Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going separate ways...(un)willingly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So first post. My guy and me have been together for around 3.5 years now, and we have some serious feelings for each other. To avoid details, it's mushy to the fullest extent.

Yet we're agreeing on separating so we learn to grow as individuals, experience independence, experience uni, and meet new people. Yet again, we are both pretty...sad, about the whole thing. We do believe the whole 'if its meant to be' yada yada, but we don't really know how to go about it.

We still want to keep in close contact as we are genuinely interested in each others lives, since we have come so far together. And we'll back off when one of us gets into a relationship etc.

We have a plan, but we're just not 'happy' about it, so I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Or advice lmao I'm pretty stuck.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yadanishgirl)
    Hey all,

So first post. My guy and me have been together for around 3.5 years now, and we have some serious feelings for each other. To avoid details, it's mushy to the fullest extent.

Yet we're agreeing on separating so we learn to grow as individuals, experience independence, experience uni, and meet new people. Yet again, we are both pretty...sad, about the whole thing. We do believe the whole 'if its meant to be' yada yada, but we don't really know how to go about it.

We still want to keep in close contact as we are genuinely interested in each others lives, since we have come so far together. And we'll back off when one of us gets into a relationship etc.

We have a plan, but we're just not 'happy' about it, so I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Or advice lmao I'm pretty stuck.
    Maybe you could just go on a "break" though it sounds like the relationship is over if you're already planning what would happen if either of you gets into another relationship.

There must be a reason as to why you want to separate. Is it because you don't feel the same as when you first got with him? Sounds like you've already made up your decision anyway. Keep in mind that either of you may feel jealous if a new relationship starts. If that happens you'll probably have to cut contact because it's going to hurt.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.