Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni. There are good aspects- I like having more independence, little things like being able to do my own food shop, cook my own meals. However there are bad aspects too- mainly my course. I feel bored, uninspired, I'm really not enjoying either the content or the style of learning. It makes me feel so bad that I actually considered having depression but my attitude towards everything else in life and the way I feel when I'm away from uni makes me think I don't actually have depression.

If something makes you feel bad, the obvious thing you think is not to do it. And I have considered dropping out however I currently don't have an alternative option lined up and waiting.

The sensible side of me says to finish this degree. I've made a financial commitment, a degree is a great thing to have and I'm nearly halfway through anyway.

The other half of me thinks how is it considered sensible, when I'm young, healthy, and don't have many responsibilities, to spend my time wishing years of my life away? Sure it's only a couple more years. But I don't want to wake up every day wishing it was over and I could move on with the next chapter in my life. Life's too short.

I feel stuck between the side of me that's 'sensible' and does the safe thing and the side of me that says I don't have to settle and I should be enjoying myself.

So to anyone that has any experience with dropping out of uni, how did you know it was the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    Reading this, it seems like the only aspect you like is the independence. I do think when you go to university, you do need to enjoy or have interest in the course that you are doing. It is a subject that you will spend the next 3 to 4 years and thousands of pounds studying, you want to make sure it is worth that. Also, if your course is linked to your career aims, you want to do well. Trying to work hard studying something you don't really like makes that a whole lot harder. If you feel this way now, what about next year or the year after?

If you think there is no way that you will change your mind, I would look for another course or university that will suit you better. Alternatively, you could take some time out and think about what you want to do. To hang on until the end of your degree will be too late. You are best finding a path that you enjoy and something that excites you and challenges you.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I'm at uni. There are good aspects- I like having more independence, little things like being able to do my own food shop, cook my own meals. However there are bad aspects too- mainly my course. I feel bored, uninspired, I'm really not enjoying either the content or the style of learning. It makes me feel so bad that I actually considered having depression but my attitude towards everything else in life and the way I feel when I'm away from uni makes me think I don't actually have depression.

If something makes you feel bad, the obvious thing you think is not to do it. And I have considered dropping out however I currently don't have an alternative option lined up and waiting.

The sensible side of me says to finish this degree. I've made a financial commitment, a degree is a great thing to have and I'm nearly halfway through anyway.

The other half of me thinks how is it considered sensible, when I'm young, healthy, and don't have many responsibilities, to spend my time wishing years of my life away? Sure it's only a couple more years. But I don't want to wake up every day wishing it was over and I could move on with the next chapter in my life. Life's too short.

I feel stuck between the side of me that's 'sensible' and does the safe thing and the side of me that says I don't have to settle and I should be enjoying myself.

So to anyone that has any experience with dropping out of uni, how did you know it was the right thing?
    Just tagging in Sheffield Hallam University and

(Original post by University Centre Hastings)
    x
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)

Hi,

Sorry to hear things are a bit tough for you at the moment. It's never great when we're in a situation that is making us feel down, and I'm glad to hear the rest of your life feels positive.

I've definitely felt the way you have at points when I have been studying, and I reckon most people have. It isn't always easy. Sometimes it's worth it to carry on, and sometimes it isn't. I have carried on with courses, but also dropped out of some, so I can see both sides.

One thing I would say is that you might be able to opt for getting a lower qualification than a degree. For example, you could see if you could use your credits so far to get an HNC or HND. That way, you would leave with something and won't feel like you've wasted money. Perhaps it's worth asking someone where you study if that would be possible?

If you could have any job right now, what would it be ... ?

Jordan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Centre Hastings)
    Hi,

Sorry to hear things are a bit tough for you at the moment. It's never great when we're in a situation that is making us feel down, and I'm glad to hear the rest of your life feels positive.

I've definitely felt the way you have at points when I have been studying, and I reckon most people have. It isn't always easy. Sometimes it's worth it to carry on, and sometimes it isn't. I have carried on with courses, but also dropped out of some, so I can see both sides.

One thing I would say is that you might be able to opt for getting a lower qualification than a degree. For example, you could see if you could use your credits so far to get an HNC or HND. That way, you would leave with something and won't feel like you've wasted money. Perhaps it's worth asking someone where you study if that would be possible?

If you could have any job right now, what would it be ... ?

Jordan
    Thanks for your reply

Speaking to other people it seems like it's very common to struggle with motivation at uni- I'm just having trouble deciding if it's just a rough patch or if my lack of motivation or being inspired by my course is a sign that I'm not doing the right thing for me.

If I could have any job I'd love to be an artist/illustrator or park ranger. I have actually applied for a placement at a wildlife reserve so I could potentially take a year out of uni and do some practical work there. I think getting out of a classroom/academic environment could be good for me as I'm a very practical, hands on person rather than an academic or theoretical one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.