Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What’s wrong with my rabbits?! Watch

Announcements

Hi, please give advice it would mean the world to me I’m very concerned... thanku x...

I bought two mini lop bunnies (8 weeks old) just over 2 months ago.. I’ve had bunnies in the past and they have all come round to me within the first month, but with these two bunnies, they are scared of everything? I don’t understand why? I’ve been very nice to them, it’s like they have gone through some sort of abuse or have mental health problems like being interbred?

I go to them to change their food, water, bedding, and other necessities and they just run away or go to bite me all the time. When I have the out, they don’t even come near me, or want to sniff or investigate, and they run away when I slowly approach them as I don’t want to scare them. I want them to feel at home and reassured that I want to look after them to make sure they have a lovely life with me and my family..

I feel that at this point they aren’t going to come round.

Ik that rabbits don’t speak English lol, but they will bite things they shouldn’t be biting, and we call their names to come away to warn them but don’t listen, I’m at that point where I have to just lightly nudge them away from the object otherwise they won’t stop.

I don’t understand what’s up with them? I’ve never experienced anything like this with rabbits?! All of my previous rabbits have lived long livening life’s, and have at least come up for a sniff and a stroke, but these don’t want to be stroked or anything??

What am I doing wrong? Have they got mental health problems?? What do I do? Help?! Please any advice would be the best in the world right now I’m very concerned!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. Ask a vet, I guess.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can't say for sure but it sounds like they weren't handled much (or at all!) before you got them. If they aren't used to human interaction (which is especially important when they're babies) they're going to be frightened, you're scary to them! It won't be anything you've done. Sometimes pets can be difficult to win over. And to be honest, rabbits aren't generally the friendliest of pets in my experience and whilst they do like attention sometimes, they don't necessarily enjoy it as much as a dog would for example.

All you can really do is try your best to get them used to being handled. Perhaps draw them to you with a treat, let them associate you with something positive. I know it's hard if they run away from you, but keep persevering and pick them up. They probably won't enjoy it at first but eventually you might find they calm down a little more each time.

I'm no expert as you can tell, but this is just a bit of advice. Don't worry

(Original post by Changing Skies)
    I can't say for sure but it sounds like they weren't handled much (or at all!) before you got them. If they aren't used to human interaction (which is especially important when they're babies) they're going to be frightened, you're scary to them! It won't be anything you've done. Sometimes pets can be difficult to win over. And to be honest, rabbits aren't generally the friendliest of pets in my experience and whilst they do like attention sometimes, they don't necessarily enjoy it as much as a dog would for example.

All you can really do is try your best to get them used to being handled. Perhaps draw them to you with a treat, let them associate you with something positive. I know it's hard if they run away from you, but keep persevering and pick them up. They probably won't enjoy it at first but eventually you might find they calm down a little more each time.

I'm no expert as you can tell, but this is just a bit of advice. Don't worry
    Thank you for the reply anyway!😊

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I dunno. Ask a vet, I guess.
    Thanks, I am going to try and get my bunnies booked in, I just want to make sure that they have a lovely living life with me and my family 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.