Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Say if you had a mental health condition, would this affect your choice of going to university?

With a new BBC documentary released recently this has highlighted some risks that may arise depending upon a persons condition. (E.g. Depression)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have wasted my time, effort, and money.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, did you graduate or drop out?

How was your university journey?

ReputationRep:
    Can't speak for mental health but I have a condition that disables me from going to a conventional university. It has influenced the actual institution but not the choice of pursuing higher education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    if I could go back in time, I would have never gone to university.

absolute waste of time, waste of 4 years plus I did the wrong degree

as I suffer from a mental disorder , I thought about writing a list of reasons of why I deserve to die and I might have died .
    How did you cope with the stresses of uni life?

What course did you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piña colada)
    Can't speak for mental health but I have a condition that disables me from going to a conventional university. It has influenced the actual institution but not the choice of pursuing higher education.
    Did you find that your uni of choice was supportive of your needs? Or did you find it a constant struggle for help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddy9280)
    If you don't mind me asking, did you graduate or drop out?

How was your university journey?
    I don't know if you're asking me or study_beats, but I'll answer.

I graduated with a *****y 2:2, I was capable of so much more. My "journey" was pure hell, I hated everything about it. I developed pretty severe depression and got bullied by other students, I could barely eat or shower not to mention actually focus on the course and doing the work. I made no friends, got into thousands of pounds of debt and following a slight miscalculation spent the 10 days leading up to my final year exams in a psychiatric hospital. Needless to say I didn't perform great on those exams.

I wish I'd never gone.

ReputationRep:
    What’s this documentary called please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

I graduated with a *****y 2:2, I was capable of so much more. My "journey" was pure hell, I hated everything about it. I developed pretty severe depression and got bullied by other students, I could barely eat or shower not to mention actually focus on the course and doing the work. I made no friends, got into thousands of pounds of debt and following a slight miscalculation spent the 10 days leading up to my final year exams in a psychiatric hospital. Needless to say I didn't perform great on those exams.

I wish I'd never gone.
    Oh yeah I was replying to you, I'm new on here and did it wrong 😬.

Thankyou for your insight. What course did you study?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I was replying to you, I'm new on here and did it wrong 😬.

Thankyou for your insight. What course did you study?
    Why? You can PM me and I'll tell you but I'd prefer not to say on a public board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulatedM)
    What’s this documentary called please?
    Death on Campus: our stories

On BBC Iplayer currently.

ReputationRep:
    why was my post removed

removed for telling the truth

that I was about to die at university

screw you all for abusing such a sensitive situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    why was my post removed

removed for telling the truth

that I was about to die at university

screw you all for abusing such a sensitive situation
    I'm not sure why it was removed either...sometimes the truth is what is needed !!!

ReputationRep:
    Say if you had a mental health condition, would this affect your choice of going to university?

With a new BBC documentary released recently this has highlighted some risks that may arise depending upon a persons condition. (E.g. Depression)
    No mental health person should dare going to university. I only went to uni to escape because my family didn't accept my disorder and depression. Also i was in my 20s (still am) and i felt maybe living 'the uni life' could cure my poor social skills.

I regret uni so much. Every university in Britain is useless in Mental Health. I'm dying by having no friends and i just don't blend in with 18/19 years olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet Benin)
    No mental health person should dare going to university. I only went to uni to escape because my family didn't accept my disorder and depression. Also i was in my 20s (still am) and i felt maybe living 'the uni life' could cure my poor social skills.

I regret uni so much. Every university in Britain is useless in Mental Health. I'm dying by having no friends and i just don't blend in with 18/19 years olds.
    My parents seem to pretend to forget about mine, do you find yours do the same? Like they never ever talk about anything to do with it...like it doesn't exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

I wish I'd never gone.
    I hated my time at university, college and school I was bullied by other students and sometime teachers. I have mild cerebral palsy which give immature speech and movement, severe dyslexia, dyspraxia and severe depression. I got 2.2 was mocked by other students for living on a council estate and when I got support in my exams they said my exam support was doing my work for me. I left with no friends and a degree which i could do nothing with.

The worst thing was my family keep telling that I should be having amazing time and going out every night clubbing. My A typical sister did not go university or past any exams not even GCSEs. But she was the normal child not a weird special needs child who was 20 miles to school every day I never when a day without being told how weird difficult I was

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.