The Student Room Group

What should i be?

Alright so basically, i'm really confused on what i should be in the future, at first i was just like 'I'll go somewhere into medicine' but i can't, it's not because it's difficult, it's because i have no passion or find any enjoyment in science, i'm not gonna get an A in maths either.

That's why i'm just wondering what should i be, here are some of my favourite subjects and the ones i'm good at:

- English Language
- History
- Religion
- Urdu
- Psychology

i'm gonna be studying at A levels so can any 3 of these subjects combined take me into a good career with a high salary? I don't want it to be too tiring (so like, i don't wanna be called unexpectedly or work like idk 8am till 11pm etc)

it doesn't have to be all 3 of these subjects combined, it can be 2 of these and some other one- even 1 science or maths or any other one but i don't want all 3 of my A levels to be based solely around science and maths.

i'm really confused and don't know what to do anymore so any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend taking at least one of History or English Language because they are seen by the Russell group as 'facilitating subjects' that will help you get to university.

Personally, I am applying for Philosophy at university and then I'm looking at going into the civil service fast stream, which would be a 9-5 office job (I think) with four years training earning a good amount of money, followed by a guaranteed job in the civil service. I would recommend that you give it a google if you're interested :smile:

Hope something here was helpful!!
The only one of those that really carries directly into a fairly mainstream job is Psychology. It's probably a good time for it too as the government is under all sorts of pressure to revamp mental health care. The training takes a LONG time though, so you need to absolutely know that you have the motivation for it. Aside from that, you could do Urdu (and maybe another language if you know any) and do something translator-y. Teaching English in another country is a fairly popular choice for language students.

For the rest of the subjects, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking them, but they don't have the same kind of progression into a career - especially not at university level. You might still end up in a high paid job, but it won't be related to the subjects you chose.
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
I would recommend taking at least one of History or English Language because they are seen by the Russell group as 'facilitating subjects' that will help you get to university.

Personally, I am applying for Philosophy at university and then I'm looking at going into the civil service fast stream, which would be a 9-5 office job (I think) with four years training earning a good amount of money, followed by a guaranteed job in the civil service. I would recommend that you give it a google if you're interested :smile:

Hope something here was helpful!!

Thanks, i'll look into it :smile:
Original post by DaftVader
The only one of those that really carries directly into a fairly mainstream job is Psychology. It's probably a good time for it too as the government is under all sorts of pressure to revamp mental health care. The training takes a LONG time though, so you need to absolutely know that you have the motivation for it. Aside from that, you could do Urdu (and maybe another language if you know any) and do something translator-y. Teaching English in another country is a fairly popular choice for language students.

For the rest of the subjects, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking them, but they don't have the same kind of progression into a career - especially not at university level. You might still end up in a high paid job, but it won't be related to the subjects you chose.

I see, well thanks anyway! :smile:
Original post by Stress queen
Alright so basically, i'm really confused on what i should be in the future, at first i was just like 'I'll go somewhere into medicine' but i can't, it's not because it's difficult, it's because i have no passion or find any enjoyment in science, i'm not gonna get an A in maths either.

That's why i'm just wondering what should i be, here are some of my favourite subjects and the ones i'm good at:

- English Language
- History
- Religion
- Urdu
- Psychology

i'm gonna be studying at A levels so can any 3 of these subjects combined take me into a good career with a high salary? I don't want it to be too tiring (so like, i don't wanna be called unexpectedly or work like idk 8am till 11pm etc)

it doesn't have to be all 3 of these subjects combined, it can be 2 of these and some other one- even 1 science or maths or any other one but i don't want all 3 of my A levels to be based solely around science and maths.

i'm really confused and don't know what to do anymore so any help would be appreciated.

Hey there,

My recommendation would be to get a paper and pen, write down the things you're most passionate about (doesn't have to be subjects schools/education system offers you) and write them down. Think of the kinds of things you'd love to spend all day every day on, that's the kind of thing you're looking for. Next, think of how you could make a life from that. Would it lie in employment? Or would be a business? Do some research, find some examples of people who are doing the kind of thing you want to do, then find out how they did it. The next thing you need to do is understand yourself completely, what do you want to have in your life? What do you not? Start painting the picture of what will be your vision for your life. When you have that, you've got the beginning, that first step. let me know when you've done that. I'll post the next step.

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest