The Student Room Group

National 5 English 2017/18

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WestDragon
Folios were packaged a couple of days ago here, thank goodness that's over! Other than that, English isnt going too bad currently :smile:

Good to hear it's going quite well :smile: The relief of writing the flyleaf and seeing them all go away in the big brown envelope is always good :smile: Not so good that it is replaced by the proximity of exams though, mind you.
Reply 21
Is it typical for schools to wait so long before finishing folios? My class were done before October but everyone here seemed to have to wait.
Original post by MLM99
Is it typical for schools to wait so long before finishing folios? My class were done before October but everyone here seemed to have to wait.

October is very early to have finished, but it gets them out of the way, which isn't a bad idea :smile: National 5 coursework is being collected from schools by the couriers next week, so everyone should be done by now :smile: But, yeah, a lot of students in a lot of schools leave it quite last minute
Original post by Labrador99
a lot of schools leave it quite last minute

Yep tell me about it. My computing teacher only starting doing the assignment last thursday and the majority of my class still haven't finished it. We only have one period in class to do it before it's to be sent away and we're all freaking out a bit.
Original post by A1renegade
Yep tell me about it. My computing teacher only starting doing the assignment last thursday and the majority of my class still haven't finished it. We only have one period in class to do it before it's to be sent away and we're all freaking out a bit.

:eek: That's not ideal at all :no: Hope you can do enough to get the mark you want :redface:
Original post by Labrador99
:eek: That's not ideal at all :no: Hope you can do enough to get the mark you want :redface:

Thankfully I've already finished, but the majority of my class haven't. We would've started a week earlier but we couldn't cause of the snow days so lots of people are going to have to stay after school to get it done.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A1renegade
Thankfully I've already finished, but the majority of my class haven't. We would've started a week earlier but we couldn't cause of the snow days so lots of people are going to have to stay after school to get it done.

That's good you've managed to finish regardless :smile: Not so good for the rest of the class though- the snow was an absolute nightmare!
Our folios are away too!!! I can only hope can't I. My teacher seemed quite positive so... it might be ok huh.

Is anyone else studying Shakespeare? We've started reading the Macbeth play and I'm not sure whether I like it or not... we've not got any notes at all yet so hopefully will be getting those soon. I just can't imagine writing an essay on it :wink:
How is everyone revising? I am REALLY struggling learning the play and understanding how to analyse it.
Hey, does anyone have any useful tips on how to answer the evaluation questions, is there a format or? I'm a little bit confused about this...
Reply 30
Anyone got any good revision resources
Original post by Zobo123
Anyone got any good revision resources

For your set text if you go invite youtube and search the poem/play you’ve done and analysis, there will be videos of people discussing all the points.
Is anyone studying carol Ann Duffy poems? And if yes then what poems are u doing
Nope i’m doing Norman McCaig
Original post by Ayaa929
Is anyone studying carol Ann Duffy poems? And if yes then what poems are u doing

Originally, War Photographer, Havisham, Mrs Midas, Valentine and Anne Hathaway.

I take it you're doing the same ones, as they'll be the ones that show up on the Textual Analysis paper?
We started n5 this week and we are doing the exam next year and we are doing the same poem except from havisham and Anne Hathaway they brought 2 new poems in and removed havisham and Anne Hathaway
Original post by CurseYouSQA

I take it you're doing the same ones, as they'll be the ones that show up on the Textual Analysis paper?

Right now we are annotating original
Original post by CurseYouSQA

And also right now we are annotating originally
I've noticed that other schools study numerous poems and then only one shows up. Do you do the timed essay as well on prose/poetry/drama? I don't do multiple poems, I've only done Blackberry Picking by Seamus Heaney - it seems much easier than doing multiple poems, why doesn't everyone only do one?
Original post by abigail-ww
I've noticed that other schools study numerous poems and then only one shows up. Do you do the timed essay as well on prose/poetry/drama? I don't do multiple poems, I've only done Blackberry Picking by Seamus Heaney - it seems much easier than doing multiple poems, why doesn't everyone only do one?

If you are studying multiple poems (6 in total by the same poet), it's for the Scottish text section, where one will be printed in full in the final exam, and you will answer questions on it worth 12 marks, before the 8 marker where you need to compare the given poem to other you have studied.
Otherwise (like you are), you are studying one poem for the critical essay

Each candidate has to be studying a different type of literature for each section (i.e. you can't do a novel for Scottish text and another for the essay)
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you are getting confused between Scottish Text and the Critical Essay. If you are studying poetry for your Scottish Text, you will study six different poems. However, if you are doing poetry for your Critical Essay I believe you will only study one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending