The Student Room Group

Official Medicine Interviews Thread 2018

Hi guys, we are launching this thread so that you can ask questions about your Medicine Interview.

We have a few free resources coming soon so stay tuned :smile:

Introduce yourself by telling everyone what universities you are applying for and whether or not you have received any offers yet!
Just posted a thread about medicine interviews, but long story short I didn't get any offers last year despite getting 3 interviews. I've applied to Southampton, BSMS, Newcastle and Nottingham. Any advice?

This is the other thread I made:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5049466&p=74578316#post74578316
Reply 2
Original post by HamedxAli
Just posted a thread about medicine interviews, but long story short I didn't get any offers last year despite getting 3 interviews. I've applied to Southampton, BSMS, Newcastle and Nottingham. Any advice?

This is the other thread I made:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5049466&p=74578316#post74578316

Hey there,

What sorts of things do you find difficult?

Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey there,

What sorts of things do you find difficult?

Medic Mind

Not sure, feedback from the uni's didn't help either
Reply 5
Original post by HamedxAli
Not sure, feedback from the uni's didn't help either

I'm sorry to hear that but there are lots of ways in which we can assist you.

Visit our website and I'm sure we will have something that will help you along the way.

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/interview.html

:smile:

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 15.56.54.png
Reply 6
Hi guys, we are launching this thread so that you can ask questions about your Medicine Interview.

Introduce yourself by telling everyone what universities you are applying for and whether or not you have received any offers yet!

Do you have any recommended books to read? How do you recommend staying up to date with latest medicine news? What is each station in the mmi usually about?
Reply 7
Original post by Actuvia
Do you have any recommended books to read? How do you recommend staying up to date with latest medicine news? What is each station in the mmi usually about?

When it comes to discussing Medical Developments:

Have a few case studies learnt - you need to talk about medicine in the news, so you should be able to speak for around 30 seconds on an articles

Use BBC Health and BMJ - on the BBC website, the health page has short, simple-languages articles on healthcare.

Use technological or research articles - rather than NHS developments, it is easier to talk about a new technology. Genetics is very good!

Kunal - Medic Mind
Voted UK's Best Medical Start Up 2017 🏆
www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
Reply 8
Original post by Actuvia

I recommend 'How Doctors Think' which is a great book about the psychology of healthcare.

When it comes to books, my top tips are:

Read books - you should read at least one medically related book. Make sure you have read it - they can catch you out in interview.

Know hot to discuss the book - even though you have read the book, look at some online summaries to re-cap before the interview.

Explain subsequent follow up - if you enjoyed a book, show how you linked on from it - e.g. by doing your own research, giving a talk, setting up a school debate.

e.g. “After reading about the psychological factors affecting diagnosis, I was inspired to learn further so led my own talk and debate at my school on the topic”

Kunal - Medic Mind
Reply 9

@MedicMind
Thanks for all your advice, it's been really useful!
How would you say to best prepare for a panel interview?
Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by sbk99
@MedicMind
Thanks for all your advice, it's been really useful!
How would you say to best prepare for a panel interview?
Thanks!! :smile:

No worries, glad to help. Here are two big tips!

Body Language

A tip from us - be aware of your body language

- Don’t feel the need to shake hands, but do if appropriate
- Try not to fidget - can portray nervousness
- Sit up straight, with good posture
- Always make eye contact with everyone in the room, not just the one speaking to you.
- Try and smile! 😊

Preparing Answers

One tip from us is don’t over practice

- It is not a memory test
- They will be able to spot if you are reciting something
- Could work against your favour
- You should relax and be yourself

BUT prepare model answers using bullet points. So don't memorise huge chunks of text but prepare bullet points!

Our interview course is just £30 and has over 100 tutorials to guide you through it all! www.medicmind.co.uk/interview-online-course

Kunal - Medic Mind
Just to let everyone know we have just launched our:

FREE Youtube Tutorials for the Medical Interview.

www.youtube.com/medicmind

:smile:
Original post by sbk99
@MedicMind Thanks, will definitely remember this on the day!
I've got another question if you don't mind

When you have a question like 'what are the attributes of a good team leader?' would you suggest perhaps just focussing on 2/3 qualities and describing them in detail, or mentioning more?

Hey! Keep the questions coming! :smile:

Focus on just a few qualities and expand upon them using examples from your work experience! It's much better to have quality explanations, than a list of unexplained points!

Here are some tips:
Approachable - a point of support for your team members (not too bossy)

Listen well - easy to work with, and take on board other team members' ideas

Decisive - be able to make the final decision fairly based on the team's opinion

Work hard - lead by example

Motivator - you need to have enthusiasm and motivation skills

Dhaval - Medic Mind Tutor
Reply 13
If I get no offers but go through clearing and then get called for interview (long shot I know!) when do those interviews take place?
Original post by Fablad
If I get no offers but go through clearing and then get called for interview (long shot I know!) when do those interviews take place?

I think they're telephone interviews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending