Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Every time i apply for a job they want previous experience but i onlyl have experience working in a hotel, i want to try working in retail but they always pick people with experience idk what to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying, I got my first job in retail when I was 16. Never had any experience before that. So they do sometimes choose people completely new.

ReputationRep:
    If you have time try going into places and see if you can do work experience, as it will look good on your CD.

ReputationRep:
    on your CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie G Barker)
    If you have time try going into places and see if you can do work experience, as it will look good on your CD.
    You can fo work experience? How does that usually work?

ReputationRep:
    you go where you would like and ask and if they say yes about work experience they will get you to do different jobs in their shop

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer in a charity shop - that will give you retail experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaisguts)
    You can fo work experience? How does that usually work?
    I volunteered in a charity shop before I even started applying for paid jobs as I knew the amount of applications would be high and how competitive it was. It gives you the relevant experience needed in a retail setting - customer service, using a till, re-stocking items etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaisguts)
    Every time i apply for a job they want previous experience but i onlyl have experience working in a hotel, i want to try working in retail but they always pick people with experience idk what to do
    Like others have said and suggested, try volunteering in a charity shop. That is the most common route how people get work experience.
    Also it will look good on your CV as it shows to employers that you have taken some of your free time to do so - even without getting paid for it.

I have done a lot of volunteering whilst at university (juggling that with a part-time weekend job!) and it all paid off because I had learned so many things especially transferable skills that all employers look for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.