Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So it's the start of my A levels! and I've completed my AS level exams and my gcse's! Now ready to fight my way to university ~

GCSE Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

English: A
    Maths: B
    Science core: C
    Science additional: B
    Dance: C
    Photography: B
    ECDL: A*
    Product design: C
    ICT: B
    Health and social care: A*
    OCR business processing: Pass

Looking back, I really wish I had put effort into my gcses. I'm so disappointed in myself

As results;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Health and social care: Merit for my exam, and a predicted A for my coursework (resist exam in January 2018, with a second exam and a second piece of coursework to add for overall mark.) Predicted: Distinction* (A*)
    Sociology: C
    Psychology: C **but my teacher thinks my second paper was marked wrong, as I got an A on paper one and a U on paper two**

A level grade predictions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Health and social care: A*
    Psychology: A
    Sociology: B

After A levels; once my exams end I want to attend university to take psychology, in the end I hope to become a clinical psychologist.

Health and social care works by taking an exam and completing a piece of coursework in the first year, you can retake this exam January 2018 if you want. The second year is another exam, which you take in January and resit in July if you need to, plus another piece of coursework I'm aiming for a A*, just like at highschool!

Non academic goals!
    Improve my mental and physical health.
    More confidence in my own abilities! Everyone always says Im so smart, that I'm the textbook of psychology - I just don't feel it

**I will update at LEAST once a week! maybe more some weeks**

ReputationRep:
    The first post!|

Revision materials;
    I have been looking at different ways to revise, as I've become to realise I need different techniques for each subject as one way that I use for psychology doesn't help me whatsoever in health and social care.

So here is what I have been using so far this year!

Psychology; Quizlet and Kahoot!
    • Flashcards are a must!
    • After each lesson I produce the information in a similar, easy to read format so I can skim it and get all the information I need.
    • I've printed loads of past questions! (but I haven't started them yet!)
    • Health and social care - sounds strange, but the second years coursework is based of psychology! So it is working out really well just to go over topics I haven't looked at in a while.
    • Revision sessions - my teacher has already started revision sessions, going over research methods!

Sociology;I use quizlet here too.
    • Flashcards! These are in all my subjects.
    • Once again I have loads of past questions to start attempting! But I have been doing loads for homework
    • Revision sessions: we are starting with year ones topic of the family and households.

Health and social care; I created my own quizlets for this - but the information doesn't stick using this method!
    • Flashcards..
    • Word bank
    • Mind dump
    • I use this technique that I don't remember the name of! For example, the term growth; I drew a ruler and weights, so I can picture the images and remember the definitions.
    • Specimen papers!

However...I'd still love to find new ways! I love making notes, the whole idea of coordinating colours to a particular topic <3 I love creating games, especially on Quizlet and using the whiteboards at college.

My first exam; 10th January and 12th January 2018 for health and social care (resit exam and the second years one)

https://quizlet.com/Bethg5 ~

ReputationRep:
    So this is finally my desk! I finally ended up tidying it from the as level exams! Whenever we have an exam it becomes so disorganised but now I love it.
    So I have;
    • Loads and loads of pens!
    • My colourful pens!<3
    • Highlighters
    • Notebook of key terms (I have one for all my subjects)
    • Post-it notes
    • Hole puncher
    • Tape
    • Scissors
    • Three folders full of revision
    • A candle I love my little candle
    • And my laptop, which doesn't help me revise whatsoever!
    • Plus, what you can't see, my coffee mug|!

Today was a good day! I was able to have a lie in this morning then I had a two hour study session, dinner then an hour of psychology (A level - AQA), we're looking at the final part of biopsychology.
    My study session was actually productive! I produced my own research methods booklet! in more condensed notes so I can skim over it but still have what I need. I then went over everything we did in out last psychology lesson (yesterday) and attempted two exam style questions.
    I can't actually believe how productive I am being...I am never like this! I actually think it was because people weren't there to distract me today...
    In psychology we watched a video of 'Kim Peek - The Real Rain Main' for the split brain research of biopsyc and this amazing man really inspired me today and got me emotional\!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Okay,
    I haven't wrote anything in a while, but I am back!
    Since the last post to now, everything has been so...."crap", but I need to get myself focused again.
    Today is the start of the Christmas break, so this is how everything has been going;

Psychology: I love psychology! and I actually enjoy the revision. I have brought myself an exercise book, I've started with social influence (paper 1 - AQA) and this is how I've set it out;

• Notes.
    • Mindmap - linking ideas.
    • Visual Rep
    • Attempt at least two exam questions.
    • Quizlets (I use my own, my teachers and a classmates)

As once I go back in January I've got mocks!

