The Student Room Group

Somali immigrant Mo Farah knighted

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2017/nov/14/its-been-incredible-says-sir-mo-farah-on-receiving-knighthood-from-queen-video

British distance runner Mo Farah has received a knighthood from the Queen at Buckingham Palace today for his services to athletics.

The four-time Olympic champion, who came to the UK from Somalia as a child, had been named on the 2017 New Years Honours list. Sir Mo called time on his track career at the end of this summer and will now be moving back to London to focus on running road marathons instead.

Sir Mo said: "I'm so happy to be awarded this incredible honour from the country that has been my home since I moved here at the age of eight." With his four gold medals, Sir Mo is the most successful British track athlete in the modern history of the Olympic games.

Scroll to see replies

Sir Mo is an inspiration to the immigrant community.
Truly deserves it
Original post by the bear
Sir Mo is an inspiration to the immigrant community.

He is an example of what some immigrants can achieve if they're given the opportunities we all take for granted.
David Beckham must be well annoyed.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
He is an example of what some immigrants can achieve if they're given the opportunities we all take for granted.

What opportunities was he granted which ordinarily immigrants are not given?
😐 for running? Should knight people for being geniuses or something instead 😂 I wanna be knighted
Original post by Salt Queen
😐 for running? Should knight people for being geniuses or something instead 😂 I wanna be knighted

olny mandem can be in the knight hood innit
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
What opportunities was he granted which ordinarily immigrants are not given?

A country to grow up and train in that isn't effective by massive malnourishment, terrorist militias and weekly suicide bombings.
He deserved to be knighted purely on his performance in the Quorn adverts. Truly a man of many talents.
He is a shining beacon of slimitude.

I hate to be the one but: Don't I as a woman get anything for being amazing??? Is that the Dame thing?...

Stop speaking like a roadmap omg 😑

*lol roadmap was auto correct for "roadman"
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
A country to grow up and train in that isn't effective by massive malnourishment, terrorist militias and weekly suicide bombings.

It seemed like you were talking about immigrant treatment inside the UK. I was going to say he was not treated that differently to other immigrants in this country.

I would apologise for misunderstanding, but it was your poor expression which caused it.

LOOOOOL ffs mandem in the hood cant be knighted and dat cos wer too busy chinging up next man who arent from ends come on brudah ur slacking:colonhash:
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
It seemed like you were talking about immigrant treatment inside the UK. I was going to say he was not treated that differently to other immigrants in this country.

I would apologise for misunderstanding, but it was your poor expression which caused it.

Not at all, you read too much into what I wrote :wink:
Original post by IPFromTheEast
LOOOOOL ffs mandem in the hood cant be knighted and dat cos wer too busy chinging up next man who arent from ends come on brudah ur slacking:colonhash:

...this is why young black and brown men need better examples than a marathon runner :colonhash: not. Happy.
Well deserved.
Original post by IPFromTheEast

u gassed gem; Sir Fara be genuwing ghetto breh
Original post by Salt Queen
...this is why young black and brown men need better examples than a marathon runner :colonhash: not. Happy.

He is still an inspiration . The qualities that he has to raise to the top is just amazing . His dedication is amazing as a minority it has taught me to persevere and working towards a Science degree
Original post by FrostedStarzzz
He is still an inspiration . The qualities that he has to raise to the top is just amazing . His dedication is amazing as a minority it has taught me to persevere and working towards a Science degree

Lol Are you trying to debate my opinion right now with your opinion? Good for you not that everyone trying to pursue a science degree will be inspired by a marathon runner?? That's just you and what does him being a minority have to do with it?? you as a minority need an athlete as motivation to want to get a good job and education?? Lol People are simple these days :s

Quick Reply