Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you ace listening,reading and speaking exam at language GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Spanish but a language is a language and the most probably share the same tips. In this case, can you tell me any secrets and ways to pass these exams?! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Listen to Spanish radio/news! There are a few different apps to chose from, and live streams on Youtube. That'll help you get used to identifying words and phrases that are commonly used, and it'll help with your pronunciation. Finding Spanish singers you like would be good too.

It's also worth finding a list of common words (e.g and, but, if, therefore, after, up, down, etc), and make sure you're familiar with words in topics that are bound to come up. Usually it's stuff like jobs, towns, the environment, school life and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Practice!

Listening - Complete as many past papers as possible. For different specifications, for past exams etc just listen to the recordings and try to fill in the answers. Save the past papers for your specification until the end but try to get used to listening exams.

Reading - Same as above.

Speaking - Practice speaking to somebody else. Even if they don't speak spanish, they'll still be able to ask you the questions (you'll have to give them a list of questions to ask you). You'll get used to having to speak without pausing. Also, record yourself and play it back so you can check if what you're saying is accurate. Obviously if you're able to practice speaking with someone who speaks spanish that would be ideal but its unlikely that you'll be able to do this outside of class.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo and memrise mah friend x

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSE French
    What helps me is listening to French music (and learning what the lyrics means in English) and watching French movies with English subtitles. It just makes it all more engaging for me. This can also really help with the listening exam. Also, do you know any Spanish speaking people? If so, try making everyday conversations with them. If not, you can practice with your friends/classmates from Spanish class. Language is a very social subject, and I learned just in time sitting down and reading tonnes of translations just doesn't help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.