The Student Room Group

Somali immigrant Mo Farah knighted

Scroll to see replies

It's Mohammed.
It's all fun and games until it turns out he was on drugs all along.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
The only thing stopping me from going into the streets and stabbing people is seeing one of my people get knighted /sarcasm

^ That's what white people think, anyways.

I don't even know but it's such a wind up that people are circle jerking around clapping like circus seals about this. Once a black person gets knighted for academic achievement or business they started then call me. Until then, please. So patronising. But if this is what certain people need to be inspired then lol ok.
Reply 23
Political correctness gone mad. If he was Nick Griffin he would never have been knighted.
Good for him. He is one of our most successful athletes and definitely deserved this knighthood.
Original post by Salt Queen
I don't even know but it's such a wind up that people are circle jerking around clapping like circus seals about this. Once a black person gets knighted for academic achievement or business they started then call me. Until then, please. So patronising. But if this is what certain people need to be inspired then lol ok.

Arise Sir Ainsley:

http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/Ainsley+harriott+_7e28b9acc9f3e7f0c6897f9c1b60dca4.jpg
If only all Somalis were like this in the UK :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2
Political correctness gone mad. If he was Nick Griffin he would never have been knighted.

Original post by SMEGGGY
If only all Somalis were like this in the UK :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh... It's a wind up :lol:

And if only all Somalis were like WHAT?? athletic? So stereotypical for a black guy to be honoured for that I'm actually annoyed right now. knight a black guy who graduated from uni with a First if they wanna make a "good example" for "black youth". If I roll my eyes any harder seriously they will fall out my head.
Lol Are you trying to debate my opinion right now with your opinion? Good for you not that everyone trying to pursue a science degree will be inspired by a marathon runner?? That's just you and what does him being a minority have to do with it?? you as a minority need an athlete as motivation to want to get a good job and education?? Lol People are simple these days :s

People can derive their inspiration from whoever/whatever. I'm not quite sure what your irritations with people admiring a hugely successful athlete are, especially in conjunction to their choice of degree/future career. Many of the qualities Farah exhibits can be applied generally to other fields, so it's not so surprising people can and do look up to him.
(edited 6 years ago)

:colonhash: he's made a complete clown of himself. find me someone else recently who's a black non athlete/entertainer. I take good examples for young black men seriously btw. And the knighting may not be about race. but op certainly is.
Original post by MrDystopia
People can derive their inspiration from whoever/whatever. I'm not quite sure what your irritation with people admiring a hugely successful athlete are, especially in conjunction to their choice of degree/future career. Many of the qualities Farah exhibits can be applied generally to other fields, so it's not so surprising people can and do look up to him.

Good for you x
Being an Olympic level athlete is a much greater achievement than graduating from university.
Lol Are you trying to debate my opinion right now with your opinion? Good for you not that everyone trying to pursue a science degree will be inspired by a marathon runner?? That's just you and what does him being a minority have to do with it?? you as a minority need an athlete as motivation to want to get a good job and education?? Lol People are simple these days :s

Ermmm no . Don’t get “salty” . I was just stating my opinion not trying to start some kind of war . I clearly know not everyone will get inspired but I just stated a simple , coherent opinion just to add to your comment. And yes I take inspiration from an athlete who is also a “minority” and I know other people do , but we don’t “need” them .
Let me just tell you I value him and others for their qualities - not just their academic success.
Stop bringing his achievement down -
(edited 6 years ago)
LMAOOOO this thread went from 0-100
Original post by Laissez‒faire
Being an Olympic level athlete is a much greater achievement than graduating from university.

Lol no it's not are you mad??! Most Olympians get nothing for that except IF someone decides to sponsor them like pay them to be in ads. Otherwise they fall into obscurity. How can you tell people education means nothing...on a student forum...what kind of website is this??? :lol:
Original post by FrostedStarzzz
Ermmm no . Don’t get “salty” . I was just stating my opinion not trying to start some kind of war . I clearly know not everyone will get inspired but I just stated a simple , coherent opinion just to add to your comment. And yes I take inspiration from an athlete who is also a “minority” and I know other people do , but we don’t “need” them .
Let me just tell you I value him and others for their qualities - not just their academic success.
Stop bringing his achievement down -

Whatever to all of this text I'm just saying it's random of you to take inspiration from a runner to do a science degree 😐. But I already said if that's what motivates you then ok good. I wouldn't sit around waiting for a jogger to inspire me to achieve is all. :h:
Lol no it's not are you mad??! Most Olympians get nothing for that except IF someone decides to sponsor them like pay them to be in ads. Otherwise they fall into obscurity. How can you tell people education means nothing...on a student forum...what kind of website is this??? :lol:

Strawman. Being a greater achievement doesn't imply education means nothing.
Strawman. Being a greater achievement doesn't imply education means nothing.

Yes it does. You're minimising education which is one of the biggest hurdles for black and poor non black people to come up in society, every country as well. It's a strangely bad example to overlook more realistic practical achievements that many people like Mo cant even attain. Why don't you get it.
Yes it does. You're minimising education which is one of the biggest hurdles for black and poor non black people to come up in society, every country as well. It's a strangely bad example to overlook more realistic practical achievements that many people like Mo cant even attain. Why don't you get it.

No it doesn't. I didn't say becoming an athlete is more realistic than graduating either, that's exactly why it's a greater achievement.

But aspiring to become an Olympian is not a viable model for increased social mobility of black people in this country. Supporting black people in this country by looking at their educational achievements inspires participation in that viable model of wide-scale prosperity: university education.

Besides, Mo Farah got a knighthood (and commercial success) for being the best of the best in his field. Simply becoming an athlete tends to not provide commercial success or long-term financial security.

Quick Reply

Latest