the Education and Skills Funding Agency, I have been a part of a National Apprenticeship Service and seeing what employers, training providers and apprentices want and need from an apprenticeship; so being an apprentice myself it has given me more of an insight into why apprenticeships are so beneficial for people and has made me proud to say that I chose an apprenticeship over university.

I'm currently completing a higher apprenticeship in Business Administration and have had opportunities to speak at the House of Commons, visit and work at multiple regions across England and experience life as a full time employee.

Sussex Coast College

Jordan, HE Admissions Coordinator
    I really enjoy supporting students on their journey in to higher education and training. I know that applying to university can sometime seem confusing or even a bit overwhelming, so I am passionate about ensuring that students have the right support, information and advice available to them. In my role as HE Admissions Co-ordinator, I guide students from the moment they express interest in a course, through the application and interview process, and then in applying for student finance. I like to be a friendly, approachable face, and I thrive on providing personalised advice and support to students.

At UCH our focus is delivering a personalised approach to learning with smaller class sizes and closer student to tutor tuition. All of our degree courses are validated by the University of Brighton and are taught by practising industry professionals. This along with lower course fees, opportunities to study at HNC or HND level too makes studying with us an attractive option instead of the more traditional university route. The focus of our offer is very much about Hastings and the South East as a destination, in part due to its picturesque seaside appeal but also as the curriculum offer is very carefully matched to that of the industry sectors in the area. This makes finding employment after graduation more likely.

BT

More info to come

Submit your question here and our experts will be online Monday 20th November 4-6pm
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by University Centre Hastings)
    test
    Hi!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.