Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone planning their dissertation?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wally123)
    Well, I had already thought of my idea over the summer. When I was in final year, I had created a timetable of all the things I wanted to do and then set deadlines for each of those things and stick to it. Keep in mind, there were several main deadlines such as the PDD and the presentation that I had to work towards.

I would suggest doing the same, you become more organised and you have everything in one place. Either make it into a table in Word or a spreadsheet in Excel.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi wally123 :hello:

When I was working towards my dissertation I had a notepad just for ideas. Whenever I had a potential idea I would make sure to write it down as there is nothing worse than having an amazing idea and not being able to remember it. I would also use mind maps to expand on the ideas and what theories or concepts I could get from that idea.

Once I had chosen my overall idea I spent a lot of time reading reading and reading some more until it all clicked into place.

Dissertations are hard but trust me it will become like your baby and you'll be proud of yourself at the end.

Hope this helps and wishing you the best of luck

Ruth

ReputationRep:
    I have to have my research proposal for my master's done by January 9th, I have no clue what I am doing lol

ReputationRep:
    I was unorthodox in ym approach to both my BA and MA dissertations insofar as I knoew what I was interested in and jsut sat and wrote them over the course of about 10 days each time. I don't really plan. I'm halfway through a PhD thesis now and haven't ever planned any of it outside of reading a book and thinking 'this is *******s, I'll write my thesis on it'.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

It's a weird one - over summer, I had a pretty solid idea of what I was going to research based on a subject I thought I'd be good at. But I slowly started to become bored with the idea, and one day a new idea just popped into my head that I completely loved, and I am really enjoying learning about it.

My uni was different to some others because they hadn't mentioned our dissertations until we actually got into third year, while some other universities asked for proposals at the end of second year. I have to submit my proposal on Monday (I should really be finishing that off now but hey). For the proposal, the sections included working title and research question; research outline/lit review; research aims; plan for methodology, analysis and ethical considerations; then the bibliography. I used these topic headings to plan my proposal, giving the priority to the lit review and the plan for the methodology of my investigation.

For the actual dissertation, I will use this as a model and basically fill it out with the actual details of my research rather than the plan for it. I'm going to give myself deadlines for certain aspects of the dissertation, such as the ethical forms, certain parts of the analysis, the experiment I'm conducting, and the surveys I'm sending out. This should help me to get the dissertation done at a reasonable rate without leaving things until the last minute!

What are you thinking of doing your dissertation about?

Ellie

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.