Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxbridge veteran - will PREDICT if you will get an offer or not. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im really experienced at this having graduated from both universities.

Just give me:

GCSEs
    AS Level UMS scores
    Subject
    Most prestigious/interesting extra-circular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWSWLM)

Just give me:

GCSEs
    AS Level UMS scores
    Subject
    No, you're not experienced. Even an admissions tutor would have a hard time predicting from the information that you've asked for. If there's an admissions test, that's more important than what you've listed IMO.

Bad troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    No, you're not experienced. Even an admissions tutor would have a hard time predicting from the information that you've asked for. If there's an admissions test, that's more important than what you've listed IMO.

Bad troll.
    Well then gimme the admissions test score too.

ReputationRep:
    14 A*s and distinction in further maths
    Predicted 5A*s A level
    Tutoring younger students in maths
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You don't get to know that until after the admissions process has concluded, but you apparently didn't know that either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    14 A*s and distinction in further maths
    Predicted 5A*s A level
    Tutoring younger students in maths
    You're applying for Maths I presume?

I didn't know further maths had a GCSE - i thought it was one of those watered down subjects like 'additional maths'

The key for Maths though isn't GCSE A*s nor Extra Circ.

Most important things are
    -college specific admissions tests
    - INTERVIEW PROBLEMING SOLVING ABILITY - most important
    - being able to get 1,1 in STEP II/III
    - UMS scores in the difficult AS level modules like Fp1 or C4 if you did it early

So its quite hard to judge from those stats, but i think ull get it

ReputationRep:

Just give me:

GCSEs
    AS Level UMS scores
    Subject
    Hypothetically:

GCSEs: 14 A*
    AS level UMS scores: All 95+
    Subject: Mathematics
    EC: None
    MAT score: 82

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Hypothetically:

GCSEs: 14 A*
    AS level UMS scores: All 95+
    Subject: Mathematics
    EC: None
    MAT score: 82
    lol why did you apply to Oxford?

Everyone knows if you really want to be amongst the best in the country, go for Cambridge.

Oxford and Cambridge are fairly indistinguishable for most subjects, but for Maths there's are big gap IMO

Anyway, with those stats, I reckon you'll get into Oxford. No one cares about EC in maths. 82 in MAT is insanely high. 95+ is a bit low tbh, when i did further maths/maths as a combo, i got 597/600 in C1-4,FP1-2 and i was applying for Nat Sci!

ReputationRep:
    This is such a joke, but you know this. Why do you enjoy getting people's hopes up?

Just so everyone but this troll is aware:
    My friend got rejected last year from Engineering at Cambridge with:
    -GCSE's: 12A*
    -A Levels: 6A* predicted (98% Maths and FM)
    -Arkwright scholar

He got rejected because of the interview. Which is not something anyone but the tutors can quantify.

ReputationRep:
    lol why did you apply to Oxford?
    Like I said, hypothetically. I already have my degrees from Oxford.

Anyway, with those stats, I reckon you'll get into Oxford. No one cares about EC in maths. 82 in MAT is insanely high.
    Last year, that MAT score guaranteed an interview, but only a ~50% chance of an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    This is such a joke, but you know this. Why do you enjoy getting people's hopes up?

-Arkwright scholar

He got rejected because of the interview. Which is not something anyone but the tutors can quantify.
    Hmm well his A-Levels would be a retrospective thing wouldn't it. So before that, maybe his UMS scores weren't as great at the end of AS. But you're right - purely from those stats its difficult to know.

Was there an admissions test?
    How much time did he spend preparing for problem solving type questions before the interview?

ReputationRep:
    You plan to predict based on a factor that is completely ignored by the universities? Ho hum!

ReputationRep:

Just give me:

GCSEs
    AS Level UMS scores
    Subject
    I am interested to see what you say, but you'll say I won't get an offer, I know that already. GCSEs, after all.

GCSEs: 3A*s, 3As, 4Bs, 1C
    AS Level UMS scores: I'm not sure how to calculate these, but in the one AS I did I got an A grade overall.
    Subject: History and English
    Most prestigious extra curricular: Either that I'm an editor for my college's student newspaper and I'm running my own edition for LGBT+ history month or that I helped judge the YA Book Prize this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You plan to predict based on a factor that is completely ignored by the universities? Ho hum!
    Its not completely ignored

For something like Medicine, if you spend all of your time memorising gene sequences, you're not getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Its not completely ignored
    Neither are you, completely, but you might as well be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)

-Arkwright scholar

He must have been a hard worker who was smart but didnt have the intellectual ability to think beyond a set curriculum - which is basically what a university is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    He must have been a hard worker who was smart but didnt have the intellectual ability to think beyond a set curriculum - which is basically what a university is.
    Then he wasn't smart...

If you're an expert at answering EdExcel Maths papers but can't handle the creativity you need for STEP, or OCR Biology questions but can't handle the pace of BMAT - then you're not smart, you're just hard-working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Yeh that's probably true. Although I'm sure he's pretty happy now averaging a fairly high first at Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieCeeJay)
    I am interested to see what you say, but you'll say I won't get an offer, I know that already. GCSEs, after all.

GCSEs: 3A*s, 3As, 4Bs, 1C
    AS Level UMS scores: I'm not sure how to calculate these, but in the one AS I did I got an A grade overall.
    Subject: History and English
    Most prestigious extra curricular: Either that I'm an editor for my college's student newspaper and I'm running my own edition for LGBT+ history month or that I helped judge the YA Book Prize this year
    Yeah its difficult to say given those baseline grades. I think I have seen people get in with similar grades; they generally are very impressive at interview and have absolutely glowing statements from their teachers. Also, they usually come from schools where those GCSEs are amongst the top of the year group.

I wish you lots of luck nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    Then he wasn't smart...

If you're an expert at answering EdExcel Maths papers but can't handle the creativity you need for STEP, or OCR Biology questions but can't handle the pace of BMAT - then you're not smart, you're just hard-working.
    To be fair not everyone is blessed with natural intelligence, if anything it's more impressive he got the grades from pure effort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.