Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Statement from the Liberal Party Leader Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    The drafts of many of those bills are currently sitting in the Labour subforum. I do think it takes a bit of a brass neck for the Liberals to take sole credit for bills written by a then-member of the Labour Party who later defected.
    Could you tell me how much input I had from Labour members?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Nice of you to pop out the woodwork with no idea of what's happened.
    :awesome:

(Original post by Tommy1boy)
    I'll bare that in mind , although I am sure you appreciate that my comment was not primarily pointed at you. I think we can both agree a lot of what has gone on in the MHoC has been ridiculous this past few months.

EDIT: Your always welcome back home if you want it
    Perhaps it was. Perhaps it was not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Nice of you to pop out the woodwork with no idea of what's happened.
    I have that luxury now being split from the Liberals and I am entitled to comment to express my disappointment at the collapse of something I worked hard to form. The circumstances given in your statement seem to be enough for non-government members of the house to make their own assumptions, so why am I exempt from this? I have used that to base my understanding of the situation.

Any collapse in a government is upsetting for the parties involved, so you will excuse me if I naturally express my dismay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Could you tell me how much input I had from Labour members?
    Well I can see comments on virtually all of the ones in the Labour sub even before they were transferred over. The point though is that you were a Labour member. It's a bit rich for the Liberals as a party to take credit for bills you wrote whilst a Labour member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    My thoughts exactly.

Members were consulted during the negotiation process. Anyone claiming members were not consulted is talking from their rear. I won't make excuses or detail my time as leader or the inevitably long list of faults that came with it (which include not formalising agreements) - I haven't the time or the interest, that's irrelevant now and I don't much care as that's on the current leadership team. Or was, to put it correctly. I know one thing, I would not have allowed this to happen.

I wouldn't have been able to negotiate a position for the liberals without the help of my capable colleagues. We got an excellent deal, quite frankly. However, yet again, the Liberals have decided to pull out of government at the detriment of their peers, whom they should support rather than stab in the back. Disappointing and very unfortunate.
    Your words of "get on board or you should consider your position" come to mind
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note, I am not surprised by this as several Liberals have told me this term how they were becoming disillusioned with their coalition partners and I can especially understand this if it is indeed the case that the Chancellor was stabbed in the back so to speak. In general however, I have been disappointed by the government this term and I hope the Prime Minister decides to hold a general election so that the House can return to a state of normality.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have that luxury now being split from the Liberals and I am entitled to comment to express my disappointment at the collapse of something I worked hard to form. The circumstances given in your statement seem to be enough for non-government members of the house to make their own assumptions, so why am I exempt from this? I have used that to base my understanding of the situation.

Any collapse in a government is upsetting for the parties involved, so you will excuse me if I naturally express my dismay.
    You're on PRSOM, bestie

ReputationRep:
    yes
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I am glad that my words are this memorable to you. Do the words in our constitution regarding the privacy of our forum also come to mind? Or have you forgotten about that? As I said, I make no excuses for my leadership - that's completely irrelevant. This is on you, not me.

ReputationRep:
    I am glad that my words are this memorable to you. Do the words in our constitution regarding the privacy of our forum also come to mind? Or have you forgotten about that? As I said, I make no excuses for my leadership - that's completely irrelevant. This is on you, not me.
    As far as I am aware this was not said in the TSR Liberal Party forum.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    *grabs popcorn*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware this was not said in the TSR Liberal Party forum.
    Which even further demonstrates how irrelevant the quote is. At any rate, this has nothing to do with me sadly. You decided to pull out of the government and naturally I am disappointed with that. Your choice to hang on to the past is your own and I respect it, but invite you to move on. I'm not coming back.

With that, I'm off - I have a cocktail waiting for me on this MHoC retirement island. It really is rather fancy here, you know. The Wi-Fi is terrible, though.

ReputationRep:
    Which even further demonstrates how irrelevant the quote is. At any rate, this has nothing to do with me sadly. You decided to pull out of the government and naturally I am disappointed with that. Your choice to hang on to the past is your own and I respect it, but invite you to move on. I'm not coming back.

With that, I'm off - I have a cocktail waiting for me on this MHoC retirement island. It really is rather fancy here, you know.
    One could make an argument that if we have had a coalition agreement, or even a vote, before we entered this coalition this would not have happened, and so looking at the past to avoid these sort of mistakes is not just relevant, but vital for us as a party to look to the future.

I am sure you will enjoy your retirement, as will I.

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts exactly.

Members were consulted during the negotiation process. Anyone claiming members were not consulted is talking from their rear. I won't make excuses or detail my time as leader or the inevitably long list of faults that came with it (which include not formalising agreements) - I haven't the time or the interest, that's irrelevant now and I don't much care as that's on the current leadership team. Or was, to put it correctly. I know one thing, I would not have allowed this to happen.

I wouldn't have been able to negotiate a position for the liberals without the help of my capable colleagues. We got an excellent deal, quite frankly. However, yet again, the Liberals have decided to pull out of government at the detriment of their peers, whom they should support rather than stab in the back. Disappointing and very unfortunate.
    Yes it was the liberals fault that labour and the socs decided to demand last minute additions to the budget and treat them poorly, I would say that’s more on your failure as leader, it says a lot that you cause a mess and then blame others
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Well I can see comments on virtually all of the ones in the Labour sub even before they were transferred over. The point though is that you were a Labour member. It's a bit rich for the Liberals as a party to take credit for bills you wrote whilst a Labour member.
    Most of the comments were mine iirc. I can see your point, however it should be noted that I was only in the Labour party as that had been the party i had been in the last time I was active and after failing to get enough help within the Labour party i had to seek a more active party. It still demonstrates some of the problems the TSR Labour party has with activity and shows how it would be a difficult party for a new member of the house to be a part of. I become active with 5 bills ready written and an eagerness to be involved and ended up leaving in weeks. If I had been a new member this would not have led to me becoming more enthusiastic about becoming active in the house.

As others have said, I feel no ill will to my old party but it needs to put things in place to address these issues.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaha.

Liberal Party.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wow. The nocturnal animals have decided to come out of their hiding places.

There is great irony when one calls their own party "illiberal" and forgets they decided to drag their party into a coalition it didn't want to join, tell their members to "get on board or you should consider your position" and then act like everything is fine and ignore the concerns of their own members... A lot has happened since the previous Leadership of the Liberals ceased to exist - it might be useful to update yourself before making a comment but it's already too late.

ReputationRep:
    Well done to the right wing liberals for not caving the the soc dem cucks who seem to be throwing their toys out of the pram in this thread.

Let it be known that the libertarians are always willing to collaborate with the true Liberals, that is, those with a sense of individualism and a desire to see economic freedom, those that engineered this statement, we will always be your friends and we will await your contact.

I am sure my leader, Saunders16, will echo me on this.

ReputationRep:
    One could make an argument that if we have had a coalition agreement, or even a vote, before we entered this coalition this would not have happened, and so looking at the past to avoid these sort of mistakes is not just relevant, but vital for us as a party to look to the future.

I am sure you will enjoy your retirement, as will I.
    Hear! Hear! As a former liberal member I echo the right honourable comments.

ReputationRep:

With that, I'm off - I have a cocktail waiting for me on this MHoC retirement island. It really is rather fancy here, you know. The Wi-Fi is terrible, though.
    The quote is not irrelevant it shows you threatened members of the cabinet to get in line via explosion from the cabinet. You claim the party has become iliberal yet you ran the party iliberally. The liberals are in this mess because of you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.