Turn on thread page Beta

Living costs loan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So, hypothetically, lets say I got my tuition fees paid for by the UK government. That's all and well, but where do I get the other 7,000-11,000 £ annually for living costs? (I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan as far as I know since I've never even been to the UK). Are there banks or companies who loan you money for living costs? And if they exist, are they a bad, terrible or life-ending idea?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Ksisa)
    Hello,

So, hypothetically, lets say I got my tuition fees paid for by the UK government. That's all and well, but where do I get the other 7,000-11,000 £ annually for living costs? (I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan as far as I know since I've never even been to the UK). Are there banks or companies who loan you money for living costs? And if they exist, are they a bad, terrible or life-ending idea?
    Private loans for that amount are very difficult to get in the uk as a student, let alone as an international student i wouldnt rely on the idea of getting any loans.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ksisa)
    Hello,

Is there anything from your own country? Working part time (most unis would recommend up to 16 hours per week) during term time wouldn't be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Is there anything from your own country? Working part time (most unis would recommend up to 16 hours per week) during term time wouldn't be enough.
    Well if it's hard for UK students to get a loan in the UK, I really doubt my country would lend me money to go study abroad...

Well my family can't afford my living expenses, plus, I want to study physics, therefore I probably won't have much time for a job. So is there anything I can do then, to study in the UK? Or is it a lost cause?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ksisa)

Well my family can't afford my living expenses, plus, I want to study physics, therefore I probably won't have much time for a job. So is there anything I can do then, to study in the UK? Or is it a lost cause?
    Not that I know of.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.