Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good morning! I'm really struggling to pick between what university to pick, I've been told i'm likely to get into both which doesn't help! I'm interested in both courses for different reasons, which also doesn't help! Course 1 is 27.5 hours a week and is a FdA, I already know the hours and is very local. Course 2 is 35/40 minute drive away, a full BA and is 12 hours a week over 3 days but no clue on timetable, spoke to some students and they say around between 10-3 is the norm. I have two young children, one of which has additional needs, so trying to decide which course will suit my life best. Although I'm really struggling to decide, any outside view/ advice would be very much appreciated. I've done a pros and cons list and I still don't know.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Charliee_xox)
    Good morning! I'm really struggling to pick between what university to pick, I've been told i'm likely to get into both which doesn't help! I'm interested in both courses for different reasons, which also doesn't help! Course 1 is 27.5 hours a week and is a FdA, I already know the hours and is very local. Course 2 is 35/40 minute drive away, a full BA and is 12 hours a week over 3 days but no clue on timetable, spoke to some students and they say around between 10-3 is the norm. I have two young children, one of which has additional needs, so trying to decide which course will suit my life best. Although I'm really struggling to decide, any outside view/ advice would be very much appreciated. I've done a pros and cons list and I still don't know.
    Whats the course and which unis?
    What do you hope to do?
    How old are you (roughly)
    What are your qualifications like?
    Have you visited either?
    Do either offer childcare?

A standalone FDA normally takes two years. You will need to get a top up degree after. There will be a limited number of top up degrees, so you would have to ask unis if they would accept you onto a main degree course.

I would say foundation is an option if you are keen to get to uni and its a particularly good course. You can also move elsewhere with it if you can find someone who accepts it.

Three year degree is what most people take.

I think you need to consider how useful the course is to you for helping you get where you wish to go? its not clear where that is? If you arent used t studying but know the degree you want, then maybe consider a degree with a foundation year?

You should also consider filling in some of the blanks to the questions at the start and that might put you in a much better position of knowing which one is right.

I thought there might be a clearer winner, but on reflection theres not enough information. Once you have that information if you find its still close then you just have to go on gut, but knowing you found out all you could.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.