Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coming out in year 11? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8Hollee)
    Do you think it's wise to come out as non binary and pansexual before my gcses? I'm ready and i want people to know, but if people dont accept me i dont want to be miserable through my gcse year and prom. Advice and opinions? :]
    My advice. DON'T!!!! I decided to come out when year 11 finished and it was one of the few best decisions I made at that age, honest to christ you will get butchered and crucified if you do so now. I know how cruel that sounds but it's year 11 and a lot of people in that year still haven't experienced the real world and will still have childish mindsets and very disgusting ways of thinking that they haven't yet grown out of.

Trust me on this one please for you're own safety and mental wellbeing don't! People are a lot more accepting and free thinking in college and sixth form because it's seen as a step up from the childishness of secondary school. Please message me if you're even still considering doing this whilst you're still in year 11 because I really don't think you should just simply based upon what happened to someone in my year who did. Take care and look out for yourself, big love OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    My advice. DON'T!!!! I decided to come out when year 11 finished and it was one of the few best decisions I made at that age, honest to christ you will get butchered and crucified if you do so now. I know how cruel that sounds but it's year 11 and a lot of people in that year still haven't experienced the real world and will still have childish mindsets and very disgusting ways of thinking that they haven't yet grown out of.

Trust me on this one please for you're own safety and mental wellbeing don't! People are a lot more accepting and free thinking in college and sixth form because it's seen as a step up from the childishness of secondary school. Please message me if you're even still considering doing this whilst you're still in year 11 because I really don't think you should just simply based upon what happened to someone in my year who did. Take care and look out for yourself, big love OP.
    Yeah, and i know from slight experience that people arent always accepting. My only issue is i want to use gender neutral pronouns and so i cant at the moment. its becoming all a bit much!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Going to echo what some people here have already said- I came out at the end of my GCSEs, literally the day before my final set of exams, and I was very glad of it. Meant that I could do my GCSEs with a clear mind, and go into the summer holidays with a weight off my shoulders.

I don't know where you're from, but I'm from the rural East Midlands and people here aren't hugely tolerant towards nonbinary people. Coming out as pansexual will be slightly easier, seeing as most people grasp the concept of fluid sexuality these days, but unfortunately getting people to use they/them pronouns may be a struggle... No matter what you end up doing, be sure to surround yourself with positive and supportive people. You're clearly very brave and strong willed, so I'm sure it'll all be fine in the end. 💕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    Thanks! If I were you I would start of telling a couple of friends you trust (if you haven’t already) then as more friends accept you for who you are it will boost your confidence massively (hopefully!)
    Yeah thanks, its really helped telling mu family and so i might tell a few more people who will be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody gives a flying **** :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's wise to come out as non binary and pansexual before my gcses?
    you're attracted to pans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli116)
    Going to echo what some people here have already said- I came out at the end of my GCSEs, literally the day before my final set of exams, and I was very glad of it. Meant that I could do my GCSEs with a clear mind, and go into the summer holidays with a weight off my shoulders.

I don't know where you're from, but I'm from the rural East Midlands and people here aren't hugely tolerant towards nonbinary people. Coming out as pansexual will be slightly easier, seeing as most people grasp the concept of fluid sexuality these days, but unfortunately getting people to use they/them pronouns may be a struggle... No matter what you end up doing, be sure to surround yourself with positive and supportive people. You're clearly very brave and strong willed, so I'm sure it'll all be fine in the end. 💕
    Thank you!! i really appriciate the support. People arent that tolerant of gender here either so maybe i will come out as pansexual this year, and non binary next year? <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    you're attracted to pans?
    hahaha, my favorite joke.
    NO.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! i really appriciate the support. People arent that tolerant of gender here either so maybe i will come out as pansexual this year, and non binary next year? <3
    That's a good shout! I assume you'll be going on to college/sixth form next year, people in sixth form tend to be a hell of a lot more mature than they were in year 11, particularly boys. At the very least, they'll be too busy with A levels to give a **** haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli116)
    That's a good shout! I assume you'll be going on to college/sixth form next year, people in sixth form tend to be a hell of a lot more mature than they were in year 11, particularly boys. At the very least, they'll be too busy with A levels to give a **** haha.
    Haha yea that will probably be better for me!!! Thankyou!! <3

ReputationRep:
    i would say if you think people aren't gonna accept it maybe concentrate on exams and getting through this year especially since the gcses have become harder. The extra stress wont be helpful. however on the other hand, coming out to close friends or people you trust and know will accept you could make u feel better and if its something you want to get off your chest that will help with that.

I came out officially in year 8 as bisexual ( I'm in year 11 atm) and at first a lot of people weren't accepting but they got over it and since then I've been through days or weeks where i still question if im bi or just a lesbian but also found that I'm not bothered by labels any more and I've stopped defining myself by a label but thats not the case for you i dont think.

good luck anyways for when you do

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's wise to come out as non binary and pansexual before my gcses? I'm ready and i want people to know, but if people dont accept me i dont want to be miserable through my gcse year and prom. Advice and opinions? :]
    If your school is very homophobic I would say it's a no go. I waited until Year 12. I almost came out in Year 10/11, but I wussed out.

I came out one by one, first only telling one friend. From telling that one friend, it gave me confidence to tell another. By the end of the year all my friends knew, and I felt happy to freely be as gay as possible!

It's definitely a huge confidence and happiness boost, and at sixth form it was a lot different and people were perfectly accepting. But I don't regret not doing it earlier - as I would have only been bullied more I feel and would have been more miserable at secondary than I already had been.

But that's just my personal experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.