Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lord of the Rings - TV Adapation! by Amazon Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...show-confirmed

I might have died inside a little:woo::sexface::nutcase::love::innocent::happy2::drool::cheers:
    This better be dope and not some money grab only :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...show-confirmed

I might have died inside a little:woo::sexface::nutcase::love::innocent::happy2::drool::cheers:
    This better be dope and not some money grab only :cry2:
    If this happens perhaps they would use content from The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Gonna reserve judgement on this I think. :beard: Amazon have had some hits and misses with their original content, so who knows what this will end up like.

I hope they don't end up wasting episodes on Tom Bombadil though. :nooo:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm really excited for this :woo:

Moved to TV shows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekuyper)
    If this happens perhaps they would use content from The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales?
    I believe somewhere it says that they are looking to start with "The fellowship" so i think they might just be going off around the first 3 movies of LotR

(Original post by Dez)
    Gonna reserve judgement on this I think. :beard: Amazon have had some hits and misses with their original content, so who knows what this will end up like.

Yeah defo hit or miss, they are going to be working with some of the people who did stuff on the 3 movies so lets hope we have some promise I wonder who the cast might be
    :beard:

(Original post by Rum Ham)
    I'm really excited for this :woo:

Moved to TV shows
    IKRRRRRR, Lord of the Rings is like my most favourite thing of all timeeee. I always imagined heaven would be "Middle Earth" :p:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    I believe somewhere it says that they are looking to start with "The fellowship" so i think they might just be going off around the first 3 movies of LotR

Yeah defo hit or miss, they are going to be working with some of the people who did stuff on the 3 movies so lets hope we have some promise I wonder who the cast might be
    :beard:
    IKRRRRRR, Lord of the Rings is like my most favourite thing of all timeeee. I always imagined heaven would be "Middle Earth" :p:love:
    So it's going to be the same story but different actors doing "The Fellowship of the Ring" or is it concerning events surrounding it? I remember in the novel there was war in other regions of Middle Earth besides what was experienced by Frodo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekuyper)
    So it's going to be the same story but different actors doing "The Fellowship of the Ring" or is it concerning events surrounding it? I remember in the novel there was war in other regions of Middle Earth besides what was experienced by Frodo.
    Actually looks like its about the events leading up to the Fellowship for the first bit. But , I think its really early development still so they probably arent set and stone.

BBC - "The new series will tell stories based on what happened prior to The Fellowship Of The Ring - the first part of JRR Tolkien's trilogy."

ReputationRep:
    They better not kill the name. That's a lot of money that they're
    going
    to have to use to make sure it's good.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this doesn't ruin the movies for me, though I'm expecting pretty good things given the budget.

I'll remain optimistic for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I hope they don't end up wasting episodes on Tom Bombadil though.
    How can you not want to see the only character in the whole of English literature who speaks in old English metre, a charmer who provides a dreamlike transition between the cosy Shire and the outside world, who leads us into the barrow downs and who has a girlfriend called Goldberry?

ReputationRep:
    This just reeks of a cash grab, the last hobbit film is not even 3 years old (and that trilogy was basically a cash grab trying to stretch a 300 page long book into three movies) and they are now rebooting it. Clearly no originality
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How can you not want to see the only character in the whole of English literature who speaks in old English metre, a charmer who provides a dreamlike transition between the cosy Shire and the outside world, who leads us into the barrow downs and who has a girlfriend called Goldberry?
    He was so annoying though. :p: I think the transition from book to screen would be awful too, there's no way they could do that without it coming out incredibly corny.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Omgomgomgomg! OMG. I've long thought a GoT-esque TV series would suit LoTR (and Harry Potter) very well. So much of the detail was left out of the films, this has to potential to be great. Amazon, if you screw this up... I'll come for yer.

(Original post by Dez)
    EH!? It has to include Tom, who else could save Frodo from the Barrow-wights?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    EH!? It has to include Tom, who else could save Frodo from the Barrow-wights?
    Just get the eagles to do it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Pft, that's like saying get the eagles to take Frodo from the Shire to Mount Doom. We'll have none of that talk, mister. :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    Pft, that's like saying get the eagles to take Frodo from the Shire to Mount Doom. We'll have none of that talk, mister. :naughty:
    Riding Eagles is animal cruelty! :cry2: They should have arrested them all!
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Burrowing giant eagles?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Of course that's ridiculous, the brown eagles were far too busy to fly Frodo, what with taking all those aerial countryside shots for the New Zealand tourist board.

(Original post by Good bloke)
    Burrowing giant eagles?
    Well they've got magic? Can't be too hard. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see why people are so precious about LotR. Prior to Peter Jackson, there were only "bad" versions of it, so why Amazon are under some kind of external pressure from fans to do it well, I don't know.

I think that since GoT, everyone's a fantasy fan and expects it to be done well - when the history of this kind of programme / movie is that it is almost always done exceptionally badly. GoT and Peter Jackson LotR are pretty much the only examples of it being done well that I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Well they've got magic? Can't be too hard. :dontknow:
    But they are too busy photographing New Zealand from above to be available for burrowing into barrows.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.