Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I last Saturday I attended my interview for a Christmas Temp at House of Fraser they phoned me up later that day offering me an 8 hour contract and said they hope to be able to extend it after Christmas !! Next weekend I have my induction and was told to bring a reference, my CV (for some reason the store didn't receive it), my passport and bank details. Somebody who works for a concession in the same store mentioned that they needed 2 references and at present I only have one. I was wondering if anyone knows how many references I will require and also what the pay per hour is for a 16 year old?

ReputationRep:
    If someone who works in the same store has suggested that you will need two references, chances are you will. I would advise you to get another, as worst case scenario you will have an extra reference that will be a further credit to you. You can get another reference from a teacher from school. For the minimum pay per hour I would go on the government website to find it. As to what you will actually get paid, you should be told in your interview but I would not directly ask as it could come across as rude.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an accessment centre tomorrow morning, as was wondering if you've got any advice? What can i expect from the assessment centre. And how do i prepare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannit2)
    Hi,

I have an accessment centre tomorrow morning, as was wondering if you've got any advice? What can i expect from the assessment centre. And how do i prepare
    Hi don't worry the assessors were really nice at my store and made the whole experience very pleasant!! The first task is an ice-breaker activity where you get given a card with a celebrity and a random object on then you have to tell your group a story about it, just try to be creative! Mine was madonna and a football and it ended in her getting knocked out!! The second task is trying to find out what products to sell the customer this is a group task with some of the other candidates, my advice is to speak your thoughts, try to ask the customer one question but work with the others in your group and before the customer begins try to discuss a strategy!! Don't ask the customer about price though instead ask about a product to see if they are comfortable with the price and if they are not then you know that its over their budget thats what the manager said to do!! Then there is a 1-1 interview where they ask you 3 questions out of the 9 in-front of them mine were: Tell me about a time that you have made a compromise? Tell me about a time that you have had to meet a target? and tell me about a time that you have had to improve something? my advice would be to look on glassdoor and find all the interview questions then think up examples that you could use this is what I did and it was really beneficial as I did not have to rack my brains on the spot!! Good luck I hope you get the job!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnaSaid)
    If someone who works in the same store has suggested that you will need two references, chances are you will. I would advise you to get another, as worst case scenario you will have an extra reference that will be a further credit to you. You can get another reference from a teacher from school. For the minimum pay per hour I would go on the government website to find it. As to what you will actually get paid, you should be told in your interview but I would not directly ask as it could come across as rude.
    Thank you for your advice!! They do not actually work for House of Fraser they work for Dune located in the store, my first reference is my form tutor but I am unsure of who else to ask, I may go and ask my tutor from last year!! I already had my interview and did not ask because as you said I didn't want to seem rude. Hopefully it should be in the contract!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it went well to me. You should definitely be told about pay before you commit to anything, so no need to worry there. I'm sure your previous tutor will be more than happy to provide you with a second reference if you still need one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flippingforever)
    Hi don't worry the assessors were really nice at my store and made the whole experience very pleasant!! The first task is an ice-breaker activity where you get given a card with a celebrity and a random object on then you have to tell your group a story about it, just try to be creative! Mine was madonna and a football and it ended in her getting knocked out!! The second task is trying to find out what products to sell the customer this is a group task with some of the other candidates, my advice is to speak your thoughts, try to ask the customer one question but work with the others in your group and before the customer begins try to discuss a strategy!! Don't ask the customer about price though instead ask about a product to see if they are comfortable with the price and if they are not then you know that its over their budget thats what the manager said to do!! Then there is a 1-1 interview where they ask you 3 questions out of the 9 in-front of them mine were: Tell me about a time that you have made a compromise? Tell me about a time that you have had to meet a target? and tell me about a time that you have had to improve something? my advice would be to look on glassdoor and find all the interview questions then think up examples that you could use this is what I did and it was really beneficial as I did not have to rack my brains on the spot!! Good luck I hope you get the job!!
    Hi. Omg, my assessment was exactly as you've described - Same Same 3 activities. You wouldn't have happened to be interviewed at the store in Belfast would you? lol.

Anyhow, got the job - FT contract. But yeah, it was as you said, pretty relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    In regards to the pay, you can ask them now, that they've given you the job. I was like you, and didn't ask about how much i'd be getting paid during the interview. In fact i asked her, when they'd called me back, to tell me i've got the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.