Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got a computer science degree but I dont want a programming job Watch

ReputationRep:
    firstly, have i wasted my 3 years at university ?

plus the 1 year I wasted when I dropped out of engineering.

plus another 2 years doing the wrong A levels such as maths and physics and further maths

so have I wasted 6 years of my life ?

after my second year of computer science I wanted to drop out as I realised programming was no longer for me and I didn't like it....but I continued on just to finish it.

my passion is in the creative industry ..

what do I do now ?

how do i get all those years back ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

You can use your programming knowledge in the creative industry.

E.g. 3D modelling/video game studios. Photoshop. You can do really creating things with programming. E.g. artistic scripts with Python, take the colour range from one image and paste it realistically into another image. Or scripts to create complex 3D scenes for use in renders or games.

ReputationRep:
    that's it....no one else is gonna answer.....

(Original post by study beats)
    that's it....no one else is gonna answer.....
    Well **** you too then.

ReputationRep:
    I’ll have to agree with what FriendlyPenguin said

ReputationRep:
    You could always get a job in programming part time and pursue your career in the arts independently?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered teaching ? it is quite creative

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:

plus another 2 years doing the wrong A levels such as maths and physics and further maths

after my second year of computer science I wanted to drop out as I realised programming was no longer for me and I didn't like it....but I continued on just to finish it.

what do I do now ?

I am doing Computer Science and Im kinda similar. There are so many roles if you don't want to go into direct development. You could look into finance corporations or banks, they love Comp Science grads.

Otherwise look into technology consulting, strategy consulting, business and tech consulting or analyst- they prefer a comp science degree.

If you want to use your creativity, look for UI, UX designer roles. These are very very popular right now and if you can show some work you've done like Balsamic mock-ups or Uni modules you would definitely be able to get it I think. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Well **** you too then.
    I didnt ignore you penguin, I was just waiting for more replies

buy 3D modelling do you mean doing using software such as 3D max

because I'm because I'm sure that if you want to develop 3D modelling video games and stuff like that then you need complex program it goes right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmmarTa)
    You could always get a job in programming part time and pursue your career in the arts independently?
    how

that will waste more years of my life

how do i get the time back that I have wasted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Have you considered teaching ? it is quite creative

:dontknow:
    teach after wasting 6 years of my life ??

ReputationRep:
    teach after wasting 6 years of my life ??
    you have a degree in a desirable subject... it is not as if you are on the scrapheap.

ReputationRep:
    how

that will waste more years of my life

how do i get the time back that I have wasted
    You don't; you have wasted the past.
    The only way you can feel as if you have got them years back is by doing something you enjoy-otherwise your entire life you will feel as if it has been wasted. If your financially stable, go peruse the career you want. I know its easier said then done, but it comes down to how bad you want to gain those wasted time back-if you truly/reallyyyy want to regain time, you would've already made up your mind by now.

I didnt ignore you penguin, I was just waiting for more replies

buy 3D modelling do you mean doing using software such as 3D max

because I'm because I'm sure that if you want to develop 3D modelling video games and stuff like that then you need complex program it goes right
    By 3D modelling, I meant things like 3D Max, and its better alternative Blender 3D (these days it is better for most things, except it has a steeper learning curve, and isn't used at the bigger studios for compatibility and too much hassle for them to switch. It is also free and open source)

You can use Python to extend Blender, to make really good renders (really neat things like on here https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/top) - but if you want to make a game, you'll probably want to create models in Blender and export to Unity (or Unreal) and code in C# or whatever it uses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you have a degree in a desirable subject... it is not as if you are on the scrapheap.
    i was never good at teaching

I am sorry this option won't work for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    You don't; you have wasted the past.
    The only way you can feel as if you have got them years back is by doing something you enjoy-otherwise your entire life you will feel as if it has been wasted. If your financially stable, go peruse the career you want. I know its easier said then done, but it comes down to how bad you want to gain those wasted time back-if you truly/reallyyyy want to regain time, you would've already made up your mind by now.
    I have wasted the past ??

why would you say that, now I am more depressed ..

also I haven't made my mind up, I can't because I don't think there's any point in living now ..I have basically messed everything up and I wont wake up until I have my years back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    By 3D modelling, I meant things like 3D Max, and its better alternative Blender 3D (these days it is better for most things, except it has a steeper learning curve, and isn't used at the bigger studios for compatibility and too much hassle for them to switch. It is also free and open source)

You can use Python to extend Blender, to make really good renders (really neat things like on here https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/top) - but if you want to make a game, you'll probably want to create models in Blender and export to Unity (or Unreal) and code in C# or whatever it uses.
    I can use html and css for creativity and that's about it

i was never good with java and stuff like c and c sharp , I don't like working with those programming languages anyway

ReputationRep:

what do I do now ?

Instead of looking at what you’ve done in the past you should look at what you can do in the future. How can you make the most of the time ahead of you? You can’t change the past, but you can change your future. If you want to go into the creative industry then you should go and look for jobs in that department and apply.

also I haven't made my mind up, I can't because I don't think there's any point in living now ..I have basically messed everything up and I wont wake up until I have my years back
    You haven't wasted your past.

Your CompSci background will be a great selling point - you just need to play your cards right. Utilise your CompSci background, don't throw in the towel and do something where you can't use your maths and programming skills.

ReputationRep:

Uh, you said in a reply to thebear teach after wasting 6 years of my life ?? (idk how to quote stuff)

Sorry anyways man. Maybe you should seek help, but just know you haven't messed everything up yet-it can get better, you have a degree that other people may have got turned down from/failed the course. Some people would love to have your degree, and its still useful, although you won't enjoy you can make money from it.
    Maybe get a job and use the money gained to get into whatever course you want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.