Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do you know the direction of tension (M1) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey so quick question. So i know friction is always in the opposite direction to motion but how do i know what direction tension will be going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    Hey so quick question. So i know friction is always in the opposite direction to motion but how do i know what direction tension will be going?
    Opposite direction to the weight? i mean if oyu have a weight dangling off the edge of a table then tension is going to act in the opposite direction to the weight of the object right? because the tension holds the string together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    Opposite direction to the weight? i mean if oyu have a weight dangling off the edge of a table then tension is going to act in the opposite direction to the weight of the object right? because the tension holds the string together
    Yeah i guess that applies to a smooth pulley. What about if an object is on a table and is being upwards or horizontally

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess that applies to a smooth pulley. What about if an object is on a table and is being upwards or horizontally
    i'm not quite sure i understand?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not quite sure i understand?
    So in the example above, what direction would tension be if that force applied was a string moving the block upwards

ReputationRep:

So in the example above, what direction would tension be if that force applied was a string moving the block upwards
    usually i work it out by mentally going through the method of calculation

so if tension goes down that string, you not calculating anything because you can't resolve upwards xD

so then it has to go up that string right?

i guess in a way pull on the string in the direction of that arrow on the diagram puts tension on the string in that direction

Edit:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38 <----post here because it's the official matsh forum and everyone not just me can help you

ReputationRep:
    usually i work it out by mentally going through the method of calculation

so if tension goes down that string, you not calculating anything because you can't resolve upwards xD

so then it has to go up that string right?

i guess in a way pull on the string in the direction of that arrow on the diagram puts tension on the string in that direction

Edit:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38 <----post here because it's the official matsh forum and everyone not just me can help you
    Okay i will thank you

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When you're considering forces acting on an object, which is being pulled by a rope (or something that has tension in it), then the tension will be going in the same direction as the rope.

Do you have an example you're confused on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    When you're considering forces acting on an object, which is being pulled by a rope (or something that has tension in it), then the tension will be going in the same direction as the rope.

Do you have an example you're confused on?
    so in this example for m1 the tension is towards the pulley and for m2 the tension is also towards the smooth pulley
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    so in this example for m1 the tension is towards the pulley and for m2 the tension is also towards the smooth pulley
    The first thing to understand is that tension is the same throughout the rope, and it is dependent on the weights of the two solids in the system of pulleys.

Secondly, the direction of the tension depends on which object you are considering forces on. If you consider all the forces acting on m_1, then well you have the basic weight, the reaction force, maybe the friction, but there is also tension going to the right because at the other end of the rope there a second object m_2 which is under the influence of gravity so, it creates tension in the rope which wants to drag m_1 to the right.

Then if you consider m_2, then as I said, you have the weight component, and the rope. The tension is going up here because the other end is attached to object m_1 which is resisting motion due to friction, thus adding that force upwards on m_2 to prevent it from free-falling down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    The first thing to understand is that tension is the same throughout the rope, and it is dependent on the weights of the two solids in the system of pulleys.

Secondly, the direction of the tension depends on which object you are considering forces on. If you consider all the forces acting on m_1, then well you have the basic weight, the reaction force, maybe the friction, but there is also tension going to the right because at the other end of the rope there a second object m_2 which is under the influence of gravity so, it creates tension in the rope which wants to drag m_1 to the right.

Then if you consider m_2, then as I said, you have the weight component, and the rope. The tension is going up here because the other end is attached to object m_1 which is resisting motion due to friction, thus adding that force upwards on m_2 to prevent it from free-falling down.
    ahh i see

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.