Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm gonna try to keep this short but in essence i'm incredibly stressed (as i'm sure many others are) about a levels and universities. My 4 a levels are Physics, maths, ICT and Lit, and i like all of my subjects (except for the work load of course -_-) however i feel as though i really struggle with physics.

Granted, it's still early on in the academic year but i dont feel any improvement. My previous physics test grades have been D E B D and i have a test on solid materials on Friday. Personally, though grades matter i care less about them as i do understanding and applying theory, as this leaves room for improvement, but i find this really hard, i dont know what the question asks for half of the time.

Other students in my class say that they know the answer but cant find the right wording for the examiner which isnt my problem because i find this stuff really hard to apply. My teacher told me that it would 'click' and id start to get it but i don't see any of that because i dont know how to think 'like a scientist' i guess and that really stresses me out. What do i do if i want to study astrophysics in uni?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Just to add im pretty insecure about the thought that i cant think creatively, outside the box, for myself etc... any advice on this would be great as well
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JMroueh)
    Hiya

I'm gonna try to keep this short but in essence i'm incredibly stressed (as i'm sure many others are) about a levels and universities. My 4 a levels are Physics, maths, ICT and Lit, and i like all of my subjects (except for the work load of course -_-) however i feel as though i really struggle with physics.

Granted, it's still early on in the academic year but i dont feel any improvement. My previous physics test grades have been D E B D and i have a test on solid materials on Friday. Personally, though grades matter i care less about them as i do understanding and applying theory, as this leaves room for improvement, but i find this really hard, i dont know what the question asks for half of the time.

Other students in my class say that they know the answer but cant find the right wording for the examiner which isnt my problem because i find this stuff really hard to apply. My teacher told me that it would 'click' and id start to get it but i don't see any of that because i dont know how to think 'like a scientist' i guess and that really stresses me out. What do i do if i want to study astrophysics in uni?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Just to add im pretty insecure about the thought that i cant think creatively, outside the box, for myself etc... any advice on this would be great as well
    If you want to improve, then rather than wait for it to happen by
    magic you are going to have to put some extra work in.

Get the test. identify where you went wring and why the answer is what it is.

This may mean you need to return to studying either with a revision book, youtube videos or something like snap revise. They also do revision workbooks, which will give you practice and explain the answers.

The other way is to start looking at markschemes from the exam board website. Just keep on working through and retrying tests until you improve. Wait till the end of term a least and then decide if you are making any headway and review your options. Dropping physics may be a choice, but you will also need to consider the implications.

I an bit certain (check) but if you look at entrance requirements then physics is going to be at least preferred in your degree choice I would think. they may also require two sciences and ICT may not cut it. Check the 5 or 10 unis you are interested in.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.