Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scratched my grandmothers old car Watch

ReputationRep:
    out

ReputationRep:
    I doubt your grandparents will be that angry, a bit miffed but its an accident that could happen to anyone. they might well appreciate the honesty.

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind your grandparents! You're driving without a license and without insurance which is a very serious crime. You better hope no one took your details otherwise you'll have police on your doorstep. Do not drive again without insurance and an adult present who fits the requirements under the Highway code. As for your grandparents just tell them and get it over with
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hzeldes)
    Not only are you uninsured, you're not even qualified to drive! I hope you get found out for this. You're the reason my insurance premium is so high

Spoiler:
    Show

You're not going to get any sympathy posting on here, realistically...

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :yy:

ReputationRep:
    No sympathy. You deserve everything you get.
    What a shame the person you bumped didn’t pursue it
    You are a dangerous liability and both you and your grandparents should be prosecuted.
    Stay off the road idiot

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I didn't come up here to get judged, i came to get some advice so you can go somewhere else with that mess. Secondly, yeah, I messed up, I took my parent's car and scratched it, i'm a teenager, it was stupid and I made a mistake. I'm admitting that, but don't act like an angel knowing you did something horrible as a teenager and felt bad about it. I'm not the only one that makes dumb decisions. I don't drink, smoke, nor text when im driving, but i'm sure you've probably done at least one of those in your lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    we are giving you advice. get a licence & insurance before your next outing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Soooo, not only did you seriously break the law on many occasions, you are also a coward for not fessing up to your grandparents and facing the music.

The only reason you were forced to acknowledge your guilt is because you damaged someone else's property. If that accident had not happened, admit it, you would still be using the car illegally. You are now selfishly trying to save your own skin.

You need to grow up, grow some balls, and start thinking of the impact your actions have on other peoples lives. Start by telling your grandparents and accepting the consequences of your actions - before you end up in prison with a criminal record having put someone in hospital or worse before long.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned folk that not only drive without insurance but aren't even qualified to drive should be shot. No sympathy, I really hope you get found out and suffer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm sensing American colloquialisms here - am I correct in saying you're not UK based?

ReputationRep:
    If you more consider what could have happened and the impact that could have on your whole life you might see why there there is a big difference re say smoking, in the main with that it is only yourself you are harming.

A long time ago someone I was at school with took his parents' car, went out with his cousin, and crashed, He broke his leg and got a few cuts etc, his cousin died. On his return to school everyone could see the impact on him, a very changed person, I suspect it carried with him for his whole life, not the sort of baggage I would wish to carry.

There is a good reason why to drive a car you need to be qualified, you have a ton of metal whose impact with a person is often lethal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    If you more consider what could have happened and the impact that could have on your whole life you might see why there there is a big difference re say smoking, in the main with that it is only yourself you are harming.

A long time ago someone I was at school with took his parents' car, went out with his cousin, and crashed, He broke his leg and got a few cuts etc, his cousin died. On his return to school everyone could see the impact on him, a very changed person, I suspect it carried with him for his whole life, not the sort of baggage I would wish to carry.

There is a good reason why to drive a car you need to be qualified, you have a ton of metal whose impact with a person is often lethal.
    Okay, you didn't say anything drinking and texting while driving in which that can impact someone else as well. It was 2 minutes way from my house. Ive been driving for almost a year and hadn't go the insurance because it was high to be added on and my grandparents wanted to see me put forth the effort before they pay for it. It was a mistake that could have happened to anybody, but of course the blame is put on me bc I didn't have my license. I just got them today 11/16/17 and I told my grandparents what happened. Do I feel bad? of course and I wish it had never happened but I have forgiven myself and ive moved on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniWasEz)
    As far as I'm concerned folk that not only drive without insurance but aren't even qualified to drive should be shot. No sympathy, I really hope you get found out and suffer.
    I should get shot? your ruthless. Threes insurance on the car, I just don't have them. Guess what I found out? the girl didn't have insurance either her after she lied to me and said she did. Plus getting shot is too much and no I shouldn't. thank you. Have a good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I'm sensing American colloquialisms here - am I correct in saying you're not UK based?
    Yes ma'am. A teenager in America.

ReputationRep:
    My point was more you were lucky that time. I have never driven when intoxicated and never used a phone in a car when driving, frankly because if I did hurt someone the guilt would be crushing, it could suck the meaning out of the rest of my life.

So my point was if you err and if it goes wrong you could really hurt yourself (as well as another party).

And just because something else is as foolish/more foolish in no way mitigates that what you did was foolish, so count your blessings and never repeat, because like tossing a coin if you keep doing it eventually you lose, with a car you can drive perfectly 99% of the time but that other 1%, if unlucky, could haunt forever.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Is insurance mandatory in your state? Does your permit allow you to drive unsupervised?

Just clearing these things up as here on our side of the pond, insurance is required and a learner driver can't drive without supervision, so you can expect a lot of backlash from people who assume you are UK based.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Soooo, not only did you seriously break the law on many occasions, you are also a coward for not fessing up to your grandparents and facing the music.

The only reason you were forced to acknowledge your guilt is because you damaged someone else's property. If that accident had not happened, admit it, you would still be using the car illegally. You are now selfishly trying to save your own skin.

You need to grow up, grow some balls, and start thinking of the impact your actions have on other peoples lives. Start by telling your grandparents and accepting the consequences of your actions - before you end up in prison with a criminal record having put someone in hospital or worse before long.
    1) I never said I wasn't going to tell them. I did tell my grandparents and they weren't mad, but happy that I was honest with them, therefore I am not a coward.
    2) Darn right I would have still been driving. How am I selfishly trying to save my own skin? I have class Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 1 to 1:50. My gma drops me off before she goes to work at eight. That means I am waiting in school doing NOTHING for 6 hours. I've been doing that since august when school started and I was miserable. They just started letting my drive this month after I've been driving with my learners for 5 months.
    3) I know how to drive, been doing it for almost a year, thank you. I do have balls which is why I told my grandparents. I always fess up to my truths no matter how bad it is because I don't want that guilt on me. I'm not going to end up in prison because im not a bad kid, I just made a mistake like most of Americas kids these days. Thank you mr/ms perfect for never making a mistake. and being a good citizen of the US
    PS. Just got my license today 11/16/17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Is insurance mandatory in your state? Does your permit allow you to drive unsupervised?

Just clearing these things up as here on our side of the pond, insurance is required and a learner driver can't drive without supervision, so you can expect a lot of backlash from people who assume you are UK based.
    It's the same over here. But I made a mistake and now im over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    No sympathy. You deserve everything you get.
    What a shame the person you bumped didn’t pursue it
    You are a dangerous liability and both you and your grandparents should be prosecuted.
    Stay off the road idiot
    I don't want your sympathy...at all. I'm going to tell you what I told everyone else up her, don't act like you never made a mistake as a teenager that you later regretted. Its called being human, "idiot" Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You're totally missing the point. If you were to crash into someone else' car or property (which is always a possibility no matter how good you are at driving, sometimes you just have momentary lapses in concentration at the worst possible time) and you're not insured, the person you crashed into couldn't claim on your insurance to get the damage repaired. You're extremely lucky that the girl whose care you damaged didn't take your details and report you otherwise you'd be in serious s***. Repeatedly driving without a licence or insurance isn't a simple mistake, it's downright idiotic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.