Sociology; Right. Okay. I do not understand what is going on anymore! We have one teacher who teaches the crime and deviance side, who is an amazing teacher. We have a different teacher who teaches us the religious beliefs side, the whole class have been complaining about her since the start of the year - but nothing has changed. So we have a lot of work to catch up with now, as I showed the 'good' teacher the work we've done so far and the 'bad' one has skipped a lot of important content that we should know. The last lesson we had the 'bad' one said the whole class is rude, we don't understand because we talk all the time - I must admit, I am so quiet, I sit on my own at the front of the class and I understood nothing - I think I could have cried with how stressed I felt. So I decided to read my text book instead and I understood the content reading from the book! but everytime she spoke I just lost it again.
    - If anyone has any notes for religious beliefs in sociology (aqa) please help a girl out!

Health and social care level 3: So the real exams are in January! I get to resist the exam, I had a merit (B) last time, so I'm hoping for a distinction (A) this time and a distinction on the second exam! As I really want to come out with a distinction* (A*) overall!
    -Does anyone else take health and social care (worth just one A level)? and is doing the psychology perspectives as part of their coursework?

University offers: So far...
    1. Staffordshire University - Psychology = Conditional offer.

I was given an offer within five days of sending my application. The condition is BBB, and I am predicted A*AB...however, I don't really have any confidence in myself so I'm not sure that I'll get in...Everytime I do my revision I think "Oh wow, I remember this - this is so easy", but in reality I'll get into the exam and forget everything!

Exams coming up: health and social
    1. 10th January - Resist for unit 1 (although I did get a merit)
    2. 12th January - Able to sit the second paper (I can resist if I need to later on)
    3. Mocks! starting 22nd January - Psychology and sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minivampire)
    Health and social care level 3: So the real exams are in January! I get to resist the exam, I had a merit (B) last time, so I'm hoping for a distinction (A) this time and a distinction on the second exam! As I really want to come out with a distinction* (A*) overall!
    -Does anyone else take health and social care (worth just one A level)? and is doing the psychology perspectives as part of their coursework?
    Hi just so you know, a Merit in BTEC Level 3 is worth a C not a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Hi just so you know, a Merit in BTEC Level 3 is worth a C not a B
    Oh...whats a B called then? Because I definitely got a B.
    I thought it was the same as level 2

ReputationRep:
    Last day of college; Tuesday 19th Dec.
    Back to college; 3rd Jan.

So when I go back I've got two exams to revise for and two mocks. In all honesty, my revision will be focused more so on my real exams, I need to ace these!

However, as I said in the last post about the 'bad' teacher who is confusing me so much and stressing me out...I've got to play catch up. We've wasted months of work. With months of complaining the head teacher is going to 'have a word' next year. I do fear how she will react, as she knows the class don't understand and her attitude towards us isn't very 'nice' to put it lightly. But now I've received a text book and some excellent revision notes I've got no excuse
    - I can't believe I understand it, doing it myself and it is so easy! Now I just need that teacher to shut up...every time she speaks I go back to not understanding a thing

The plan for this Christmas holiday; have a well deserved great - my mental health has been..I just don't know how to describe it + catch up in sociology as much as I can, and revise for my exams. Mocks can come last as far as I'm concerned

Ucas university offers;
    • Staffs - Psychology = Offer changed from conditional to make us your firm choice and we will make it unconditional. Staffs was gonna be my firm choice anyway!
    • Psychology with a foundation year = was my back up, if I didn't get the points, but considering they changed their mind. I needed 48 points for this course.
    • Psychology and child development = unconditional if made firm.

Name:  20171222_153218.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  526.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minivampire)
    Oh...whats a B called then? Because I definitely got a B.
    I thought it was the same as level 2
    No equivalent to a B or D grade at Level 3.
    Level 3 grades are as follows:
    D*=A*
    D=A
    M=C
    P=E

Level 2 is:
    D*=A*
    D=A
    M=B
    P=C

ReputationRep:

Christmas Eve! I hope every has a great day tomorrow ~

Today has been a very productive day! I've;
    • Produced a checklist for my coursework - psychological perspectives for health and social care.
    • Produced a revision document for the exam unit I'm going to resit (hoping for an A* this time!!!).
    • Continued with sociology revision (beliefs).

I still need to;
    • Continue with revision for my mocks; a level psychology and sociology (aqa)
    • Continue with my health and social care revision - the real exams in Jan!
    • Continue with sociology catch up...but I am dreading the return to college, going into the 'crap' teachers class and she is just going to confuse me even more...despite the work I've done, and I don't even have the choice to not go in.

