The Student Room Group

Somali immigrant Mo Farah knighted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
But aspiring to become an Olympian is not a viable model for increased social mobility of black people in this country. Supporting black people in this country by looking at their educational achievements inspires participation in that viable model of wide-scale prosperity: university education.

Besides, Mo Farah got a knighthood (and commercial success) for being the best of the best in his field. Simply becoming an athlete tends to not provide commercial success or long-term financial security.

What does my post have to do with black people?
Original post by Laissez‒faire

By operation of logic, both things pertain to black people. Often concurrently.

I am explaining to you the value of promoting other values besides impressiveness.
By operation of logic, both things pertain to black people. Often concurrently.

I am explaining to you the value of promoting other values besides impressiveness.

No they don't, I made no mention of race. Stop forcing it into everything.

I also didn't say anything about promoting one over the other.
Would a postman get knighted for doing his job at a top level? Probably not. This whole knighting business seems a bit hollow sometimes. They just give honours and titles out to anyone these days.
Can't y'all just stfu and stop complaining?? Uff
No it doesn't. I didn't say becoming an athlete is more realistic than graduating either, that's exactly why it's a greater achievement.

Yes it does...And yes you are minimising education as an achievement. So is this how you argue? Just deny and restate? Lol. And I didn't say you said that. 😐 I AM SAYING that the reason I DISAGREE with you is BECAUSE being an Olympian much more an Olympic winner (:lol:) (much more a multi winner) isn't realistic. so people particularly minorities should aspire to be something great that IS realistic. Its crunch time, black men don't have time to pipe dream, they need their education. How can you say otherwise. Get it? :erm: you don't have to respond
Original post by Emerald777O
Can't y'all just stfu and stop complaining?? Uff

Um no don't tell me to "stfu" bye??

Lmao cop out. This entire discussion is about black people 😂 When op said congrats for being from a wartorn country and I'm sure people have made it racial in social media. Don't shove your head in the sand.
No they don't, I made no mention of race. Stop forcing it into everything.

I also didn't say anything about promoting one over the other.

Someone had made the point that intelligence of black people should be acknowledged with more primacy than athletic ability. You, at the same time, said that being an Olympian is more impressive than graduating university. It is quite a weasel response to now turn and say that I injected a race element into the conversation: you knew that was the discussion and thought your "more impressive" point was decisive on the matter. Now I have explained how your point could be rebutted and you are trying to say race is completely irrelevant to your post.
Original post by Salt Queen
Yes it does...And yes you are minimising education as an achievement. So is this how you argue? Just deny and restate? Lol. And I didn't say you said that. 😐 I AM SAYING that the reason I DISAGREE with you is BECAUSE being an Olympian much more an Olympic winner (:lol:) (much more a multi winner) isn't realistic. so people particularly minorities should aspire to be something great that IS realistic. Its crunch time, black men don't have time to pipe dream, they need their education. How can you say otherwise. Get it? :erm: you don't have to respond

I agree it isn't realistic and people should aspire to be something that is realistic, but again, that has nothing to do with my initial post :lol:

Lmao cop out. This entire discussion is about black people When op said congrats for being from a wartorn country and I'm sure people have made it racial in social media. Don't shove your head in the sand.

Really, how does being from a war torn country imply you're black? 😂
Whatever to all of this text I'm just saying it's random of you to take inspiration from a runner to do a science degree 😐. But I already said if that's what motivates you then ok good. I wouldn't sit around waiting for a jogger to inspire me to achieve is all. :h:

Since when do you wait for inspiration (in This context) ? And how on Earth is being inspired by someone who shows dedication random? TBH he is a better inspiration than other uk black celebrities :smile: - as someone posted above his qualities are transferable to other fields . Who knows I might write “thx mo farah at the draft of my dissertation one day lol jk. Don’t take anything personal.
I agree it isn't realistic and people should aspire to be something that is realistic, but again, that has nothing to do with my initial post :lol:

Really, how does being from a war torn country imply you're black? 😂

Omg the look of being baffled is so hard on my face right now..

Dear...he IS black. There is no implication made or needed lol. And ok glad we can agree on something 😐.
Someone had made the point that intelligence of black people should be acknowledged with more primacy than athletic ability. You, at the same time, said that being an Olympian is more impressive than graduating university. It is quite a weasel response to now turn and say that I injected a race element into the conversation: you knew that was the discussion and thought your "more impressive" point was decisive on the matter. Now I have explained how your point could be rebutted and you are trying to say race is completely irrelevant to your post.

How do you know what I knew? :rofl: I'm telling you there was no race element in my post.
Omg the look of being baffled is so hard on my face right now..

Dear...he IS black. There is no implication made or needed lol. And ok glad we can agree on something 😐.

So what if he's black? what I said would hold true whatever race he was
It was me it was me I said it I said it!! :rave:

Using names, especially one as silly as Salt Queen, dilutes the authoritative quasi-judicial tone of my post.
@FrostedStarzzz

no to whatever you've said. I want to go to bed in peace and you will raise my blood pressure so whatever you quote me with, ok good, if that's what you think honey 👏👏 Night 👋.
Using names, especially one as silly as Salt Queen, dilutes the authoritative quasi-judicial tone of my post.

😂😂 you already told me you hate my name. Ok I'll delete the post to you ❤.
I like everything about this story.

The knighthood is well deserved and I'm glad his achievements have been recognised.

I also find it really heartening and refreshing that I haven't seen this become political anywhere in the media. A black Somali immigrant sportsman has been given an honour. He proudly accepted it and everyone else is pleased for him. And on the whole we're not talking about it beyond that. It's excellent really.
So what if he's black?

Original post by TimmonaPortella
. A black Somali immigrant sportsman. It's excellent really.

See? It's about him being black and its quite pathetic that sports is all black men get honoured for instead of more important stuff I'm sure black men out there are doing/need to be doing, end of.
(edited 6 years ago)
See? It's about him being black and its quite pathetic that sports is all black men get honoured for instead of more important stuff I'm sure black men out there are doing/need to be doing, end of.

Nope. You are not going to take this away from me. As far as I'm concerned no-one is making this political and I'm very pleased about it.

Quick Reply

Latest