Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    The quote is not irrelevant it shows you threatened members of the cabinet to get in line via explosion from the cabinet. You claim the party has become iliberal yet you ran the party iliberally. The liberals are in this mess because of you.
    Just think of the where the liberal party would have been if it was not made obvious that he would be leader after petros and the amount of members lost from the party over it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Wow. The nocturnal animals have decided to come out of their hiding places.

There is great irony when one calls their own party "illiberal" and forgets they decided to drag their party into a coalition it didn't want to join, tell their members to "get on board or you should consider your position" and then act like everything is fine and ignore the concerns of their own members... A lot has happened since the previous Leadership of the Liberals ceased to exist - it might be useful to update yourself before making a comment but it's already too late.
    It is natural that you would support and welcome the collapse of this government, and I am indeed welcoming of fresh faces to compete in an election. What I think is important is that we don't get too muddled in the past leadership of the Liberals, which you and I have both pointed out is mostly irrelevant and not of note. Of course I am not going to be as caught up as my more capable colleagues, that's only a fair assumption to make. Rather than taking my comments personally, simply view them as someone expressing dismay for their creation coming to nothing rather than them being a reflection of anything else. The fault there could well be accountable to myself, but I am henceforth removed from such situations and so cannot take responsibility for anything further. I have always been upfront about my time as leader. It wasn't a pretty time and I will always be the first to say that.

I am aware, more than anyone, of my shortcomings as leader - despite the many sarky psychoanalyses I have received both during and after that time, I am not in need of a reminder. I resigned for a reason, let it be said that I have made decisions I regret and that I wasn't the best of Liberal leaders. I do feel that perhaps you are not as well-versed in the politics of the Liberals at that time as you appear to be, or perhaps there are gaps in your knowledge, but I can assure you that I acted in what I thought was the best way at the time for the Liberals.

As a final remark, if you wish to pass comment on something I have said, I invite you to refer to me directly and quote me in. I don't have time for games like this and frankly I don't want there to be any friction between us as I am greatly irrelevant in this house now and respect you as an individual outside of this house. For everyone's sake, let's move on.

I'm off now, properly. Sorry to jump in again. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and I encourage that. I don't blame you for being excited about the opportunities for the Conservatives as this comes to light and I wish you all the best, as I would anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Well done to the right wing liberals for not caving the the soc dem cucks who seem to be throwing their toys out of the pram in this thread.

Let it be known that the libertarians are always willing to collaborate with the true Liberals, that is, those with a sense of individualism and a desire to see economic freedom, those that engineered this statement, we will always be your friends and we will await your contact.

I am sure my leader, Saunders16, will echo me on this.
    Hear, hear!

We have provided proper opposition throughout the term and even if the opposition as a whole has been divided throughout the term, we are capable of being the deepest of friends when the country needs it, and - if this is that time - I welcome them with open arms. The left has proven them incapable of leading this country to where it needs to be in these tough times for many years and if we can collaborate without abandoning the individualist values that will make this country great and without being treated like some have treated us since our founding, the future could be a bright one. I deeply echo your comments and, jokes aside, I am delighted to see a shift in the Liberal Party's persuasion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    MR's lengthy and detailed comments on the whole thing:

No comment.

:ninja:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Thank you for pointing out some of the other policies our government can be proud of.I still support the aims of the Licencing Act, though I accept that more thought needs to go into figures used and how they are presented. I hope the opportunity to discuss these ideas with members of other parties so an amended form can return to the house next term.

The budget was one of my parties main reasons for leaving this coalition.
    From what the chancellor has told me your party is entirely to blame for being so spineless over the budget.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    It is natural that you would support and welcome the collapse of this government, and I am indeed welcoming of fresh faces to compete in an election. What I think is important is that we don't get too muddled in the past leadership of the Liberals, which you and I have both pointed out is mostly irrelevant and not of note. Of course I am not going to be as caught up as my more capable colleagues, that's only a fair assumption to make. Rather than taking my comments personally, simply view them as someone expressing dismay for their creation coming to nothing rather than them being a reflection of anything else. The fault there could well be accountable to myself, but I am henceforth removed from such situations and so cannot take responsibility for anything further. I have always been upfront about my time as leader. It wasn't a pretty time and I will always be the first to say that.

