Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the A Level grades to meet my offer for medicine so now I am a first year biomed student and I'm hoping to get into graduate medicine. However, I've realised that I'm not really enjoying biomed that much because it's medicine that I really want to be doing because biomed is more training people to be lab-based scientists which isn't what I want to do, so I've been thinking that I would prefer to spend 3 years studying psychology rather than biomed. So what I really want to know is what are the chances of getting into GEM with a BSc in psych? Or should I just stick it out with biomed for 3 years?
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    I didn't get the A Level grades to meet my offer for medicine so now I am a first year biomed student and I'm hoping to get into graduate medicine. However, I've realised that I'm not really enjoying biomed that much because it's medicine that I really want to be doing because biomed is more training people to be lab-based scientists which isn't what I want to do, so I've been thinking that I would prefer to spend 3 years studying psychology rather than biomed. So what I really want to know is what are the chances of getting into GEM with a BSc in psych? Or should I just stick it out with biomed for 3 years?
    Thanks!!
    Is it just the lab work or is it the content of a biomed degree that you dont like?

Here is a link to lots of info (including what medicals schools offer GEM and what subjects that accept) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dicine-a-guide

Doing biomed would leave more medical schools open to you and make some of the course easier from what I understand as similar content is covered in medicine theory wise to biomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Is it just the lab work or is it the content of a biomed degree that you dont like?

Here is a link to lots of info (including what medicals schools offer GEM and what subjects that accept) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dicine-a-guide

Doing biomed would leave more medical schools open to you and make some of the course easier from what I understand as similar content is covered in medicine theory wise to biomed
    Thank you so much for the link - very useful!
    Yeah that's true, the work in biomed would be much more relevant and I can imagine that Medicine would be much more difficult without a biosci degree!
    Yeah I dread the weekly practicals tbh haha... they're completely irrelevant to medicine and mostly quite chemistry-related! Also we have to do biochemistry and plant modules this year which are awful... Psychiatry is what I want to do right now anyway so I feel that psychology would be much more fascinating!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.