Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. After refreshing track constantly I got two offers today. Liverpool for ABB and Birmingham gave me an unconditional?! (AAA if I insurance it!).

Opinions on Birmingham for law?
    Primarily however, I wasn't massively interested in this university previously, but would I be silly not to take an unconditional offer for law? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Drewwww)
    Hey guys. After refreshing track constantly I got two offers today. Liverpool for ABB and Birmingham gave me an unconditional?! (AAA if I insurance it!).

Primarily however, I wasn't massively interested in this university previously, but would I be silly not to take an unconditional offer for law? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Depends how much you rate your chances and how much you want to go elsewhere. Birmingham is perfectly respectable, but what other offers would you be giving up?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Unconditional if firmed offers are made to manipulate you into accepting a university you wouldn’t otherwise.

Don’t fall for it. If they’re willing to take ANY grade then they’re desperate for students - what do you think that means about the quality of the course.

Wait until you have all your offers in in April and then pick your FAVOURITE university as your firm choice (ignore the offer conditions completely). Once you know your firm see if any of your other offers are lower and pick an insurance that you would be happy to go to (better to have an insurance that is higher or the same grades as your firm or to have bo insurance than to pick a place you wouldn’t be happy to get into)

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is the "better" course in name and reputation. That does not mean you will enjoy the city, university, the social life and all those other important things, or even that you will enjoy the course more than you would Liverpool's.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts?
    To add to what PQ has told you, do not forget that holding an unconditional offer precludes you from using UCAS Adjustment to explore other universities should your results be better than expected. The whole point of UiF offers is to work to the advantage of the university, not the candidate.

Bear in mind also that many employers consider A-level results for graduate jobs and, should you accept the offer, make sure your A-level results are not affected by slackening off your efforts and motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Don’t fall for it. If they’re willing to take ANY grade then they’re desperate for students - what do you think that means about the quality of the course.
    Birmingham's standard offer is AAA. Its offer rate is 70%. Average UCAS points on entry: 406.

Liverpool's standard offer is ABB. Its offer rate is 93%. Average UCAS points on entry: 389.

Birmingham does not seem too desperate (70%), especially compared to Liverpool which requires EVERYONE only to have a modest ABB. Although, for an AAA course, Birmingham is at the lower end for average UCAS points, suggesting it is not a true AAA course.
    • Very Important Poster

I would take Birmingham over Liverpool every day of the week.
    OP which other unis did you choose and do you have any offers?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Birmingham's standard offer is AAA. Its offer rate is 70%. Average UCAS points on entry: 406.

Liverpool's standard offer is ABB. Its offer rate is 93%. Average UCAS points on entry: 389.

Birmingham does not seem too desperate (70%), especially compared to Liverpool which requires EVERYONE only to have a modest ABB. Although, for an AAA course, Birmingham is at the lower end for average UCAS points, suggesting it is not a true AAA course.
    Average tariff points doesn’t mean much if there’s a substantial minority on the course with CCC or lower because they stopped working on their A levels after firming for the unconditional.

Ucas stats show people with unconditional offers tend to fall 2 grades on average below their PREDICTED grades. If brum are making unconditional offers to people predicted AAA then that means they’re more than happy accepting ABB (and likely end up accepting much lower grades - their average tariff intake is only ~half a grade lower than Liverpool despite their “offer “ being 2 grades higher - they’re manipulating applicants by inflating their offer grades well above what they accept and using UiF offers to skew conversation rates).

A university that holds their own interests above encouraging applicants to make the right choice for them isn’t going to offer a great study environment imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.