Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

in college and still awkward around guys :/ Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why, but all my life I could never have a conversation with a guy.. I just end it unconsciously. Also, I get very awkward, very quiet, and I can't even make eye contact sometimes. However, when I'm with my gals or any other girl, I can speak just fine. Funny thing is my best gals are outgoing, beautiful, popular women who are always surrounded by guys. I always try to find an excuse to opt out of group hang outs when there are guys and it really makes me feel horrible. To be honest, it'd be great to have a guy friend and all (maybe even a boyfriend by now), but first I need to learn how to have a convo with a male.. why am I still in my puberty stage :'(

ReputationRep:
    You'll get more confident. Have you got a job? I found getting a part-time job in a shop when I was 16 really helped my confidence as it forced me to talk to everybody. Now I can talk to pretty much anyone without feeling too awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You'll get more confident. Have you got a job? I found getting a part-time job in a shop when I was 16 really helped my confidence as it forced me to talk to everybody. Now I can talk to pretty much anyone without feeling too awkward.
    I actually never had a job before but I was a sports gal back in high school, team captain and everything, but obviously that just opened myself up to females. I was even a board member for a pretty big club in my high school. AHH what's wrong with me. But thank you for this idea!! I think a job may help my awkward personality a bit!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any close guy friends? I’ve found that once you have one friend thats a guy it suddenly becomes way easier
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Get yourself comfortable around guys by being around them more.

Join a club or something with some male members.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by m-k1)
      Do you have any close guy friends? I’ve found that once you have one friend thats a guy it suddenly becomes way easier
      I actually don't have any close guy friends. I think I can pretty much count how many guys I sort of talk to with my fingers. I also found out that about majority of the guys I sort of talk to are feminine.. I just can't seem to start or continue a conversation with like a "normal" guy and I'm guessing that's why I don't have an actual guy I can call a friend. Sad :'(

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      Get yourself comfortable around guys by being around them more.

Join a club or something with some male members.
      Since my close gals are always surrounded by guys, it's inevitable that I have to be around them sometimes.. BUT I JUST FEEL AWKWARD caus I don't talk to them and only hang out with my girls.

Luckily, my best friend is now an intern to be board for probably the biggest and wildest club on campus. I have been trying to attend the club's events and parties, but coincidently I have night classes, which are during these events. Funny right hopefully next quarter I'll be able to do some events, but I can see myself around my gals AGAIN

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.