Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year and after getting 3 interviews, I failed to get an offer. I've applied to 2 of the same universities and all are MMI apart from Southampton which is both panel and group discussion.

Last year I did a considerable amount of prep, I read the isc interview book twice, went on 2 interview courses(an MMI circuit and 6med, which also had a practice panel/mmi interview) and numerous mock interviews with my head of year and head of science. I practiced countless questions and made notes on each university yet after all this, I still did not get any offers.

What else can I do to improve my chances of getting an offer?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask for any feedback from your universities?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 interviews last year and I got 4 offers. And I'm a current first year medical student at Barts. Offering 1-1 tuition via Skype and in person. Pm me for more info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Did you ask for any feedback from your universities?
    Yep, Southampton didn't give any individual feedback, BSMS gave station scores but without the corresponding stations, so they were pretty useless. King's gave me the interview feedback sheet with scores for each station and interviewer comments. It was mostly mixed from king's. Like one station I would have a high communication score and on another I would score low. Not really sure what to make out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    I got 4 interviews last year and I got 4 offers. And I'm a current first year medical student at Barts. Offering 1-1 tuition via Skype and in person. Pm me for more info
    Ayy I know you already g, we were in the medicine gc last year together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamedxAli)
    Yep, Southampton didn't give any individual feedback, BSMS gave station scores but without the corresponding stations, so they were pretty useless. King's gave me the interview feedback sheet with scores for each station and interviewer comments. It was mostly mixed from king's. Like one station I would have a high communication score and on another I would score low. Not really sure what to make out of it
    That's a shame about Southampton. As for BSMS, did they just give scores or like Communication: [Blank] Teamwork: [Blank] and didn't explicitly say which stations? With King's I guess maybe its how you answered/explained stuff at the station? One could have been looking more at empathy, another more of layman terms etc? But given communication is subjective.

For the last point I guess you could try doing practice in different scenarios? Like do an explain this scientific concept, both in basic and scientific forms, so that gives you coverage (and allows you to reflect). Or a 'role-play' where you could be telling patient a result of their test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    That's a shame about Southampton. As for BSMS, did they just give scores or like Communication: [Blank] Teamwork: [Blank] and didn't explicitly say which stations? With King's I guess maybe its how you answered/explained stuff at the station? One could have been looking more at empathy, another more of layman terms etc? But given communication is subjective.

For the last point I guess you could try doing practice in different scenarios? Like do an explain this scientific concept, both in basic and scientific forms, so that gives you coverage (and allows you to reflect). Or a 'role-play' where you could be telling patient a result of their test?
    BSMS just gave the scores all together without anything. I feel with king's the interviewer mattered a lot. Like some were not bothered at all which kind of threw me off.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try answering different scenario's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamedxAli)
    BSMS just gave the scores all together without anything. I feel with king's the interviewer mattered a lot. Like some were not bothered at all which kind of threw me off.
    Ah well for BSMS.

But you mentioned the King's thing. I suspect a lot of interviewers do that, cause I had one at one of my MMIs at the station that targeted communication. They want to throw you off, and see how you cope. Unfortunately, I have no solution for that as I didn't do terribly well in that station

But anyway, good luck! Hopefully some others will jump in with advice too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.