ReputationRep:

Boxing day!:charm:

Name:  15143026774802135996069.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  511.6 KB

Okay, Merry (late) Christmas everyone! I hope you all had a great day and got everything you wished for
    I had a very productive Christmas, which I'm proud to say;
    • I produced a checklist and a powerpoint for my whole health and social care (pearson) level 3 class - for the coursework, we chose to do psychological perspectives in health and social care.
    • I went over my coursework, adding little bits here and there! I only have three sections to do in the final piece of learning aim C, then I'm complete! (I just need my teachers support on this...)
    • Then I ended up looking at the psychology course at Staffordshire University...for the millionth time. It is still my firm choice, I just can't wait to go and then do my masters.

Christmas day itself though...it wasn't fantastic. Arguing all day, everyone, all I wanted to do was go back home. I couldn't wait for the whole day so end and I've never felt so.."unchristmasy". I spent the day with my great grandmother, her ex-boyfriend and my auntie - such a fun day.

Today;
    • Focus on health and social care revision as the exam is coming up! I am so not ready for it...

What I did: Loads and loads of notes (yes I know doing this + reading isn't the best way, but for me it works really well as a starting point - then summarising with mindmaps, visual imagery and exam practice)
    I'm really nervous for the health and social exam though! I've gone through the past paper for unit 1, alongside the two specimen papers and, for paper 2 there hasn't been a real exam on it yet so I've just been through two specimen papers for it. On all mocks I've had a distinction...but what's going to come up?

Non-academic goals: I need to add, lose weight - I need to find the motivation to do this, so I can feel good in myself.
    Attachment 713156713114
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Taking a small break today (it is about time...) with a coffee :coffee:

So I tidied up my desk...again. I've now got loads more candles... and I re-read my favourite book! 'The Language of Flowers'
    Plus I played with my two dogs, my border collie wouldn't go near my pomchi when we first had her and now they actually play together! I've gone home now though, so I'm going to miss them so much
    But I won't be resting too much! Because today will be concentrated more so on the psychology mock coming up! We are doing paper 1 (A level), and I've got social influence down! ~ so pleased with myself, I find this topic so easy.
    Focus was on attachment, my method of revision; Read the notes I already have, make a summary, mindmap it, make imagery, then attempt exam questions. I'll do a past paper in timed conditions, without notes, once I've done through memory, psychopathology and research methods.
    Although, later on I will probably move back onto health and social care; unit 2 as the exam is so close now....

First exam: 10th January - resist of unit 1 (although I did pass - I want to get an A this time!) Anyone else taking this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdNYmHmlzoI/ <----- My puppies! :bigsmile:

Attachment 713202713204

Name:  20171227_131653.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  496.9 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Today|

I haven't been as productive as I would have liked
    1. I created a powerpoint for me and my class to use, filled with support materials to complete the coursework ready for next year.
    2. I created a checklist for the coursework too, again something me and my class can use.

But I am hoping to get onto psychology revision, since we have mocks in January (we are doing paper 1)

ReputationRep:
    Today| :angelwings:

Today has been a little more productive than yesterday, which I am pleased to say
    1. I worked on my coursework for health and social care, for a little bit, but now there is literally nothing that I can add or even think to put. So I've got to wait until I go back (3rd January 2018)
    2. I went over social influence again - all the way through! As the mock is the week starting 22nd Jan 2018.

Plans for later (as I can't do any of this until I go back home):
    • I'd really like to attempt some exam style questions on social influence, as I feel really confident on it - but I need to test myself.
    • I'd love to then go over; memory, attachment and psychopathology + a bit of research methods - for paper 1.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY! Do some revision for unit 1 and unit 2 of health and social care, as the real exams are so close now!

**Updated; I know I said I couldn't do the rest of my coursework...well I had a long think about it and spoke to a health worker, I now understand 50% more of what I need to put to complete my coursework (This will be finished before the end of January - then I can support my class in finishing it for May) but I do need support for the rest of it - well I say this but whenever I say I can't do something, I go for help - then I end up telling the person the answer anyway**

However, my dogs have been distracting me all day!
    Name:  tumblr_nv5bvqyLLr1rmkyaao1_1280.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  141.7 KB
    Attachment 713868713870
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Today's plans| :coffee::cookie:
    1. Complete the rest of the health and social care coursework (which I know how to do). -- Check.
    2. Revision for health and social. First exam; 10th January. -- Check
    3. Revision for psychology (AQA - Paper 1). Mocks starting 22nd January. -- Check

Non academic goals;
    • I actually did an hour of dance, for my weightloss

ReputationRep:
    Today|| :desu:
    I'm really disappointed in myself today! up to now (which is 16:12) I haven't done a single piece of revision, I haven't even looked at my textbook.
    Non-academic side:I have been healthy eating and exercising today (+ water!!!!) Plus I did clean my flat and do some washing, so that is a plus...but back to college tomorrow! (except I don't have a lesson til 11:05 a.m.

