Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good morning,
    I am 21 years old and a UWE Bristol student studying Journalism and PR.
    I moved to uni a month late due to me applying through clearing and there being limited accommodation to choose from. I am originally from Kent and so it was very hard to find somewhere with value for money whilst being over 100 miles away. I had to settle for a studio, an hour and a half walk from the campus I am based at and at a whopping 888 a month, it is the most expensive option of uni accommodation, for the same price I could have a one bedroom house right by the uni campus. I have been paying 4.50 a day for the bus - which if I am honest is hindering my attendance at uni (which was not great anyway due to being a late starter).
    I am entitled to nearly four thousand pounds maintenance grant, which is given in three installments, the first installment covered the deposit and first months rent. There was an option to apply for extra support, I sent the forms to my parents and they gave information about their income but my student finance still hasn't been updated, which is leading me to believe that I'm not entitled to anything. I am behind on rent again this month and despite securing two jobs I still wont be able to make 222 a week for the rent, plus the 22.50 a week for the bus, let alone food and other outgoings.
    My mum is the only person that works in my household, my dad hasn't been working for a few years. There is no way they can pay my rent and if I am honest I do not want them to as it is not their responsibility.
    I am at a loss and everyone I have spoken to has not been very helpful or given me any hope.
    All I want is to pay my rent, not have to hassle my parents for money and start focusing on my studies rather than stressing about my rent.
    I hope you can help me!
    Kind regards
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissboo)
    Good morning,
    I am 21 years old and a UWE Bristol student studying Journalism and PR.
    I moved to uni a month late due to me applying through clearing and there being limited accommodation to choose from. I am originally from Kent and so it was very hard to find somewhere with value for money whilst being over 100 miles away. I had to settle for a studio, an hour and a half walk from the campus I am based at and at a whopping 888 a month, it is the most expensive option of uni accommodation, for the same price I could have a one bedroom house right by the uni campus. I have been paying 4.50 a day for the bus - which if I am honest is hindering my attendance at uni (which was not great anyway due to being a late starter).
    I am entitled to nearly four thousand pounds maintenance grant, which is given in three installments, the first installment covered the deposit and first months rent. There was an option to apply for extra support, I sent the forms to my parents and they gave information about their income but my student finance still hasn't been updated, which is leading me to believe that I'm not entitled to anything. I am behind on rent again this month and despite securing two jobs I still wont be able to make 222 a week for the rent, plus the 22.50 a week for the bus, let alone food and other outgoings.
    My mum is the only person that works in my household, my dad hasn't been working for a few years. There is no way they can pay my rent and if I am honest I do not want them to as it is not their responsibility.
    I am at a loss and everyone I have spoken to has not been very helpful or given me any hope.
    All I want is to pay my rent, not have to hassle my parents for money and start focusing on my studies rather than stressing about my rent.
    I hope you can help me!
    Kind regards
    Hi lilmissboo,

Financial evidence is currently taking 20 working days to process from the date we received this, if it has been more than this then we would advise that you contact us so that we can look into this further.

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks

Catherine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.