Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-level choices dilemma Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title states, I need some help with my A-level choices. I know for certain that I want to take Maths, Further Maths, and Physics; as I want to apply to Cambridge to study Computer Science, and they prefer candidates to have these subjects.

However, for my 4th A-level, I'm undecided between Computing and Spanish. Cambridge say that the first year of Comp Sci largely repeats the content of Computing at A-level, so they don't really require it. Also, I think it would be valuable to study a subject that is not related to maths or science, especially a foreign language such as Spanish. However, I feel like taking Computing would be valuable as it would allow me to show my passion for Computer Science more easily (i.e. access to prefect roles, extending my knowledge about the subject, etc.

Also, grades shouldn't be an issue as I'm predicted an 8 in Physics, Computing, and Spanish, and a 9 in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a1phabeta)
    As the title states, I need some help with my A-level choices. I know for certain that I want to take Maths, Further Maths, and Physics; as I want to apply to Cambridge to study Computer Science, and they prefer candidates to have these subjects.

However, for my 4th A-level, I'm undecided between Computing and Spanish. Cambridge say that the first year of Comp Sci largely repeats the content of Computing at A-level, so they don't really require it. Also, I think it would be valuable to study a subject that is not related to maths or science, especially a foreign language such as Spanish. However, I feel like taking Computing would be valuable as it would allow me to show my passion for Computer Science more easily (i.e. access to prefect roles, extending my knowledge about the subject, etc.

Also, grades shouldn't be an issue as I'm predicted an 8 in Physics, Computing, and Spanish, and a 9 in Maths.

If you don't need to do 4 a levels, I wouldn't as the work load would be too much, also because maths is difficult and there's lots to do (personal experience) and I've heard physics is difficult too.
    Have you been on a taster day yet to experience these subjects as I would strongly advise you to do as you don't want to get to the end of year 13 with subjects you hate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a1phabeta)

Hey

I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics at the moment and honestly, if you can just do these three subjects then I would recommend it. They are tough subjects and they'll require a lot of time to achieve highly in. Doing three subjects as opposed to 4 may also benefit you as there's less risk of you spreading yourself too thinly - you're more likely to get better grades across all subjects if you only do 3 rather than trying to juggle 4 and risking not doing quite as well in them. Another benefit to doing this is that you'll have more time to do computing related stuff in your free time - this, on a personal statement, would be very attractive to universities as it's an interest that you dedicate time to outside of your A Level studies.

If you have to choose a fourth, I would suggest Comp Sci, mainly for relevance and also I know from friends that language A Levels require a LOT of time and work to do well, and they're typically harder to achieve high grades in because of the proportion of native speakers that sit these exams.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.