Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grow Your Grades - It's Thyme, Lettuce begin Watch

ReputationRep:

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 20
Size:  45.3 KB

Morgan's Grow Your Own Grades Blog

Helllooo! I'm Morgan, I'm 17 and I would like to start off by saying sorry not sorry for the grow/plant puns... I couldn't resist... Also, I know I'm a tad late into the Academic year but hey, it's never too late to start.

My A-levels
    ICT - B (Predicted)
    Sociology - B (Predicted)
    Psychology - B (Predicted)
    English Literature - D (Predicted)

My aim over this academic year is to continue to work to my predicted grades - I would love to bring my English up to a C, and maybe bring my ICT to an A if I really work at it.
    I'm also currently waiting on my referee at my sixth form to BOOP the button to send off my UCAS!

Universities I'm applying to
    Edge Hill - (if accepted, definitely my Firm)
    University of Worcester - (if accepted, my insurance)
    Northumbria University
    Southampton Solent University
    University of Central Lancashire
    (BTW I'd be more than happy to go to the other 3, I just prefer Edge Hill and Worcester)

So I'll probably update this as often as I can, mainly with revision notes. Looking forward to everyone else's blogs (feel free to leave yours ^-^)!

ReputationRep:

14th November 2017
    Name:  seporater.png
Views: 16
Size:  41.9 KB
    Revision topic: Christina Rossetti and Duchess Of Malfi (English Lit)
    Revision Plan: Re-do each Poem and Character and write key quotes to match the Themes
    Video/Song of choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmyUcpA1B6I (BTS - DNA Lyric Video)
    Snacks: Half a Hot chocolate and some Shortbread
    Anything to add? Well as you've seen, HALF a hot chocolate... My dog - bless her heart - knocked it over and spilt it all over my previous revision, so I'm having to redo that... I was looking forward to that hot chocolate as well. Oh well, accidents happen. I have NO homework which is a blessing, so after re-doing the revision I'm probably going to be chilling in bed watching Youtube and talking to people. Hope you're all having a great evening!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! First off I'm very much here for the puns! Already loving your structure of this blog, not like any others I've seen. I'm also doing English literature, which modules are you currently studying?? Feel free to check out my gyg and I'll definitely be following this thread!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving your blog already :love: that title is just genius! I'm definitely going to keep following, I love that snacks section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellopooch)
    Hello! First off I'm very much here for the puns! Already loving your structure of this blog, not like any others I've seen. I'm also doing English literature, which modules are you currently studying?? Feel free to check out my gyg and I'll definitely be following this thread!
    I'm a sucker for puns We're currently doing Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte and Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austin (Comparative Study) with one teacher, and A long long way - Sebastian Barry (Literature Post-1900 Critical Appreciation coursework) along with some Unseen Extracts. We didn't do the AS, so last year we did Hamlet (section 1) and Christina Rossetti and Duchess of Malfi (section 2) (Drama and Pre-1900 property). How are you finding it? And ill be sure to check it out!
    (Original post by Amefish)
    I'm loving your blog already :love: that title is just genius! I'm definitely going to keep following, I love that snacks section
    Aww thank you!

Edit: Don't know why the Lil plants are there... they're not showing up in attachments soo... I don't know..
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

15th November 2017
Views: 22

Revision topic: Schizophrenia (Psychology)
    Revision Plan: Re-cap everything in preparation for tomorrows End of topic Test (Hoping to achieve a C? Possible a B?)
    Video/Song of choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V82qSnN9eFE&list=PLRQGRB gN_EnqbmAguVJGpJuGx9NwP8ihN (Currently re-watching the entirety of Game Grumps - Breath of The Wild playthrough)
    Snacks: Glass of coke and some shortbread (can you tell I love shortbread)
    Anything to add? Hello Everyone! So this post is going to be about the 'ugly' side of being me, but I feel like as a blog, I do need to be open. So I have depression (currently on Citalopram) so keeping up my grades is a daily struggle (like most students to be honest). Without going into to much detail, today hasn't been the best. However, I've been trying to get motivated to do my revision because of the test tomorrow. Just "Getting on with it" sometimes doesn't work - for me anyway. So I've set my revision time for the whole night. I've been "revising" since half 5, Doing little bits as I go, so I'm still revising, but not to the intense amount I'm used to/I usually do.
    To end things on a more lighter note, I've started working on my app. This will probably be a side project to do on weekends and holidays, but I'll be working on a student app. It will be a task-based levelling app, where it should help students like myself organise their life a bit better, whilst implementing a gaming type reward system. It'll make more sense as development goes on. Speaking of development, I completely forgot to add what my aspiration is, career-wise. I want to become a web developer and either join a major company (my dream would be Sony) or a charity/university.
    I guess this is all I have to say tonight. I have some intense revision to get through the next couple of days, so I'll probably update soon. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!

