Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Put driving on the school curriculum Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5047836

about monetary reward for doing well at school.

I don't think it's in any way workable due to an array of factors.

One thing I've been thinking about for a long time though, would be to have driving / driving tests integrated into schooling. If students can show improvement or sustain certain levels, then they are eligible for the (free) driving programme - which is taught outside the school and delivered by local instructors by way of a voucher system.

Not perfect, but its non-monetary and may well appeal to most strata of students.

ReputationRep:
    Wait i'm confused? Whose going to pay the instructor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Wait i'm confused? Whose going to pay the instructor?
    The school issues a voucher, backed by government, which is redeemed by the instructor - so either local or central government, whichever is cheaper
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    And what about people who aren't allowed to drive due to medical problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    The school issues a voucher, backed by government, which is redeemed by the instructor - so either local or central government, whichever is cheaper
    When I learnt to drive I spent around £35 for a two hour lesson... Let's just call it £40 (i passed a few years ago).. So 35 students per class (i appreciate this number can go up and down) that's £1400 for all of those students to have one lesson...

Schools are already massively having their funding cut so while it is a good idea in theory it would be way to expensive to do...
    Then you also have to consider would it also be the government forking out the £90 or so for the theory and practical test?

ReputationRep:
    Too late, self driving cars are eventually going to replace driving altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Government (local or national) certainly isn't going to pay for this. No-one has a human right to drive. You want it, you pay for it. Welcome to life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    There's this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5047836

about monetary reward for doing well at school.

I don't think it's in any way workable due to an array of factors.

One thing I've been thinking about for a long time though, would be to have driving / driving tests integrated into schooling. If students can show improvement or sustain certain levels, then they are eligible for the (free) driving programme - which is taught outside the school and delivered by local instructors by way of a voucher system.

Not perfect, but its non-monetary and may well appeal to most strata of students.
    I have heard of some schools offering students the Pass Plus scheme at a discounted rate as a scheme with the council, I doubt that driving will be put on the school curriculum as if people want to drive then they should pay for it themselves imo. However, yes if there are schemes in place from the government in relation to driving and the prices then it would be good.

ReputationRep:
    only if i can ****in crash into the school ay lmao

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.