Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is medicine even plausible for me ( be honest/harsh if necessary) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't very motivated at GCSE I didn't know what i wanted to do, so i never really tried hard. But then I realised that I wanted to do medicine around the time I finished my exams. I ended up achieving 3 A*'s, 8,6,6 ,An A and a B
    ( A*'s in Bio,Chem,phys and an 8 in Maths. two 6's in English ,b in computing and A in German..
    I know these aren't very good for medicine, but I was very unmotivated. Is there any chance that i can still do medicine if I get amazing A-levels+ a good ukcat?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yep, there's people doing worse than you aiming for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    I wasn't very motivated at GCSE I didn't know what i wanted to do, so i never really tried hard. But then I realised that I wanted to do medicine around the time I finished my exams. I ended up achieving 3 A*'s, 8,6,6 ,An A and a B
    ( A*'s in Bio,Chem,phys and an 8 in Maths. two 6's in English ,b in computing and A in German..
    I know these aren't very good for medicine, but I was very unmotivated. Is there any chance that i can still do medicine if I get amazing A-levels+ a good ukcat?
    Those grades are great!

You can definitely do medicine... just don't apply to GCSE heavy unis like bham, oxbridge etc...

just focus on doing good in a level and UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Yep, there's people doing worse than you aiming for medicine.
    Thanks! I have got work experience in medicine and plan to get a volunteering placement, but I don't want to waste my time applying for medicine if i have no chance because I don't have 2000000 A*'s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I have got work experience in medicine and plan to get a volunteering placement, but I don't want to waste my time applying for medicine if i have no chance because I don't have 2000000 A*'s at GCSE.
    2 million A* ?

doctors are smart but they're not robots lol

ReputationRep:
    If you push it hard at A Level, you have chances. Make sure you have a strong personal statement and 2+ weeks work experience.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be on track, secure the placements and get the grades
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you do really well in the UKCAT (and BMAT) and get good A-level predictions, you're fine. Your GCSEs exceed the minimum requirements of all schools, and a lot of schools only look to see whether or not you meet their minimum academic requirements and then just rank everyone based off the UKCAT (Newcastle, Southampton, Sheffield, Plymouth I think and a few others that I can't remember lol) or BMAT (Imperial and BSMS I think). Bart's only look at UCAS tariff and UKCAT, while St. George's interviews anyone who meets their GCSE cut-off (8 As) and UKCAT cut-off which was 650 this year. Make sure you don't apply to GCSE heavy schools (Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh) and you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm not too familiar with the new GCSE grading system but overall your grades sound great (aside from perhaps the 6 in English, which is still okay) and you say you didn't try that hard which shows you are capable of more.
    If you get amazing A-Levels and UKCAT then yes you still have a lot of chance of getting into Medicine.
    My GCSEs weren't amazing, neither were my A-Levels but I good a really good UKCAT. I'm doing an undergraduate degree in Biomedicine and I'm in my third year, I've applied for Graduate Entry Medicine which is another route you can look at.
    One thing that's very very important is having a clear motivation or reason to study Medicine, as long as the person reading your application can see you're very dedicated then you'll be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, mariejuana. I wouldn’t worry too much about your GCSE results, honestly. Universities will focus far more on your A Levels. That being said, as medicine is your preferred career, they will certainly look into your GCSE's, if only to check for consistency. As a rule of thumb, the tendency is if you have good English and maths GCSE scores then you're set as far as GCSE's go. The lowest grade you have appears to be a B (unless a 6 is lower? We didn’t have the numerical system when I was doing GCSE's, but you'll know), so as long as you work hard to get A's and A*'s in your A Levels (and a good UKCAT score, of course!), then you should still have a good shot!Obviously though, it will depend on the university or medical school you apply to! If I were you, I'd spend about an hour looking at your preferred universities' medical courses to see if they specify anything different.Good luck in your upcoming studies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.