Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When my friends cry, I don't care. I just think its pathetic and wish that they would get over it. Plus I feel really awkward because I don't know what people do in those situations, when I am upset I prefer just being alone. People keep coming to me crying and it is really starting to annoy me because I just feel so uncomfortable. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    When my friends cry, I don't care. I just think its pathetic and wish that they would get over it. Plus I feel really awkward because I don't know what people do in those situations, when I am upset I prefer just being alone. People keep coming to me crying and it is really starting to annoy me because I just feel so uncomfortable. What should I do?
    Me too.. Just avoid them as much as possible. Maybe you seem like an approachable kind person

ReputationRep:
    Hug 'em.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it depend on the reason that they are crying? You could ask them about it, see if they want to talk. Maybe they are comfortable sharing their emotion with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigi77774)
    Me too.. Just avoid them as much as possible. Maybe you seem like an approachable kind person
    Yeah, they all come to me about their problems! Just as I was writing this one of them came in all upset about their issues! I offer them helpful advice so that they can get out, but this just leaves them coming back for more the next day. It makes me feel like an awful friend, not caring, but it drives me crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Doesn't it depend on the reason that they are crying? You could ask them about it, see if they want to talk. Maybe they are comfortable sharing their emotion with you?
    Yeah I usually do, and I offer them helpful advice. I understand if they come occasionally, but it's all the time now. Part of me is flattered that they trust me, but I just feel so awkward when people cry around me, and everything feels so forced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Hug 'em.
    I hate hugs, but I try. It usually ends up pretty awkward.

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't your fault. Some people are socially awkward and it isn't their fault, it just comes.I also prefer to be alone when I'm upset. Some people are more emotional and sensitive than others. Just bear in mind that you're not alone, and in the future, you may encounter sensitive people. Imagine you had a kid and they were sensitive and crying over small things? I totally understand you though when a person you hardly knows is upset and you're just there patting their back and grabbing tons of tissues...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I usually do, and I offer them helpful advice. I understand if they come occasionally, but it's all the time now. Part of me is flattered that they trust me, but I just feel so awkward when people cry around me, and everything feels so forced.
    What if you tell them you are busy with something, and arrange to talk later on rather than dealing with their problems now? I understand you want to be a good friend, but at the same time, I recognise that you need space for yourself sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I hate hugs, but I try. It usually ends up pretty awkward.
    Can be, but shows you care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_ambitious)
    It really isn't your fault. Some people are socially awkward and it isn't their fault, it just comes.I also prefer to be alone when I'm upset. Some people are more emotional and sensitive than others. Just bear in mind that you're not alone, and in the future, you may encounter sensitive people. Imagine you had a kid and they were sensitive and crying over small things? I totally understand you though when a person you hardly knows is upset and you're just there patting their back and grabbing tons of tissues...
    Thank you, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you're an emotionally dead arse who doesnt care about them, they'll never come to you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    What if you tell them you are busy with something, and arrange to talk later on rather than dealing with their problems now? I understand you want to be a good friend, but at the same time, I recognise that you need space for yourself sometimes.
    Yeah I should try that. I am awful at lying on the spot, but maybe I should memorise a bunch of good excuses to say for next time. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Tell them you're an emotionally dead arse who doesnt care about them, they'll never come to you again!
    I have honestly considered that many times, but despite me preferring to be alone, I do need friends from time to time. Even though I am a crap one.

ReputationRep:
    Owww this thread is so edgy I cut myself on it

Most likely you've never told anyone what you've written here so they have no idea you actually feel this way.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they all come to me about their problems! Just as I was writing this one of them came in all upset about their issues! I offer them helpful advice so that they can get out, but this just leaves them coming back for more the next day. It makes me feel like an awful friend, not caring, but it drives me crazy.
    Hey people like you are rare! If you can give good advice then people will just be more likely to come to you again. It doesnt make you a bad friend if you dont help but you need to be straight up if you dont want that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Owww this thread is so edgy I cut myself on it

Most likely you've never told anyone what you've written here so they have no idea you actually feel this way.
    I feel like if I say this, I'll lose them, which I don't want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigi77774)
    Hey people like you are rare! If you can give good advice then people will just be more likely to come to you again. It doesnt make you a bad friend if you dont help but you need to be straight up if you dont want that :P
    Yeah, I just have a really bad guilty conscience... I guess I will have to start being more upfront at some point though.

ReputationRep:
    Same here m8, just look'em in the eye and in a thick Southern drawl, say "What's wrong, honey? Why you cryin'?"

They won't cry no moar
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amylololol)
    Same here m8, just look'em in the eye and in a thick Southern drawl, say "What's wrong, honey? Why you cryin'?"

They won't cry no moar
    Perfect, I'll try that next time (which will probably be in 10 minutes lol)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.