Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxbridge veteran - will PREDICT if you will get an offer or not. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Yeh that's probably true. Although I'm sure he's pretty happy now averaging a fairly high first at Imperial
    All he has to do is take a few courses in Data Science and get a PhD with a heavy machine-learning element.

Imperial PhDs with ML experience are **** HOT right now - easy 6 figures on graduation in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWSWLM)
    Yeah its difficult to say given those baseline grades. I think I have seen people get in with similar grades; they generally are very impressive at interview and have absolutely glowing statements from their teachers. Also, they usually come from schools where those GCSEs are amongst the top of the year group.

I wish you lots of luck nonetheless
    Thank you! I'll make sure to come back and post here if I do get given an offer

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a meme but I am also strangely compelled to take part.....
    Camb phys natsci
    Gcse:4A*(m+sci), 3A, 1C
    A-level: A* in maths (82,100,100,92,91,88 in c1-4,s1, m1), AAAA at AS (maths, physics, chemistry- both 15-20% above A boundary, eng lit), predicted A*A*A* in fm, physics, chem.
    Extra curricular: Gold in lower sixth chem challenge. Might hear back from round 1 physics olympiad before interview so if I do v well I'll probs mention that in interview.

ReputationRep:
    Then he wasn't smart...

If you're an expert at answering EdExcel Maths papers but can't handle the creativity you need for STEP, or OCR Biology questions but can't handle the pace of BMAT - then you're not smart, you're just hard-working.
    Smart is an abstract concept. You're pointing out the obvious really.

Yeh that's probably true. Although I'm sure he's pretty happy now averaging a fairly high first at Imperial
    Oh damn well good on him (although it's not really a shock).

Also I do think Oxbridge is overrated in a sense that people say it has a very different and better learning environment. Apart from their supervision system that other top unis have tried to replicate in some aspects, it's really just academically rigorous and your friend would have coped

ReputationRep:
    My mate had a torrid time with her supervisor doing her DPhil at Oxford. Put me off going there for mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    I know this is a meme but I am also strangely compelled to take part.....
    Camb phys natsci
    Gcse:4A*(m+sci), 3A, 1C
    A-level: A* in maths (82,100,100,92,91,88 in c1-4,s1, m1), AAAA at AS (maths, physics, chemistry- both 15-20% above A boundary, eng lit), predicted A*A*A* in fm, physics, chem.
    Extra curricular: Gold in lower sixth chem challenge. Might hear back from round 1 physics olympiad before interview so if I do v well I'll probs mention that in interview.
    Is there an admissions test?

I think those grades would probably be OK - obviously you know GCSEs are on the low side. The AS level stuff is good and compensates for the GCSEs to some extent - I really like the solid performances at A-Level Maths.

I think for you it might all boil down to how you perform at interview, I think you need a fantastic performance at interview to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Smart is an abstract concept. You're pointing out the obvious really.

Oh damn well good on him (although it's not really a shock).

Also I do think Oxbridge is overrated in a sense that people say it has a very different and better learning environment. Apart from their supervision system that other top unis have tried to replicate in some aspects, it's really just academically rigorous and your friend would have coped
    I think Imperial and UCL are not far behind. Those four universities produce the most sought after graduates by a long way.

And thats fair enough.

OK you didnt get into Oxbridge, fine, may be you applied to a competitive college with a few places and lots of good applicants that year and you were just unlucky...

You didnt get into Imperial? And then...you ALSO didnt get into UCL ?

Now you have 3 rejections from places where people know you would have applied - it cant all be bad luck?

ReputationRep:
    I think Imperial and UCL are not far behind. Those four universities produce the most sought after graduates by a long way.

And thats fair enough.

OK you didnt get into Oxbridge, fine, may be you applied to a competitive college with a few places and lots of good applicants that year and you were just unlucky...

You didnt get into Imperial? And then...you ALSO didnt get into UCL ?

Now you have 3 rejections from places where people know you would have applied - it cant all be back luck?
    What?

The way you talk makes me think you're not even at uni or going through the process. Or you're just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Is there an admissions test?

