Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would i be able to handle physics a level if i get these grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello so i'm thinking about doing maths or computer science for a degree and i heard that physics a level would help my application chances for them vastly however i'm unsure if i'm good enough for physics a level.

Basically i'm quite average with my sciences
    Except for physics which i'm decent at. Basically my teacher predicts that i will get a 6 or a 7 for gcse physics. But are those grades good enough? ( i have seen many forums saying physics a level is very hard)
    I'm not worried about my mathematical capability as i predict i will get 7 or maybe a 8 if i'm lucky for gcse maths. I want hear honest opinions about this matter. (Even if it's harsh)

For those curious, i'm thinking about doing for a level
    Maths
    Physics
    Computer science and
    Japanese

ReputationRep:
    The jump from GCSE to A-Level is about the same as the jump to GCSE from whatever you were doing before. People always overstate how big the jump is. The only difference is that you might have to spend a little bit longer to understand the content but once you’ve done that it will feel about as hard as the GCSE.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WAAALUIGI)
    Hello so i'm thinking about doing maths or computer science for a degree and i heard that physics a level would help my application chances for them vastly however i'm unsure if i'm good enough for physics a level.

Except for physics which i'm decent at. Basically my teacher predicts that i will get a 6 or a 7 for gcse physics. But are those grades good enough? ( i have seen many forums saying physics a level is very hard)
    I'm not worried about my mathematical capability as i predict i will get 7 or maybe a 8 if i'm lucky for gcse maths. I want hear honest opinions about this matter. (Even if it's harsh)

Maths
    Physics
    Computer science and
    Japanese
    With new specifications the jump is a lot less severe than the jump for previous cohorts who were on the old gcse specifications, so as long as u have a good understanding of gcse physics as well as a desire to do well in physics u will succeed in physics.

Maths will help a lot especially the mechanics. Dont be put off by other peoples opinions. Form ur own.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you work hard and you like it then go for it. If you want to do a maths degree then physics may be useful since you're not doing further maths.

Physics is a lot of application, especially the new A levels (for which I am the second cohort to do it this year). Year 12/AS physics was pretty easy (we did AQA) but you still need to work hard that year to get that A* prediction.

I would, if I were you, just take a look at a textbook or the syllabus to see if you're interested like you would do when looking at uni courses. I mean, we don't do any astrophysics like people think we do, it's an optional module for year 13 but our school chose medical physics. As long as you can get whatever is equivalent to an A or A* in your new GCSEs, you should do fine. My friend only got an A in physics GCSE but she's doing fine, better than some people who got A*, it's literally down to personal effort. Of course it's challenging, but so are many other A levels. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    you might stuggle with a 6. A 7 would be fine. Practice and revise a lot and see if you can get an 8

ReputationRep:
    If you're sure on doing a maths degree, I'd urge you to take further maths, perhaps replacing it with Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WAAALUIGI)

Maths
    Physics
    Computer science and
    Japanese
    It's probably feasible. I'm a year 12 student doing physics, and the first few weeks for me was GCSE recap (standard form, a bit of Hooke's Law, basics on waves). By the time you do the new stuff, you'll be nicely settled in.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to lie, the sciences are a very big jump from GCSE. I can't speak for Physics, but it tends to be put similarly to Chemistry and from my experience I definitely wouldn't do it unless you get a 7/8/9 in that science as well as maths (maths not as important for bio).

Most people in Chemistry who got A grades at GCSE are really falling in grades, as well as lots of A* students. Of course, it all comes down to effort, but it would be really be difficult if you can't secure a 7/8/9 grade at GCSE. My advice would be to really work at Physics, and ideally try and get to a Grade 8 or Grade 9. I know it sounds harsh, but it is such a challenging course that you really need to excel in to succeed! But with hard work and enthusiasm you should be able to get there Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    ghdgfhdfghdfgh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.