The Student Room Group

Edge Hill Interview - PGCE Primary 2018 start

Hi everyone!

I'm lucky enough to have been offered an interview with Edge Hill University this month for their PGCE Primary with QTS course. I am terribly nervous - my maths isn't brilliant and I have not studied Science since high school. Just wondering if anyone else has had an interview for PGCE Primary at Edge Hill and has any top tips or advice that they would like to share to prospective trainee teachers?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by chatty_george
Hi everyone!

I'm lucky enough to have been offered an interview with Edge Hill University this month for their PGCE Primary with QTS course. I am terribly nervous - my maths isn't brilliant and I have not studied Science since high school. Just wondering if anyone else has had an interview for PGCE Primary at Edge Hill and has any top tips or advice that they would like to share to prospective trainee teachers?

Hi chatty_george!

Congratulations on your interview with us! I've had a chat with our PGCE interview team and they've shared a few tips for you that I hope will be helpful.

To prepare for your interview they suggest:

β€’

Make sure you've thought about why you've chosen primary as your pgce course so you can explain why you want to work in this age range if you're asked

β€’

You should also have spent time observing in a relevant school

β€’

Spend some time familiarising yourself with the content of the national curriculum

β€’

It can also be helpful to familiarise yourself with current issues in the education sector. Most newspapers will have educational supplements or sections on their website you can have a read of.

Our Education department have some free support sessions in literacy and numeracy that may also be helpful. You can find some details on them here: www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/professional-skills-tests/

Let me know if you have any other questions about the interview or studying with us at Edge Hill :smile:

Hannah
Original post by Edge Hill University
Hi chatty_george!

Congratulations on your interview with us! I've had a chat with our PGCE interview team and they've shared a few tips for you that I hope will be helpful.

To prepare for your interview they suggest:

β€’

Make sure you've thought about why you've chosen primary as your pgce course so you can explain why you want to work in this age range if you're asked

β€’

You should also have spent time observing in a relevant school

β€’

Spend some time familiarising yourself with the content of the national curriculum

β€’

It can also be helpful to familiarise yourself with current issues in the education sector. Most newspapers will have educational supplements or sections on their website you can have a read of.

Our Education department have some free support sessions in literacy and numeracy that may also be helpful. You can find some details on them here: www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/professional-skills-tests/

Let me know if you have any other questions about the interview or studying with us at Edge Hill :smile:

Hannah

Thank you so much Hannah!

I’m so excited at the prospect of coming to your uni.

Best wishes 😊
Hi everyone!

Hi, have you had your interview now? If so I hope it went well! I am currently preparing for mine for the 15th, I'm very excited for it but a little nervous! Any tips for me? My maths also needs a little work so I am concerned about the test!
Original post by jobsonce01
Hi, have you had your interview now? If so I hope it went well! I am currently preparing for mine for the 15th, I'm very excited for it but a little nervous! Any tips for me? My maths also needs a little work so I am concerned about the test!

Hi,
Please don’t worry about your maths - I did pretty badly on the numeracy test but was still offered a place! Just be yourself - make sure you have some great selling points as to why the uni should offer you a place.
For the group presentation on an object make sure you contribute and have plenty of ideas to mention. Also consider the rest of the group’s ideas.
Smile and relax - you’ll be absolutely fine! If you have any more questions just let me know :smile:
Hi,
Please don’t worry about your maths - I did pretty badly on the numeracy test but was still offered a place! Just be yourself - make sure you have some great selling points as to why the uni should offer you a place.
For the group presentation on an object make sure you contribute and have plenty of ideas to mention. Also consider the rest of the group’s ideas.
Smile and relax - you’ll be absolutely fine! If you have any more questions just let me know :smile:

Oh thank you, I feel much better about it now! I'm still definitely going to go over some stuff though, when I volunteered at a primary school there were a few things that seemed quite new to me! Thank you, I'll bear all that in mind :smile:
For the presentation with the object/scenario, what kind of thing did they give to discuss? I'm quite nervous about that because its quite hard to prepare for!
Original post by jobsonce01
Oh thank you, I feel much better about it now! I'm still definitely going to go over some stuff though, when I volunteered at a primary school there were a few things that seemed quite new to me! Thank you, I'll bear all that in mind :smile:
For the presentation with the object/scenario, what kind of thing did they give to discuss? I'm quite nervous about that because its quite hard to prepare for!

For the object in the group presentation we were given an old jewellery box. In the room next to us they were given a message in a bottle. The objects are a way of testing your creativity and group work.
It took a week for my offer to come through and Edge Hill provide you with detailed feedback which is really useful.
I liked the campus but have decided to study closer to home so had to reject their offer sadly.
I really enjoyed the Edge Hill interview.
I have an interview on the 17th and I am absolutetly terrified!! What kind of questions do they ask you in your individual interview? I'm also flying from Ireland for it :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Lauren2912
I have an interview on the 17th and I am absolutetly terrified!! What kind of questions do they ask you in your individual interview? I'm also flying from Ireland for it :s-smilie:

I did the Early Years Education pathway but they may have similar questions, some included the generic why do you want to be a teacher? why this uni/course?, why this age group?, drawing upon your experiences can you describe a good/bad lesson, and why?

The structure of the day is relaxing and welcoming but i think its slightly different tasks for the PGCE primary compared to the Early Years. I was absolutely terrified leading up to it, and the morning before because I have travelled long distance to attend the interview. But, I was completely put at ease, they just wanted to know about my experiences and learn more about me.

Don't worry about the subject knowledge tests they just want to know what you already know. I think for the primary PGCE you have to complete them in maths, english and science.

Good Luck :biggrin:
You are honestly a life saver!! Thank you so much! Much appreciated!
Reply 10
Hi everyone, I'm from Northern Ireland and have my interview this Friday? Kind of nervous about it, any tips or words of advice? I'm having a hard time trying to grasp the English curriculum as they have entirely reshaped the NI curriculum a few years ago and it hard to get my head out of that curriculum, does anyone have any advice on what I should focus on in regards to looking at the curriculum?
Reply 11
I have my Edge Hill primary pgce interview on 23rd can anyone give me any tips? For the English paper and maths exam ?

Quick Reply