Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rejected for Open Day, shall I still apply for TC? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected by Clifford Chance (Open Day) and S&M (Winter Workshop), so does this mean they'll likely reject me if I apply for a TC?

Edited to add:

I think I know why they rejected me - I probably didn't answer the "why X firm" question properly. I was wondering how much do you have to know about a firm? What do you have to know?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Da Di Doo)
    I was rejected by Clifford Chance (Open Day) and S&M (Winter Workshop), so does this mean they'll likely reject me if I apply for a TC?
    No, but your paper application wasnt as good as some of the others they saw. You shouldnt let it put you off as it is very competitive. Your research should have made sure you are in with a reasonable shot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Try to critically evaluate where your application may have fallen down, try to work out how you can improve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No, but your paper application wasnt as good as some of the others they saw. You shouldnt let it put you off as it is very competitive. Your research should have made sure you are in with a reasonable shot.
    Open Days are very competitive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insecable)
    Are they?
    Not really. If you apply, you tend to get accepted. It is more people not knowing or not having the confidence to apply.
    • Very Important Poster

Not really. If you apply, you tend to get accepted. It is more people not knowing or not having the confidence to apply.
    I was thinking more about the winter workshop, but it would help to have the actual data of applicants to places. Even so the OP managed it, in which case its up to them to identify why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Try to critically evaluate where your application may have fallen down, try to work out how you can improve it.
    Hi, thank you for responding.

I think I know why they rejected me - I probably didn't answer the "why X firm" question properly. I was wondering how much do you have to know about a firm? What exactly do you have to know? I just wrote about a recent deal that interested me.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience that isn’t true, otherwise why have questions to assess you on?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Di Doo)
    Hi, thank you for responding.

I think I know why they rejected me - I probably didn't answer the "why X firm" question properly. I was wondering how much do you have to know about a firm? What exactly do you have to know? I just wrote about a recent deal that interested me.
    Explaining a deal isn’t answering the question. You have to link why the firm can meet your career aspirations. The application form is about you, not them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They can be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It’s not uncommon for firms to get 100s of applications for open days that might be restricted to 20-25 people.

Some tend to have easier/quicker application processes and sometimes open to more groups of people, meaning you get more applicants as people don’t have to invest the same amount of time as a vac scheme or TC app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montyr)
    In my experience that isn’t true, otherwise why have questions to assess you on?
    For the same reason that people on high 2:2s first year win UK-wide MC essay competitions, for a VS. For the firm it seems like a good idea at the time, but when you have 10% of the submissions you expected, that good idea becomes lost. If it is under-subscribed because no one knows about the event, then it cannot be said to be difficult to get on.

This is the same for firm visits to unis which require you to sign up 2 months in advance, requires you to submit a little written summary of why you want free cheese and wine, and then 90 mins before the event the law school sends out a panicked mass email telling people to turn up as no one registered. That said, even those uni visits have exceptions, such as the secret invite-only luncheons which the US firms like to pull.

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to use a different email address. I did this at one MC which rejected for vac and got a TC offer albeit a couple of years later.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatlined)
    Probably best to use a different email address. I did this at one MC which rejected for vac and got a TC offer albeit a couple of years later.
    Their recruitment database systems are sophisticated enough to flag up a potential duplicate application even if you do use a different email address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Their recruitment database systems are sophisticated enough to flag up a potential duplicate application even if you do use a different email address.
    In a separate round, years apart?

I suggest you familiarise yourself with data protection law. It is good practice to only retain this data for c. 3-6 months. Hanging on to the next year would likely breach the DPA.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In a separate round, years apart?
    Yes - although data protection rules best practice means the data should have been wiped in that time anyway, so it wouldn't matter what email address was used. But if they don't bother wiping the data then it would still be flagged up. Only chance of it not would be if the firm were using a different recruitment database.

Either way, using a seperate email address is unlikely to have any impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes - although data protection rules best practice means the data should have been wiped in that time anyway, so it wouldn't matter what email address was used. But if they don't bother wiping the data then it would still be flagged up. Only chance of it not would be if the firm were using a different recruitment database.

Either way, using a seperate email address is unlikely to have any impact.
    I edited my post without seeing this. But yes, that kind of data won't be flagged up in separate rounds otherwise firms would be breaching data protection. For example, I'm pretty sure the MC firms have stated DPA rules about deleting data in 6-12 months from applicants on their portals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I edited my post without seeing this. But yes, that kind of data won't be flagged up in separate rounds otherwise firms would be breaching data protection. For example, I'm pretty sure the MC firms have stated DPA rules about deleting data in 6-12 months from applicants on their portals.
    You'd have thought so, but there are a few ways in which they can justify having it on their system for longer (e.g. saying you can't reapply again within a certain timeframe or ever again). The changes in May of next year might make it more interesting/difficult to retain such data though.

Most firms get round it these days by having a question on their application form asking whether you have applied before though.

But any way your suggestion of using another email address wouldn't be necessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.