I think those grades would probably be OK - obviously you know GCSEs are on the low side. The AS level stuff is good and compensates for the GCSEs to some extent - I really like the solid performances at A-Level Maths.

I think for you it might all boil down to how you perform at interview, I think you need a fantastic performance at interview to get in.
    It's like a magic 8 ball or a fortune cookie XD. Yeah there was a pre-interview assessment and I think I did very well in some sections but around average/slightly above in others. And by do very well in the physics olympiad, I mean like get top 150 which is gold which depending on the selection of questions, I feel like I might potentially reach (potentially). But yeah I'm feeling p 50:50 on if I'll get in or not, I guess I'll just have to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    It's like a magic 8 ball or a fortune cookie XD. Yeah there was a pre-interview assessment and I think I did very well in some sections but around average/slightly above in others. And by do very well in the physics olympiad, I mean like get top 150 which is gold which depending on the selection of questions, I feel like I might potentially reach (potentially). But yeah I'm feeling p 50:50 on if I'll get in or not, I guess I'll just have to see.
    Well its good that you've done so well in the olympiad. Those kinds of questions are along the same lines of the interview questions. Good luck - i hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    Well its good that you've done so well in the olympiad. Those kinds of questions are along the same lines of the interview questions. Good luck - i hope you get in
    That's what I hope to get but I haven't actually done it yet XD. The test is on Friday but I could totally bugger it up. That said I am good at working under pressure and doing thing quickly. The really nice thing about the round 1 is that you have a very large choice in questions so it basically comes down to luck if questions come up on topics that I am good at XD. But yeah by practising the questions I am training the problem solving skills I'll need in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Rate my chances?

Oxford Chem
    Gcse: 8A* 2A
    A-level: AAAB at AS, predicted A*A*Aa at A-level. Maths 90%, chem 98% and bio 95%. The other was history, which I dropped and I'm now taking up further maths AS.
    Extra curricular: Nothing impressive- did a couple summer schools, got bronze in CCC :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    This is such a joke, but you know this. Why do you enjoy getting people's hopes up?

Just so everyone but this troll is aware:
    My friend got rejected last year from Engineering at Cambridge with:
    -GCSE's: 12A*
    -A Levels: 6A* predicted (98% Maths and FM)
    -Arkwright scholar

He got rejected because of the interview. Which is not something anyone but the tutors can quantify.
    Meh, I think it's stupid if the admissions tutors overlook years of exam results in favour of two 20-minute interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poooky)
    Rate my chances?

Oxford Chem
    Gcse: 8A* 2A
    A-level: AAAB at AS, predicted A*A*Aa at A-level. Maths 90%, chem 98% and bio 95%. The other was history, which I dropped and I'm now taking up further maths AS.
    Extra curricular: Nothing impressive- did a couple summer schools, got bronze in CCC :laugh:
    Yeah good chances as long as you're not from one of those schools that is a 10A* factory.

And make sure you're well read - read around your subject a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    As someone who has actually taken degrees in and outside Oxbridge, it really is completely different. It's all very well to say 'apart from their supervision system', but the supervision/tutorial system is the absolute core of teaching at Oxbridge. It has not been meaningfully replicated in my experience, and that's not surprising given nowhere else has the resources to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good chances as long as you're not from one of those schools that is a 10A* factory.

And make sure you're well read - read around your subject a little.
    Was just testing you- I just finished my degree there
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This should be interesting.:beard:

GCSEs: A*A*A*AAAAABB
    AS Level UMS scores:
    AS Maths: 93, 89, 97
    Didn't do any other ASs due to A Level reforms.
    Subject: Education Studies (Cambridge)
    Most prestigious/interesting extra-circular: I worked for the city council.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    This should be interesting.:beard:

GCSEs: A*A*A*AAAAABB
    AS Level UMS scores:
    AS Maths: 93, 89, 97
    Didn't do any other ASs due to A Level reforms.
    Subject: Education Studies (Cambridge)
    Most prestigious/interesting extra-circular: I worked for the city council.
    You're already at university.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're already at university.
    I can still apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I can still apply.
    Is this a hypothetical situation or have you actually applied?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.