Turn on thread page Beta

Is A level difficulty exaggerated? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do people exaggerate the difficulty of A levels?
    It puts me off occasionally, but then I carry on.
    I am an extremely dedicated student and I get let down when I don't get the grades I want even though I put the time in. What am I doing wrong? Are D's and E's bad signs for your final grade?
    I am doing Chemistry, Maths and Physics and I want A*A*A*. I do my homework but I get really upset when I don't get it even after revising and teachers explaining. why does this happen?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DYoverDX)
    Do people exaggerate the difficulty of A levels?
    It puts me off occasionally, but then I carry on.
    I am an extremely dedicated student and I get let down when I don't get the grades I want even though I put the time in. What am I doing wrong? Are D's and E's bad signs for your final grade?
    I am doing Chemistry, Maths and Physics and I want A*A*A*. I do my homework but I get really upset when I don't get it even after revising and teachers explaining. why does this happen?
    If you get some ads and Es, no biggie, I got one or two in mocks where I knew nothing and the most important thing was to learn from it - to go over the answers then redo the paper!

If you don't understand a topic, go back to the start of the chapter and read through the notes. If it exists, you may benefit from looking up gcse notes on that subject. If you're still stuck, challenge yourself by asking yourself why you are stuck, and what specifically you don't understand. Then google or ask your teacher those specific questions.

Then keep doing this, and practice the questions provided in the textbook. Then do the exam style questions from the mocks.

Also, if you are ever getting help from a teacher, never nod and say that you understand when you don't.
    What you should do is: identify exactly what question you have. Never say 'I'm stuck with all of it', you need to make a start and identify what you do and don't understand. If there's an example you can use and get them to explain it then great. If you aren't getting anywhere then be honest and say you'll go away, study it and then get back to them with any questions. To get the most out of help, ask specific questions!

All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    If you get some ads and Es, no biggie, I got one or two in mocks where I knew nothing and the most important thing was to learn from it - to go over the answers then redo the paper!

If you don't understand a topic, go back to the start of the chapter and read through the notes. If it exists, you may benefit from looking up gcse notes on that subject. If you're still stuck, challenge yourself by asking yourself why you are stuck, and what specifically you don't understand. Then google or ask your teacher those specific questions.

Then keep doing this, and practice the questions provided in the textbook. Then do the exam style questions from the mocks.

Also, if you are ever getting help from a teacher, never nod and say that you understand when you don't.
    What you should do is: identify exactly what question you have. Never say 'I'm stuck with all of it', you need to make a start and identify what you do and don't understand. If there's an example you can use and get them to explain it then great. If you aren't getting anywhere then be honest and say you'll go away, study it and then get back to them with any questions. To get the most out of help, ask specific questions!

All the best
    Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to work hard for AS as this will be your foundation. A2 maths can be difficult depending on modules however theres always a correct answer in maths and its all about how you approach the questions and what methods you use, lots of practice will help with this you should try physic and maths tutor (type it in google) you can find past paper questions organised by topic which can be so helpful
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.