Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I being annoying or is it the right thing to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So basically I went for a job interview last month after this organisation literally called me up within days of me sending off my C.V to them. When I received the initial phone call for the interview I was obviously very enthusiastic! The HR contact said that they would email me some details surrounding the interview on the same day - which they did.

However, this is when things went haywire. On the email it said something like meeting with X at 10 A.M. I then received another email very very late at night asking if I could make it in the afternoon. At the time I obviously did not check my email as I was asleep and preparing for the interview for the next day. Anyways, I turned up for the interview at the initial time only to find that I had been sent the email very late the night before. So I killed time until the interview. After the day, the HR contact told me that I would hear from them either way a week after the interview. After 3 weeks, I chased them up and they promised to call me up the following day which they didn't. Now, I've literally contacted another HR contact and they have promised to look into it.

Now, was the right thing to do? I've never had to beg someone so many times in my life

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Companies just like to string people on because there's a possibility another candidate might take the job. My dad has dealt with this, but the other way around. He hires a placement student every year, and this year the man they offered the job to took weeks to accept the offer, because he was waiting on another job. The company could be waiting on another candidate. But, you don't know the answer if you don't ask. Just be polite about it and keep asking. You need to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Absolutely. Companies just like to string people on because there's a possibility another candidate might take the job. My dad has dealt with this, but the other way around. He hires a placement student every year, and this year the man they offered the job to took weeks to accept the offer, because he was waiting on another job. The company could be waiting on another candidate. But, you don't know the answer if you don't ask. Just be polite about it and keep asking. You need to know.
    Thanks for the response mate.

Yeah, it is a really tough market out there for young graduates such as myself. I'm willing to take any reasonable job my way - when I mean reasonable I mean something related to Computing. Pay no longer plays a factor, only experience does. I know that if I start working then I won't be depressed and be more satisfied and appreciative of my life.

Yeah I hate it when companies take so long to get back to candidates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.