Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a physics interview tomorrow and I'm struggling to know how to answer the "why do I want to study physics" question. I know that it's the right course for me but explaining it is hard. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    I have a physics interview tomorrow and I'm struggling to know how to answer the "why do I want to study physics" question. I know that it's the right course for me but explaining it is hard. Any help?
    hey there! congrats on your interview invitation!

i had my interview for physics yesterday, and there was actually 0 personal statement discussion! (i'm not sure whether it was the same for other physics applicants? idk. i thought it was pretty strange.)

but basically - i wouldn't worry too much! i totally get where you're coming from, i was also not too sure about how to actually articulate "why physics", i guess it's harder when you're talking in person?

i guess i'd have said something generic about enjoying maths / wanting to have a career in research. but my interviewer didn't actually ask why physics / why imperial / anything about my personal statement at all, for some reason, i just did 1 maths question - so i wouldn't be too worried about thinking of a response! (it might be different for each applicant though, do let me know how you get on i'm curious to know how other physics applicants found it)

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levi ackerman)
    hey there! congrats on your interview invitation!

i had my interview for physics yesterday, and there was actually 0 personal statement discussion! (i'm not sure whether it was the same for other physics applicants? idk. i thought it was pretty strange.)

but basically - i wouldn't worry too much! i totally get where you're coming from, i was also not too sure about how to actually articulate "why physics", i guess it's harder when you're talking in person?

i guess i'd have said something generic about enjoying maths / wanting to have a career in research. but my interviewer didn't actually ask why physics / why imperial / anything about my personal statement at all, for some reason, i just did 1 maths question - so i wouldn't be too worried about thinking of a response! (it might be different for each applicant though, do let me know how you get on i'm curious to know how other physics applicants found it)

good luck!!
    I spoke to someone else and they said that they spoke about music and what interested them in physics. Are you saying that they went straight into academic questions without any ice breakers or openers?
    It seems like for some interviews they just do academic but for others they do generic and academic. I really hope that mine is just academic but I have to be prepared just in case.
    Who was your interviewer?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to someone else and they said that they spoke about music and what interested them in physics. Are you saying that they went straight into academic questions without any ice breakers or openers?
    It seems like for some interviews they just do academic but for others they do generic and academic. I really hope that mine is just academic but I have to be prepared just in case.
    Who was your interviewer?
    hmm that's strange. yeah it was 100% academic, as in i sat down and started the question, no ice breakers / openers. weird.

yeah it's probably best to be prepared either way i suppose, for peace of mind if anything. maybe talk a bit about career motivation? that's how i'd have gone about it.

sorry, i don't actually remember my interviewer's name

but best of luck either way!

ReputationRep:
    hmm that's strange. yeah it was 100% academic, as in i sat down and started the question, no ice breakers / openers. weird.

yeah it's probably best to be prepared either way i suppose, for peace of mind if anything. maybe talk a bit about career motivation? that's how i'd have gone about it.

sorry, i don't actually remember my interviewer's name

but best of luck either way!
    Ah well you're lucky then and yeah I guess that's a decent idea. I've made some notes on things I could say too.

Do you remember what they looked like? E. G. Skin colour, hair colour, gender etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well you're lucky then and yeah I guess that's a decent idea. I've made some notes on things I could say too.

Do you remember what they looked like? E. G. Skin colour, hair colour, gender etc.
    really, i'd have said i was unlucky idk i guess i'm a bit better at talking about my interest in things / work experience as opposed to the academic side haha

uhh yeah he was white american if that helps lol but i wouldn't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    really, i'd have said i was unlucky idk i guess i'm a bit better at talking about my interest in things / work experience as opposed to the academic side haha

uhh yeah he was white american if that helps lol but i wouldn't worry too much
    Ah well the grass is always greener on the other side.
    It's probably not that important but I was just curious to know. Thanks anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.