I am aware, more than anyone, of my shortcomings as leader - despite the many sarky psychoanalyses I have received both during and after that time, I am not in need of a reminder. I resigned for a reason, let it be said that I have made decisions I regret and that I wasn't the best of Liberal leaders. I do feel that perhaps you are not as well-versed in the politics of the Liberals at that time as you appear to be, or perhaps there are gaps in your knowledge, but I can assure you that I acted in what I thought was the best way at the time for the Liberals.

As a final remark, if you wish to pass comment on something I have said, I invite you to refer to me directly and quote me in. I don't have time for games like this and frankly I don't want there to be any friction between us as I am greatly irrelevant in this house now and respect you as an individual outside of this house. For everyone's sake, let's move on.

I'm off now, properly. Sorry to jump in again. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and I encourage that. I don't blame you for being excited about the opportunities for the Conservatives as this comes to light and I wish you all the best, as I would anyone else.
    Don't you have an armchair to sit in?:hmmm: Sipping coacoa in your slippers?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love how the commie OAPs are coming out of retirement to ***** about the commie government falling, maybe they are considering returning and joining Labour.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Gotta love how the commie OAPs are coming out of retirement to ***** about the commie government falling, maybe they are considering returning and joining Labour.
    Are you including myself in the 'OAP' category? Because we've probably been MHoCers for about the same amount of time--it's just that I achieved vastly more in that time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Are you including myself in the 'OAP' category? Because we've probably been MHoCers for about the same amount of time--it's just that I achieved vastly more in that time.
    I'm talking about Airhead and 12 year old i***** (:wavey:) who were supposed to have left but have no mysteriously returned

ReputationRep:
    Are you in retirement from the MHoC?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about Airhead and 12 year old i***** (:wavey:) who were supposed to have left but have no mysteriously returned
    Oh yeah, I forgot you considered several Liberals to be 'commies'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    From what the chancellor has told me your party is entirely to blame for being so spineless over the budget.
    This may be partly true I'm afraid. We were a small part of this government and in most areas we pulled our weight well, but perhaps we were too flexible on the budget. In the end the entire thing was shredded up days before submission and replaced with the one the house has seen. Certainly on that last part especially we should have been more robust.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    :awesome:

Perhaps it was. Perhaps it was not.
    Thought you said we were all crazy and you were too busy to look at the crazy unfolding
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Thought you said we were all crazy and you were too busy to look at the crazy unfolding
    I ended up taking a break from work. Do you know how irritating it is to research US-EU military security? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Scummy little Liberals, definitely no backbone now.

#ConceitedTheNewPetros
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lol. The Wendy House of Commons lurches from crisis to crisis. :rofl:

It's not that surprising, the Liberals are in effect two parties. The Libertarian-minded half never really wanted to be in coalition to begin with. That's what happens when you admit fake Liberals into the party. Petros killed the TSR Lib Dems. :emo:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    This may be partly true I'm afraid. We were a small part of this government and in most areas we pulled our weight well, but perhaps we were too flexible on the budget. In the end the entire thing was shredded up days before submission and replaced with the one the house has seen. Certainly on that last part especially we should have been more robust.
    You have a funny definition of small and pulling weight, you were a small part by being second party with the Chancellor, Defence, and DWP (and irrelevant stuff). With these briefs you published a naff budget that you didn't even write a lot of and wasn't even correctly costed with it being so bad I'm having to think about whether no costing would have been better or not. For defence you produced a SoI that did basically nothing, couldn't cost it properly, and had 3 ministers in a row incapable of answering simple questions on their brief. With the DWP absolutely nothing happened.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I forgot you considered several Liberals to be 'commies'.
    I'm guessing you didn't bother reading the budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)

It's not that surprising, the Liberals are in effect two parties. The Libertarian-minded half never really wanted to be in coalition to begin with. That's what happens when you admit fake Liberals into the party. Petros killed the TSR Lib Dems. :emo:
    Who are the fake liberals? There are no libers in that party
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)

The Libertarians left. They have a new party now, or just try to kill others. I can assure you we are a very peaceful party internally now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.