For the rest of tonight:
    • I really fancy doing some more psychology revision - memory side!
    • However, I'm torn between doing revision for health and social (since the first real exam is 10th Jan!!!!)

Ucas:
    • I accepted staffordshire university as my firm offer! (this was going to be my firm offer regardless of what any other university would say), it is a conditional offer, although Staffs said if I set it as my firm offer they'd change it to unconditional in 14 days. So I'm really pleased with myself.

ReputationRep:
    Back to college (Wednesday 3rd Jan 2018) Happy new year everyone! :couchpotato:
    Happy news, this guy at college has finally left me alone! After months of telling him and the teachers...
    My two real exams are so close now! 10th January - resist, even though I did pass it first time and the 12th January. - Health and social.
    Then we have mocks, but they have been pushed back, starting 31st January.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday|

|Academic|
    Exam: 10th January (resist) and 12th January (first attempt) for health and social care.
    Mocks: Pushed back to the week starting 31st January, and we have to do two psychology papers and two sociology papers now instead of one for each...While, although I do see the benefits of exam practice, I'm a little annoyed about it. My idea is to focus on my real exams for now, and go to my mocks as soon as the exam on the 12th Jan is over, (I've already spoken to my teacher and she is okay with me doing this, as I don't want to be put in for the resist again, so I NEED to get an A on this paper!!!!!)
    Coursework: I have had a revelation! I know understand the last part of my coursework, so I can finish it before January ends!

|Today|
    • The majority of my focus will be on the health and social care level 3 exam!
    • I may go onto sociology - crime & deviance revision, as my only lesson tomorrow is sociology and it is the crime side.

|Non-academic goal|
    • My goal is lose weight and be healthy looks like it is working! People have been commenting that it looks like I've lost weight ~
    • I kinda feel good in myself at the moment... but at the same time my mental health sucks...and I just don't know even know anymore...

ReputationRep:
    Exam on the 10th January 2018 - health and social care level 3 Unit 1...

Last year; Principles of growth and development, nature-nurture, menopause, puberty, self esteem, self image, self concept, environmental factors, physical development for later adulthood and the theories came up! ---- I'm hoping this means these won't come up
    Need to get revising! then onto the exam on the 12th January Unit 2 exam! ~
    So i'm not going to post here until all exams in January are over so I can concentrate...
    I also have mocks the week starting 22nd (they changed the mock dates for the third time....)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Health and social care level 3 (pearson) unit 1 exam today:
    These came up;
    • Chomsky - Lad **10 marker**
    • Name the life stages e.g. infancy, childhood.
    • Fine and gross motor skills
    • Growth and development - definition.
    • Emotional and social development - bonding & theories, e.g. bandura, bowlby. **10 marker**
    • Activity and disengagement theory. **10 marker**
    • Genetics
    • Stages of play (name the stages and describe them)
    • Self-concept (in relation to going back to education)
    • Unpredictable life events (name 2)

So the exam wasn't that bad actually...the majority of my predictions came up! and I'm very confident on a lot of these; naming stages, growth and development principles, fine and gross, activity and disengagement theory, stages of play and unpredictable life events. Everything else is I do know it, but whether I put enough for full marks...

Last exam for this month: 12th January, health and social care unit 2....

~Will start updating properly once real exams and mocks are over...so February-ish...~

ReputationRep:
    12 January unit 2 Health and social care level 3 exam;

Out of both units, I enjoy unit 1 more and I feel WAY more confident on it! Unit 1 was my resist, so I'm hoping I will have gotten a distinction this time at least I think I'll be very lucky if I get at least a passing great for the unit 2 exam...
    These came up;
    • Professional bodies.
    • Empowerment.
    • Advocate
    • Polices - laws

I should have wrote this on the day...because I don't remember what else came up! but my predictions were spot on! I got the majority of it...I just feel like I could have been better, revised more! Instead of putting so much focus on my unit 1 exam At least there is a resist in May if I need it!

Whats next?
    Week of mocks!
    I need to go to a offer holder day at Staffordshire University for Psychology...but I have no one to go with and I'm really nervous...

**better updates in February**

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.