Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I’m currently deciding on which A levels to study and I am considering studying medicine at university in a few years time. I will be shadowing a nurse for my work experience in June, however, before I go down the route of science based A levels I have a few questions about medicine that I would be very grateful if you would take the time to answer.

What A levels did you take and where did you study medicine?

In your opinion is the job worth the time in university and hours?

Is the medicine course similar at all to biology/chemistry in A level?

Have you always enjoyed science subjects in school?

Thank you in advance for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What A levels did you take and where did you study medicine?
    A2 Biology, Chemistry, Maths and General Studies (didn't count, obviously) AS Physics

Studied at Leicester

In your opinion is the job worth the time in university and hours?
    Absolutely!

Is the medicine course similar at all to biology/chemistry in A level?
    In the first half year, maybe. Soon it deviates and you realise that while it's very useful for the foundations, in clinical work it is fairly useless.

Have you always enjoyed science subjects in school?
    I did and still do love reading about "other" science topics!

Thank you in advance for your time.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    AS Gen studies, Economics
    A2 Bio, chem, physics, maths, further maths

Still studying. But I don't know... I'm finding it less and less attractive as time goes on. But on the other hand, it is a very flexible career. Can't go from finance to doctor (without med school) but you can in reverse (theoretically! Or at the very least, consulting. Relatively easily). Or medical sociology. Or medical law, or just plain outright guarantee of a job, without worry of being unemployed per se.

And nope. I'd say no beyond basic sciences.

And as you can see from what I did at a-levels, I have always loved natural sciences. Like. I switched to medicine last minute. Was going to apply for physics/maths to be honest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.