Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and really want to do medicine, so I’ll be applying next year. I know you have to do volunteering to get a better chance at getting into unis for medicine, and was just wondering if a primary school is a good place to volunteer? Or should i stick to volunteering in a care home? Only thing is I’ve applied to volunteer in two care homes so far and none have showed interest😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahzm)
    Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and really want to do medicine, so I’ll be applying next year. I know you have to do volunteering to get a better chance at getting into unis for medicine, and was just wondering if a primary school is a good place to volunteer? Or should i stick to volunteering in a care home? Only thing is I’ve applied to volunteer in two care homes so far and none have showed interest😕
    As long as you (think you) can justify the reasons for volunteering to the interviewers / in your personal statement, you can volunteer whereever you like. I volunteered in a hospital renal dialysis unit, carrying tea and coffee for the nurses before I applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahzm)
    The question you have to try and answer after completing all of your work experience and volunteering is: "why has this helped me decide I want to do medicine and become a doctor?".

If volunteering at a primary school can help you answer that question then that's fine, however beware of making tenuous links - a care home would certainly be the more obvious choice for someone wanting to go into healthcare.

Two care homes isn't very many so don't let that discourage you. Cast your net a bit wider?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.