Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering taking english literature, media and geography and maybe biology but I'm terrified of the workload and I'm just about managing now, so instead I would take an extended project, Just wondering if doing it is worth it and if unis or jobs look at it and find it impressive or is it just one that's seen as a doss??

ReputationRep:
    Honestly my EPQ hasn't really made much of a difference. I'm in my first year of uni now and my EPQ took a lot of work and stress. It was a good talking point in uni interviews and my personal statement but my grade didn't matter and I only got a C.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It was worth doing for me though because it meant an extra hour and a half sat next to my now-boyfriend each week 😉

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it depends on the university and if you think you can handle the work load - Some uni's entrance requirements are graded (for example you may need a BBB) and so the EPQ wouldn't contribute to much.

If the entrance requirements are based on UCAS points ( for example 120 UCAS points needed) then I would recommend doing it because it contributes - so if you don't do as well in your A Level exams you have the points received from the EPQ to fall back on.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did an EPQ alongside 4 A Levels last year and thought the work load was actually OK. The actual essay wasn't that time consuming for me, rather it was the production log which you must also complete in order to do well in the qualification. I think it can make a difference depending on where you apply; I have a biochem offer from Newcastle and they dropped two grades from AAA to ABB because of my EPQ.
    I think one of the most difficult things is actually formulating a topic that you would find interesting enough to research and write 5000 words on, but if you're passionate about a certian idea or what to study something quite specific at uni, it's a great option.
    Keep in mind that you can always drop the EPQ- many of my friends did this as they couldn't come up with a title.
    Obviously A Levels are by no means an easy feat anyway and if you're worried about the workload you may wish to hold off on the EPQ; I know a number of universities I've applied for will not drop their grades as a result of it.
    But best of luck with the future, if you do decide to do an EPQ and have any questions on where to research, how to fill out the logs etc just pm me!!

ReputationRep:
    EPQ can be a good boost to your application, especially if you have shortcomings in grades. It can definitely be worth it

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.