Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Firms have to have a bias towards EU students - its the way the legislation around immigration is based. As a recruiter I have to prove that I can't recruit within the EU first and therefore I am allowed to recruit international students from outside of the EU.
    I always wonder why people say this. I've read the rules over and over again. The only time an employer would need to prove they couldn't recruit from within the EU first, is when they are trying to hire workers who are literally overseas (i.e. who aren't within the UK e.g. on a tier 4 visa). There is no RLMT (Resident Labour Market Test) when hiring an international student (on a tier 4 visa in the UK) who would then be switching to a tier 2 work permit/visa if hired.

You say you're a recruiter? Would I be wrong if I hypothesised that many recruiters don't actually know these rules properly and that this serves to disadvantage many international students?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayvonne_o)
    I always wonder why people say this. I've read the rules over and over again. The only time an employer would need to prove they couldn't recruit from within the EU first, is when they are trying to hire workers who are literally overseas (i.e. who aren't within the UK e.g. on a tier 4 visa). There is no RLMT (Resident Labour Market Test) when hiring an international student (on a tier 4 visa in the UK) who would then be switching to a tier 2 work permit/visa if hired.

You say you're a recruiter? Would I be wrong if I hypothesised that many recruiters don't actually know these rules properly and that this serves to disadvantage many international students?
    The employer does need a licenced to offer a Tier 2 visa though, even if the labour market test isn't needed, otherwise they can't offer non-EU applicants the job.

Plus if there is time out between them graduating and starting the TC, then they can't be switched from Tier 4 to Tier 2 and the RMLT is required. It has also problematic in the past that the accerlated LPC hasn't been recognised as a long enough course to switch someone from Tier 4 to Tier 2, although that might have changed (I haven't applied for any visas in a good 3 years now).

It used to be easier just to complete the RMLT as you typically would recruit some who studied outside of the UK, or some who had time out between their degree and starting a TC. Once you have done one RMLT you could apply it against all applicants as needed.

But recruiters are aware you don't need to do the RMLT for those transfering directly from Tier 4 to Tier 2 if all conditions are met - although there are still other requirements needed if you want to do this (proving you have advertised widely for instance).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The employer does need a licenced to offer a Tier 2 visa though, even if the labour market test isn't needed, otherwise they can't offer non-EU applicants the job.

Plus if there is time out between them graduating and starting the TC, then they can't be switched from Tier 4 to Tier 2. It has also problematic in the past that the accerlated LPC hasn't been recognised as a long enough course to switch someone from Tier 4 to Tier 2, although that might have changed (I haven't applied for any visas in a good 3 years now).
    Yes, but as far as I know, obtaining a sponsorship license is a matter of the company just applying. Note I'm not talking about restricted sponsorship (applicable to those being hired from overseas) as there is a cap on those in every given year. The rules are a bit relaxed for tier 4 -tier 2 switches. That said, it would seem to me that most companies who are going to be able to sponsor, would have already obtained their license to sponsor a while back anyway.

Good point re the time out between the LPC & TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The biggest issue was that the LPC wasn't recognised as a relevant course to be able to switch even if you didn't have time out. That might have changed more recently though.
    I believe it has .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayvonne_o)
    I believe it has .
    Surprising, as I know it is one of the reasons why the top up Masters LPC courses were offered by the likes of BPP/UoL to get round that loophole.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.