Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's wise to come out as non binary and pansexual before my gcses? I'm ready and i want people to know, but if people dont accept me i dont want to be miserable through my gcse year and prom. Advice and opinions? :]
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't- what's the rush? But if you're ready and want people to know so you can feel yourself then go for it. I'm totally in the closet though and have been for years so maybe I'm not the best to ask lol

ReputationRep:
    wtf is non binary and pansexual

ReputationRep:
    yeah i guess so. My family know and a couple of close friends but i dont really like holding things in. I will probs do it in collage! Sorry to hear you're in the closet, do you think people will be accepting of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    wtf is non binary and pansexual
    non binary: not identifying as a male or female
    pansexual: able to be attracted to all genders and sex.
    Youre better off googling it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8Hollee)
    yeah i guess so. My family know and a couple of close friends but i dont really like holding things in. I will probs do it in collage! Sorry to hear you're in the closet, do you think people will be accepting of you?
    Well.if you're already out privately then it doesn't really matter about school imo. If I were you just be honest if someone asks but no one else really needs to kmow. I have a weird situation where I kmow everyone would be accepting and supportive I just choose not to. It's my private life and I just don't choose to tell most people. Some friends know and family will do soon.

ReputationRep:
    non binary: not identifying as a male or female
    pansexual: able to be attracted to all genders and sex.
    Youre better off googling it!
    how tf can you not identify as a male or female

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's wise to come out as non binary and pansexual before my gcses? I'm ready and i want people to know, but if people dont accept me i dont want to be miserable through my gcse year and prom. Advice and opinions? :]
    It can be easier coming out to a few people to start with - namely those who are most supportive- as they can help if others are less than supportive.
    This is especially the case with coming out as non binary if you want to change your name or pronouns. As it can be demoralising to be misgendered even though you can’t blame people if they don’t know.
    Do be careful though as it’s not worth the stress of your family being unsupportive just yet.
    You don’t need to be out to be you.

Good luck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    I came out in year 11 as a lesbian. It went fine for me. Nobody really cared, and not in a mean way. Just because its extremely trivial. It's literally no rush at all.

ReputationRep:
    I came out as gay in year 10 and most 90% of people didn’t care 10% of people were homo

ReputationRep:
    Come out after prom, in the year above there was some non-binary guy who got abused and bullied savagely. I think they wanted to make him both Prom King and Queen as a joke, idk if they were successful. Do what you think is best, but think logically rather than with your emotions-sadly our emotions can either lead us to a better solution, or a more worse situation. Mostly depends on your school and reputation-lots of people in my grammar school are quite stuck up, but I do know some gay guys that are really quiet/introverted and so were kinda ignored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    I came out as gay in year 10 and most 90% of people didn’t care 10% of people were homo
    Homophobic and talked about me behind my back. But I eventually didn’t care because I ended up succeeding while they failed school and I’m a strong person. At the end of the day you need to consider whether you will think you’ll be alright to come out. Only you know deep down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snoozinghamster)
    It can be easier coming out to a few people to start with - namely those who are most supportive- as they can help if others are less than supportive.
    This is especially the case with coming out as non binary if you want to change your name or pronouns. As it can be demoralising to be misgendered even though you can’t blame people if they don’t know.
    Do be careful though as it’s not worth the stress of your family being unsupportive just yet.
    You don’t need to be out to be you.

Good luck whatever you decide
    Thanks for your support and i completley agree. i think it is going to be more of a journey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    Homophobic and talked about me behind my back. But I eventually didn’t care because I ended up succeeding while they failed school and I’m a strong person. At the end of the day you need to consider whether you will think you’ll be alright to come out. Only you know deep down
    Sorry to hear that but its really good that youre so strong, i fear that i might be too sensitive!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Come out after prom, in the year above there was some non-binary guy who got abused and bullied savagely. I think they wanted to make him both Prom King and Queen as a joke, idk if they were successful. Do what you think is best, but think logically rather than with your emotions-sadly our emotions can either lead us to a better solution, or a more worse situation. Mostly depends on your school and reputation-lots of people in my grammar school are quite stuck up, but I do know some gay guys that are really quiet/introverted and so were kinda ignored
    Yeah im scared of this, and will probably just tell some more friends until afterwards. I might do something for pansexual pride tho?!??!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that but its really good that youre so strong, i fear that i might be too sensitive!!
    Thanks! If I were you I would start of telling a couple of friends you trust (if you haven’t already) then as more friends accept you for who you are it will boost your confidence massively (hopefully!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    how tf can you not identify as a male or female
    get into the fluidity of gender my friend. If youre actually interested in the topic then i would google around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wysterialane)
    Well.if you're already out privately then it doesn't really matter about school imo. If I were you just be honest if someone asks but no one else really needs to kmow. I have a weird situation where I kmow everyone would be accepting and supportive I just choose not to. It's my private life and I just don't choose to tell most people. Some friends know and family will do soon.
    thats fair enough and it is absolutley your choice!!

ReputationRep:
    Go ahead! Don't be scared! It's your choice. I would say do what you think is best and most importantly you shouldn't care about what others have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonicaD)
    Go ahead! Don't be scared! It's your choice. I would say do what you think is best and most importantly you shouldn't care about what others have to say.
    Aw thankyou, i think it would make me happier if i was out but i think its going to be a gradual process!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.