ReputationRep:
    wow, we aren't covering any of those texts. Are you finding them interesting? i'm finding our texts pretty mixed and some very challeging. We studied 'a streetcar named desire' which i loved but poetry is much trickier i find. overall its interesting though, definitely a lot of work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellopooch)
    wow, we aren't covering any of those texts. Are you finding them interesting? i'm finding our texts pretty mixed and some very challeging. We studied 'a streetcar named desire' which i loved but poetry is much trickier i find. overall its interesting though, definitely a lot of work!
    They're alright! Christina Rossetti's poetry is a bit annoying (she's so contradicting it's unreal) and hamlets... Well hamlet, it's the actors that make it good so lucky we can reference the Benedict Cumberbatch version. We're doing Wilfred Owen poetry for coursework and his stuff is good considering I find war literature facinating. A long long way is the same. And duchess of malfi (which I thought was duchess of malfoy and I thought it was Draco malfoy parading round in a dress shouting 'POTTER' ) is actually good. They're all 'easy' just drags on. I struggle the most with unseen extracts to be honest. I like to be prepared and it's hard to be prepared for an UNSEEN text
    And it's a lot of work and it's my 'worst' subject in terms of grades, but I refuse to just quit

ReputationRep:

18th November 2017

Views: 8
    Revision Topic: Duchess of Malfi
    Revision Plan: Getting key quotes for characters for themes
    Video/Song of Choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyS-74sRTE (Joe Rogan Experience #835 - Louis Theroux )
    Snacks: Shortbread... again
    Anything to add? Hello! So it's been a couple days, it's been wild because of my end of topic test, and getting ready for mocks next week. But I'm back baby!! I'm currently on a 'Louis Theroux' kick... again. He's my favourite documentarist/journalist - just an awkward British guy whose... so intelligent about the world and his documentaries are really interesting, if you're into - most of the time - taboo topics, I strongly urge you to watch his stuff, he's great. I'm starting to just put the link instead of the video because it seemed a bit 'Bulky' and I want my blog to have a bit more flow and subtleness to it (she says whilst having a damn cactus line at the beginning of each post).
    Today I want to talk about Preparedness for Revision. So many people I know (myself included) leave revision so close to real exams then find themselves going crazy realising they're running out of time and have nothing to really revise from. So this year, I'm making an effort to prepare all my revision material so I don't drive myself to a breakdown next year. And I encourage you all to do it. Even if you e.g. make a booklet for Biology, and you do a page a day or something like that. You don't even have to do it at home, I do most my work in my free's at sixth form, or at my boyfriend's if I'm struggling to do it at home (I'm also partial to rocking up to Costa, grabbing a tea or black forest hot chocolate and doing it there - It's the best thing in the world). So if you get a spare hour, do it in an environment that will get you to do work. I see motivation as a craft, a skill you learn to have. My skill in terms of level would be about a 1, and I aim to get it to a 4 at least for University. From what I've heard, University is very "You do you" in terms of the lecturers will put in the effort to those who put give the effort back to them (This is all from family/friends so don't quote me). I struggle with motivation, and if I'm not in the mood to do something, chances are it's not getting done.
    I'll wrap this up for tonight so I don't waffle on too much. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!

ReputationRep:
    well its super awesome to see you persist with it! i know the struggle to keep motivated but you sound like you're doing great

ReputationRep:

23rd November 2017
Views: 1
    Revision Topic: English
    Revision Plan: Finish off a Duchess of Malfi/Rossetti essay then Hamlet key quotes/scenes
    Video/song of Choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8QFWGZ5UM (The best of Game Grumps - Sonic Boom)
    Snacks: Apple and Blackcurrant Squash
    Anything to add? Heelloo how are we all? So I've been a bit busy lately... napping. I had to take a break from revision because my attention was just not up to it. UCAS has been bumming me out, I've been waiting over 2 weeks for my referee to press the button, apparently my applications good to go, but it's just my Tutors reference that needs to be checked... which I got told Monday, so it should be done right now. Everyones getting offers, and I'm still waiting for it to be sent off and it's getting my nerves on edge... And there's nothing I can do. So yeah, it's been a stressful week, so I don't have much to write. I'm at a party tomorrow so I'll be recovering over the weekend. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.